Dual e5-2670 and 256gb of DDR3 $600 with no bids. Ends in 6 hours

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 10, 2016
I see the issue at least on this item. They're resisting the server, initially claimed it was PC3-12800R and someone purchased it for much more than the starting bid. Looks like it was relisted due to this. Maybe not the best seller to deal with. Looks like they may not sure exactly what they have and just trying to make as much as they can.

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
I'd price the e5-2670's at $160. 2x4GB PC3-12800R equals $14 x 32 = $448. All together = $608. Yup, it's a good deal.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If it all works still not a bad deal really.
Say the RAM is $30 for 16GB 8500R still almost $500 for 16 dimms.

I'm not jumping on this but still not a bad price.

FWIW I'd like to see real life small business application response time between the slow ram and fast ram... I mean if it's in ANY RAM it's still faster than seeking from a HDD or even a SSD, so while slow it still most def. has it's usages!! I have a couple dozen 16GB 8500R in use and sitting around for going in a system. /off topic end

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@BackupProphet not at all what I'm looking for.

RAM benchmarks really don't mean anything without a practical application usage comparison... thus the "small business" usage. I'm also not talking about any type of SQL usage, although it's a nice comparison. I find benchmarks are just bandwidth vs. bandwidth or for Enterprise where bandwidth matters because stuff is coming in and out ALL THE TIME. I'd like to see how it affects small businesses that have data sitting in RAM until accessed (often for hours or even days), it's my understanding in such case the latency is really all that matters since you don't have 2+ 40Gbit pipes zapping 5-8GB of data in RAM for transpo at a time, continuously all day 24/7...

RESI benchmarks but not contiuous but a "1 time" request.
x Ram vs Y Ram would be interesting in such case to me.
I don't care about performance boost over 24 hours since most small/med biz RARELY see any of that utilization. If it's 1s vs .5s etc... in response time would be VERY goo dto know.

Reactions: hakabe

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If your running VM's or DB's the even more slower ram is king, the more you can get in memory the better from a performance point of view.

Put simple 200gb of DB block buffers at DDR3 8500 will still way out perform 100gb of DB block buffers at DDR3 10600 speed.

On enterprise kit like HP also keep in mind populating the 3rd channel on the older systems usually drops the speed as well so double size ram in 2 channels often may be no slower than smaller faster modules in 3 channels, and with more memory as well :)

Fast ram is nice but for most applications (certainly there is some workloads that less faster memory is better) the more the better.

Reactions: T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I have plenty of the Gen8 bl460 blades with that exact config 16x16gb dimm of 16x32gb dimm running VM workloads, not much to say other than it just works :)