M.2 drive for SM X10SDV-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I went with a Supermicro 16GB SATA DOM for the ESXi boot drive and 512GB XP941 for primary high-speed VM storage. File server storage and some Linux VMs will be on a 3x2TB 2.5" drive RAID array on an LSI adapter. It's my first time using a SATA DOM so I'm curious to see how it will work as a vSphere boot drive.
I was thinking of just sticking with a USB boot drive for ESXi but maybe SATA DOM is a good option. But $50 for a 16GB boot drive seems steep.

dimension6

May 20, 2015
I was thinking of just sticking with a USB boot drive for ESXi but maybe SATA DOM is a good option. But $50 for a 16GB boot drive seems steep.
$50 isn't bad for specialized hardware. I've overall had good luck with USB drives and ESXi, but expect the SATA drive to be more reliable and much quicker. Although a vSphere boot drive failure wouldn't be a showstopper, it would definitely be annoying, especially if I'm not around home to get it fixed. I actually have an extra 60GB Intel 330 drive lying around, but that would require running another cable from my power supply (current cable has 3xSATA power connectors). My ITX case is already pretty tight as it is.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
$50 isn't bad for specialized hardware. I've overall had good luck with USB drives and ESXi, but expect the SATA drive to be more reliable and much quicker. Although a vSphere boot drive failure wouldn't be a showstopper, it would definitely be annoying, especially if I'm not around home to get it fixed. I actually have an extra 60GB Intel 330 drive lying around, but that would require running another cable from my power supply (current cable has 3xSATA power connectors). My ITX case is already pretty tight as it is.
Truth.

So I decided to pick up on those of those XP941 512GB for my VM storage as well. I also have 2 brand new Intel 730 SSD's that I now need to figure out what to do with in this build or else they are going back. I think I'm going to use one as a cache drive for my unRAID VM but unsure about what to do with the 2nd.

EDIT: Is there any reason not to go with the Samsung SM951 over the XP941 since the price is virtually the same? However the sequential read and write speeds are a good deal faster on the SM951.

EDIT #2: I see Samsung came out with an NVMe version of the SM951 but I can't find it for sale ANYWHERE.

Last edited:

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
No reason fo go the 941 over the 951 if you can get it, the 951 was going to be nvme originally but they decided not to unless that has changed since?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
No reason fo go the 941 over the 951 if you can get it, the 951 was going to be nvme originally but they decided not to unless that has changed since?
The SM951 comes in two versions. 1 is AHCI and the other is NVMe.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Unfortunately I can't find the NVMe model for sale anywhere.
Yep, officially the NVMe SM951 variant is not for sale (yet?). They are however able to found in some newer HP enterprise flash drives and in some upcoming laptops.

Interestingly enough, they seem to bench better then the Intel 750 at lower wattage too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yep, officially the NVMe SM951 variant is not for sale (yet?). They are however able to found in some newer HP enterprise flash drives and in some upcoming laptops.

Interestingly enough, they seem to bench better then the Intel 750 at lower wattage too.
I have a 750 400GB inbound. The 750 also has PLP so slightly different league.

Reactions: T_Minus

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
First time working with an M.2 SSD. I just installed a Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 drive into my SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F board. It doesn't seem to be detecting it. Is there something specific that I need to configure in the BIOS for this to be detected?

EDIT: Posted in my workstation thread as it seems I'm having a multitude of issues.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is there something specific that I need to configure in the BIOS for this to be detected?
Very strange. With the Samsung XP941 it was literally screw it in and it was detected/ worked.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Should we consolidate the threads I am not getting confused where I've replied to this thinking I've seen it twice now haha

abulafia

Jun 17, 2014
Manhattan
FWIW, I have a Plextor M6e 256GB, a 941 128GB, and a 750 PCIe 400GB model (which I'm starting to regret - the form factor, not the drive). I got the Plextor because it was the only PCIe B+M card (2x2.0) I could find (Sandisk A110 being the other, quite old, warranty-less option) but unlike the other two, it's given me nothing but problems. Anecdotal, single sample, but there you go.

I needed B-key for my vPro NUC 5i5 (why, Intel, why) and if doing it all over again, I'd just go with a S3500 M.2 for reliability, especially if I were using it as a hyper visor boot drive -- and in fact, as I do use my NUCs, especially the vPro ones, as test or supplemental VM hosts, it's on my shopping list for exactly that purpose.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
They have a S3500 m2 now?!?! I've been hoping for something enterprise to slap in but haven't had much luck in the m2 size... uRL? I've only seen the older intels.