Samsung 845DC EVO 480GB - $159.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Great deal. Too bad no MC here. BTW @JimPhreak this might help.
Thanks for the link @Patrick. Looks like the performance is quite similar. The one thing that is attractive to me is the more than twice as large write endurance (300TB compared to 128TB) of the 845DC compared to the Intel 730's. Considering I'll be using these drives as cache for my storage server, that could be an issue for me down the road with all the writing I'll be doing to them.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
From what I can tell searching online this seems to be a ridiculous price for this drive. What I can't tell is the value proposition of this drive over say the 850 Pro, so I am really torn between jumping on this deal before I actually have my storage server versus waiting it out.

It seems the 850 Pro 512MB is faster and has a 10 year warranty with 150 TDW.
The 845DC EVO 480MB is slower and has a 5 year warranty with 300 TDW.

The only other thing I can distinguish in trying to compare the two is that the 845DC EVO has a mechanism to flush data properly in the event of a power failure. Otherwise the 850 Pro is newer and faster and not *that* much more expensive.

Can anyone speak to the value proposition of the 845DC EVO over the 850 Pro for a home/lab server? I will be using these drives as caching SSD drives, but I haven't begun to assemble my storage server yet because I keep waiting for those Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F motherboards to get stocked (and at a reasonable price), so I think it might be a little foolish of me to jump into action and buy these now where they will likely sit around doing nothing for a few months.

Thank you for any insights/opinions.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@HotFix I think you mean GB there. But different classes of drives. The 850 Pro is consumer so no PLP. 845DC EVO has power loss protection. BUT The EVO is TLC (3D nand tho)

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
Yeah... I meant GB. D'oh! :confused:

Is the 845DC EVO being TLC (with 3D nand) a bad thing? I guess that might be why it is slower than the 840 Pro with MLC V-NAND.

I found this comparison that shows the 845DC EVO is bested by the 850 Pro:
Best SSD Group Test: Six of the best tested
but at a price of $239 for the 850 Pro I could get 3 of the 845DC EVOs.

I still feel like I am missing something.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
MLC 3-d vnand is orders better on write endurance than any TLC or older planar MLC due to the high 40nm~ size mostly!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do not know their standard test methodology, but that is a consumer workload looking results not a server workload. The 512GB 850 Pro does not have spare area like the 845DC Pro. When you hammer drives for even a few hours across the drives the 845DC Pro stays consistent while the 850 Pro starts to struggle. So for a client based SSD, that is probably a good source. For a server SSD, assuming it is on 24x7 I would not give that benchmark much credence.

The 845DC EVO likewise has more spare area. The 32GB used for spare area helps with wear leveling and allowing the drive to maintain more consistent performance.

Reactions: T_Minus

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
MLC 3-d vnand is orders better on write endurance than any TLC or older planar MLC due to the high 40nm~ size mostly!
Pardon my lack of experience/knowledge on the subject, but if that is the case then why does the 845DC EVO has double the TDW of the 850 Pro? I mean doesn't the manufacturer say the 845DC EVO drive will last longer by saying it can write 300 TB versus 150?

I am leaning heavily to buying 4 of these things, but with 4 of them I don't need 480GB in size each. So in theory I could get away with 4 x 850 Pro 256GB for ~$145 a pop.

And just as I was typing this, your post came in Patrick:
I do not know their standard test methodology, but that is a consumer workload looking results not a server workload. The 512GB 850 Pro does not have spare area like the 845DC Pro. When you hammer drives for even a few hours across the drives the 845DC Pro stays consistent while the 850 Pro starts to struggle. So for a client based SSD, that is probably a good source. For a server SSD, assuming it is on 24x7 I would not give that benchmark much credence.

The 845DC EVO likewise has more spare area. The 32GB used for spare area helps with wear leveling and allowing the drive to maintain more consistent performance.
Ok you convinced me, the 845DC will provide more consistent performance in my new storage system than the 850 Pros. Thank you for the explanation. :)

I will swing by tomorrow and pick up 4. The store says they have 9 still and they are closed for the night, so I must not doddle in the morning. I am planning on pairing these with 8 x 4TB HGST 7200 RPM NAS grade SATA disks. Hopefully that will take care of my personal and lab storage needs for quite some time.

BTW I really like the system you are using for your Forums, it's nice to be able to click Reply to two separate posts and have them both quoted in the Reply section.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
For a caching drive I'd look at the Intel S3700 myself, I personally use Samsung in my desktop, and have since the 840P came out (not SATA now).

