Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
I believe it was about $34 in shipping.
USPS has increased the prices a lot the last couple of years.

-J
Thanks Jannis that looks like a reasonable shipping cost.

On another point I just noticed on the Intel S2600CP board spec, section 4.2, page 31

'Each core supports 2 threads (Intel Hyper Threading Technology), up to 20 threads per socket.'

They are not in my price range right now but I guess this means that for E5-2695 V2, E5-2697 V2 12 core processors, hyper threading will not be supported for all 12 cores?

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Hi first time to post on here, what an awesome thread! Spent hours and hours trawling through the pages.

I have recently acquired a S2600CP board from ebay US (Bethany) which I believe is Natex by a different name, I tried to order on Natex website but they wouldn't offer UK shipping (I'm in UK). The board came with 2x E5-2670 and some copper 1U heatsinks which probably aren't much good to me because I want to use the board for a workstation for rendering Blender projects. I checked the CPUs and thankfully they are the later stepping. I haven't powered it up yet, waiting for new PSU to arrive, but visually board looks OK

I struggled to find an I/O shield for this board (I know kalleyomalley has them for sale on Ebay US but $12 + $48.50 for shipping to UK is crazy). So I had a hunt around and finally found this listing from a Chinese seller. (note for EU buyers initially this did not show up in my search from ebay.co.uk, I had to search from ebay.com to find it). Postage is much more reasonable but It hasn't arrived yet, will let you know if it's ok when it arrives. It appears to have no paint which doesn't concern me. They have shield listings for other S2600 board variants too

Intel I/O io Shield BLENDE BRACKET S2600CP2,S2400SC2,and S2400GP2 New #G281 XH

For Memory I wanted to buy from Natex or Memoryamerica, these were cheapest I could find for the memory itself, but again no international shipping, or crazy high shipping costs to EU. So I bought Samsung 64GB 1600MHz Reg ECC from here:

New Samsung 32GB 4X8GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800R ECC REG Registered Server Ram

The memory took a couple of weeks to arrive from China, the DIMMs appear to be new, they were packed in plastic trays and wrapped in bubble wrap, haven't tested on the S2600 board yet but I dropped them into my old HP Z600 workstation and everything OK at least running at slower 1333Mhz.

Now searching for a case, I'm tempted by the Intel pedestal server case from kalleyomalley but some of you say it runs quite noisy, and I only need 1x|SSD and 1xHDD, I want this for a workstation that sits on desk next to me. Any case recommendations that will take this board?

Also CPU coolers, any recommendations?

Thanks for a great thread!
Roy
thanks for the detailed reply this is why this place is so awesome :)

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
just took the plunge and put in my order for 1 board and some memory thanks for all the great info guys

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I purchased a Intel P4308XXMHGC Server Chassis (5 midplane case fans) (better redundancy) to go with Intel S2600CP2J motherboard and 16 sticks RAM. (Goods still in USA)

Are these cases loud? Too loud for a desktop? Would the $120 model with two case fans make a better desktop?

Is it better to go with active CPU heatsinks (maybe it will quieten the case?) and what model do you suggest?
If I go with active CPU heatsinks, do I need to purchase the Airduct?
Or is the Intel passive heatsinks adequate? Which model would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
I have the 2 fan P4000M model and after the initial full speed startup (reminds me of a plane taking off), it's pretty much silent above the ambient A/C noise in my room. I was concerned that the five fan model would be more noisy since they're smaller and there's more of them.

I'm just using the passive heatsinks and air duct, I picked them up from eBay:
Intel AUPSRCBTP Single Passive Heat Sink New Bulk Packaging x2
Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct Required for Intel Server Board S2600CP In P4000M New

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I have the 2 fan P4000M model and after the initial full speed startup (reminds me of a plane taking off), it's pretty much silent above the ambient A/C noise in my room. I was concerned that the five fan model would be more noisy since they're smaller and there's more of them.

I'm just using the passive heatsinks and air duct, I picked them up from eBay:
Intel AUPSRCBTP Single Passive Heat Sink New Bulk Packaging x2
Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct Required for Intel Server Board S2600CP In P4000M New
Thanks RyC for your feedback. Very much appreciated.
(EDIT: I found best offer prices for the above.)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Sure FUP8X25HSDKS will *fit* the P4000 chassis, just *not* in the top 2x5.25" drive bays. You must not expect this to fit along side an 8x3.5" drive cage. However you can fit (2) of the FUP8X25HSDKS in place of a 8x3.5" cage, or I suppose beside a 4x3.5" cage...
@jwegman Thanks heaps for your feedback.

So you could theoretically fit 16 x 2.5"drives with 2 x FUP8X25HSDKS in the 8 x 3.5 drive cage and 8-12 x 2.5" drives using 2 or 3 x 5.25 drive bays (using ICYDOCK units) = up to 28 drives in a P4000 chassis. Awesome!

So you are running 16 drives are you running in your P4000 chassis?

And most importantly, how do you connect power and SATA cables to all those drives, i.e. with HBA or RAID cards/expander and multiple power splitters? I imagine you are not going through the backplane.

There is a SAS Expander Card Option RS2CV240 that can accommodate 8 x 2.5" drives in the manual, but I have not been able to locate one to purchase and whether this would be better than a RAID or HBA card anyway?

What do you think? Cheers

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
@jwegman Thanks heaps for your feedback.

So you could theoretically fit 16 x 2.5"drives with 2 x FUP8X25HSDKS in the 8 x 3.5 drive cage and 8-12 x 2.5" drives using 2 or 3 x 5.25 drive bays (using ICYDOCK units) = up to 28 drives in a P4000 chassis. Awesome!

