Recent content by abulafia

1. A

Help me pick a replacement home firewall/router

I think it's more than that, that it's just ok for lab or home, especially since the OP mentioned that there is a business element to it in a post. But let's assume, given that we're on this forum, that whatever the hardware or budget, the idea is to do the best with it (excepting crazy...
  2. A

I had, and still have the same instinct. And was, and still am, very wrong: Virtual Routers • /r/sysadmin I mean... vSRX Integrated Virtual Firewall - Juniper Networks and Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000V Series - Products & Services and of course Virtual Systems
  3. A

Thoughts on USB booting

If you can boot ISOs but not USB, but the USB passes through functionally, perhaps boot a non writeable ISO and pass through a USB or other local storage, and then mount rw the writeable local storage somewhere on the LiveCD's created file system? Even if the mount point you need to write to...
  4. A

Argh. One other thing about the CLI. I have seen many devices, in fact pretty much everything SoHo up, that allows you to apply changes to your running configuration independent of saving them in the startup config. What I have never seen is a web GUI that lets you make changes across...
  5. A

One other reason to virtualize at both levels - with a hypervisor at the edge, a separate, independent, non networked even, IDS is free, not running on your router and increasing it's complexity, dependencies, and vulnerability/attack surface. It's not the same as a tap, but there's definitely...
  6. A

Actually, even on EdgeOS, I barely use the web interface any more. Their new SPI web graphic stuff is nice, but very RAM intensive on such small boxes. And iptraf is more controllable. And logging is better done elsewhere. But it is nice, even if the current 1.8b3 EdgeOS locked up my...
  7. A

Originally I used to use Edgerouters, for my extended LAN, but have come to despise them; 2 of 4 failed, maybe a third at a remote site recently. And the RMA time was painful, as it has been on UniFi. And you either have fail prone USB storage (see the forums, also see the replacement...
  8. A

M.2 drive for SM X10SDV-F

Yup, been out a couple of months. 80GB is about $100. http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-m2-spec.pdf
  9. A

M.2 drive for SM X10SDV-F

FWIW, I have a Plextor M6e 256GB, a 941 128GB, and a 750 PCIe 400GB model (which I'm starting to regret - the form factor, not the drive). I got the Plextor because it was the only PCIe B+M card (2x2.0) I could find (Sandisk A110 being the other, quite old, warranty-less option) but unlike the...
  10. A

Samsung 845DC EVO 480GB - $159.99

Damn, I was looking for an SSD with in flight PLP and HW encryption which I could afford to store 4TB (logical) of largely read data with short term expansion to 5TB in some sort of fault tolerant arrangement (and I take suggestions), using my just received CSE-216 and with an as yet chosen SAS...
  11. A

$30.29 OBO - HP 10GB Mellanox ConnectX-2 10GBe SFP+

@PigLover are you sure about the CX-2 (just EN, no Pro, VPI, etc.) http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/ConnectX-2_RDMA_RoCE.pdf I swear I've had it working with RDMA to one of my CX-3s @spyrule I certainly use -need- more than 1GbE. Aside from allowing me to kick VMs around much...
  12. A

Request for help: Retrofit test server for 2.5" NVMe PCIe SSDs

I had been looking at the Supermicros while shopping what eventually because a "right now because I can use it regardless" Intel 750 card purchase, but 2.5 is obviously more appealing - but along the way I came across things like M.2 PCI-e I/F to mini SAS SFF-8087 and M.2 SATA I/F t SATA III...
  13. A

$30.29 OBO - HP 10GB Mellanox ConnectX-2 10GBe SFP+

I flashed one of mine (and lost my notes; took three hours to do and find a verifably correct image, five minutes to do, one second to forget to save the goddamn text file, so thank you) which gave me RDMA a while back, and to the best of my recollection, it worked, but when I reinstalled it...
  14. A

Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

THANK YOU I just brought my Quanta back into use temporarily, and have been having ridiculous problems with getting to the web interface at times, which coupled with the fact that I was rSTP + LACP'ed to that edge-ish switch spot (formerly a Cisco SG-300-10P which had no problems talking with my...
  15. A

Using a Rackmount Shelf for Servers

And upon clicking, Amazon tells me I purchased those on January 18, 2014 :-)