Or, you can watch the sale threads here or ebay for Fusion IO drives, even better for cache drives IMHO. ($150-350 depending on size, and if you can wait or buy now).

Ebay also has NIB 100gb s3700 for $140.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The Samsung is a fine drive for read caching. And @HotFix :

New Samsung MZ7GE960HMHP 000AZ PM853T 2 5" 960GB SATA6 0Gbps | eBay

That is an example of a 960GB version (the PM853T is basically the same drive in OEM form). $375 BIN and sometimes they sell for even less. So $160 for a 480GB version is not too far out of line.
I'd love to see you do a READ test with Samsung drives (L2ARC, HEAVY REDIS READ, HEAVY MYSQL READ, whatever else READ). I mentioned it in another thread, but I recall seeing many tests when these came out (840P) that they REALLY slowed when they were utilized a lot and ran out of on-board cache/ram. Obviously the DC is not the PRO so maybe different firmware, garbage collection, ??? that fixes the old issue?

I'd love to see comparisons of the Samsung consumer/prosumer/DC/enterprise all compared where the cache would run out, and also just latency between all the drives and the Intels you have data on already as IMHO that's where the Intel really shines over the Samsung is in the much reduced latency.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
I'd love to see you do a READ test with Samsung drives (L2ARC, HEAVY REDIS READ, HEAVY MYSQL READ, whatever else READ). I mentioned it in another thread, but I recall seeing many tests when these came out (840P) that they REALLY slowed when they were utilized a lot and ran out of on-board cache/ram. Obviously the DC is not the PRO so maybe different firmware, garbage collection, ??? that fixes the old issue?

I'd love to see comparisons of the Samsung consumer/prosumer/DC/enterprise all compared where the cache would run out, and also just latency between all the drives and the Intels you have data on already as IMHO that's where the Intel really shines over the Samsung is in the much reduced latency.
While I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, here are some sustained read and write performances that include the 845DC Pro, EVO, the OEM Patrick mentioned, and a couple of other drives including the Intel drive you mentioned:
Samsung SSD 845DC EVO/PRO Performance Preview & Exploring IOPS Consistency

neeyuese

Feb 28, 2015
Yeah... I meant GB. D'oh! :confused:

Is the 845DC EVO being TLC (with 3D nand) a bad thing? I guess that might be why it is slower than the 840 Pro with MLC V-NAND.

I still feel like I am missing something.
845DC Evo use 2D 19nm TLC which same as 840 Evo. Also have old-written data read slow drops problem.

check link here : Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive - Page 234

840 EVO - 19nm TLC
840 - 21nm TLC
PM841 - 21nm TLC
PM851 - 21nm TLC (some SKUs)
845DC EVO - 19nm TLC
PM843 - 21nm TLC
PM853T - 21nm TLC

All have old-written data read slow drops problem

abulafia

Jun 17, 2014
Manhattan
Damn, I was looking for an SSD with in flight PLP and HW encryption which I could afford to store 4TB (logical) of largely read data with short term expansion to 5TB in some sort of fault tolerant arrangement (and I take suggestions), using my just received CSE-216 and with an as yet chosen SAS expander (I'll take suggestions there too). Aside from speed, it would allow me to save power by putting my Rackables+Perc H810 into backup/power up on demand. I would suppose I'd prefer 960GB for power and expansion, but this was the best GB/$ I've found.

These looked so perfect for my needs - especially noting the 10E17 UBER -that I cleared out my local MC of their six and was planning on getting more - should I not proceed with it? I have them on reservation and haven't picked them up or paid yet. Give how much I plan to spend on these, I'm hesitant to buy eBay because I want the warranty (in fact, I have to RMA a S3500 300GB from MC and I have much higher regard for Intel's SSDs - I do love when they have real equipment... neither their customers nor staff know to sell or buy them).

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm seriously considering returning my Intel 730's for a pair of these since I'd save another $70 on them. Still debating which would be better for my needs. One will be cache for my unRAID storage server and the other will be temp storage for downloading torrents.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm seriously considering returning my Intel 730's for a pair of these since I'd save another $70 on them. Still debating which would be better for my needs. One will be cache for my unRAID storage server and the other will be temp storage for downloading torrents.
If you have the Intel's, I would just avoid the hassle and keep them.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
4 of them successfully obtained. I also used a $5 off coupon from RetailMeNot. :)

Now I just need to figure out the rest of the parts to build my Windows Storage Spaces server (and the best configuration for it).

Thank you cthulolz for sharing this!