So you are running 16 drives are you running in your P4000 chassis?

And most importantly, how do you connect power and SATA cables to all those drives, i.e. with HBA or RAID cards/expander and multiple power splitters? I imagine you are not going through the backplane.

There is a SAS Expander Card Option RS2CV240 that can accommodate 8 x 2.5" drives in the manual, but I have not been able to locate one to purchase and whether this would be better than a RAID or HBA card anyway?

What do you think? Cheers
My P4000's are outfitted with 16 drive bays; (8) 3.5" & (8) 2.5". They are fed via mini-sas from (2) 8 port PCIe SAS cards (currently Intel RS2WC080's crossflashed with P20 LSI 9211-8i fw). Each of the (2) cages are fed by (2) power cables. So cabling is at the minimum.

Concerning SAS expanders; the Intel RES2CV240 is intended to mount between the HSBP drive cage and the midplane cooling fans, so there's only space to actually mount it when the short(er) 2.5" drive cages are used. The 3.5" cages are deeper and encroach upon the RES2CV240's mounting area. So if you need a SAS expander in conjunction with the Intel 8x3.5" drive cage, look for the PCIe variant of the SAS expander.

...but if you need/want inexpensive HBA's for the Intel S2600 mobo, then I would suggest that you consider the 8port RMS25KB080; I paid $40 ea which is a fine deal IMHO. Note that these ONLY work in the E5 xeon generation Intel mobos such as the S2600...)
Intel RMS25KB080 OEM SG35828 Integrated PCIe RAID Module New Bulk Packaging

Concerning 3rd party drive cages; I don't have any Icy docks or the like, but I'm very interested to hear how they work out!

My main concern with third party drive cages like the Icy Docks are the depth; specifically if they have large cooling fans at the rear. The Intel 8x3.5" drive cage doesn't require an integral cooling fan as it sits directly in front of the midplane fans. The Intel 8x.2.5" in (2) 5.25" bays also doesn't have a fan, but I'm only using them with SSD's, (5) and some air is getting pulled in through them; so they've been staying happy temp-wise.

Regards,
Jake

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
@jwegman Thanks Jake for your very helpful, detailed and insightful feedback. Much appreciated!

IcyDock have some cool HDD cages. I have a 2 x 2.5" SSD + provision for slim Optical drive in one 5.25" drive bay.
With a blue ray burner in my other 5.25 bay I can burn disks on the fly and clone SSDs on my (cramped) Dell OptiPlex Mini Tower case.
It's about 170mm deep and shorter than my Pioneer DVD burner.

IcyDock also have a 2.5" to 3.5" cage, which I'm hoping to add an additional SSD top a gaming rig on OptiPlex Desktop case.

PS. I see there are P400o's with 1200 watt PSUs, do you think this is overkill to run 28 SSDs and 3 RS25DB080 RAID cards?
Will 1200 Watt PSU be loader or use more power under low loads?

Kind regards
Boddy

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@jwegman Thanks Jake for your very helpful, detailed and insightful feedback. Much appreciated!

IcyDock have some cool HDD cages. I have a 2 x 2.5" SSD + provision for slim Optical drive in one 5.25" drive bay.
With a blue ray burner in my other 5.25 bay I can burn disks on the fly and clone SSDs on my (cramped) Dell OptiPlex Mini Tower case.
It's about 170mm deep and shorter than my Pioneer DVD burner.

IcyDock also have a 2.5" to 3.5" cage, which I'm hoping to add an additional SSD top a gaming rig on OptiPlex Desktop case.

PS. I see there are P400o's with 1200 watt PSUs, do you think this is overkill to run 28 SSDs and 3 RS25DB080 RAID cards?
Will 1200 Watt PSU be loader or use more power under low loads?

Kind regards
Boddy
If you are using Intel S2600xx variant boards, support site has a excel spread sheet to estimate the power requirements.

1200 & 1600 crps have dual rotor fans. 1600 was definitely louder. I'm now using 750W in both of my builds. Other than startup, I barely notice the PS fan. The 5 system fans are actually little noisier.

With 8x3.5 idles about ~140W but startup draw is nearly 300w

HTH

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
What cases/chassis are you guys using (sans Intel chassis) that have a loud fan output? Quiet fan output? Curious as I see a good mix of quiet and not so quiet systems. I have a similar setup that I built (decided not to use though) that is pretty quiet.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Question about Intel Remote Management Module.

I'm used to SuperMicro, where I can run IPMIView (or other management tool), scan for IPMI devices, and connect. The management NIC pulls an IP through DHCP by default.

What is the process with Intel servers with the Remote Management Module 4? I plugged in the dedicated NIC but don't see it in DHCP. Was looking through the Intel tools but don't see anything like IPMIView.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I have emailed kalleyomalley to ask if this is the correct PSU filler part to use if you are only running one PSU instead of two:
"Intel FUPCRPSCAGE Redundant Power Supply Cage New Bulk Packaging"
The description says it includes a blank filler.
FYI

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016

I'm used to SuperMicro, where I can run IPMIView (or other management tool), scan for IPMI devices, and connect. The management NIC pulls an IP through DHCP by default.

What is the process with Intel servers with the Remote Management Module 4? I plugged in the dedicated NIC but don't see it in DHCP. Was looking through the Intel tools but don't see anything like IPMIView.
In the BIOS settings, you need to specify the NIC(s) to be used by the BMC; either the baseboard NICs, or the RMM NIC. Then you'll choose how to address those NICs (DHCP or static). If using DHCP, you can specify the hostname used in the DHCP request. You can also specify the BMC users/passwords. Make sure that if you are working with the 'root' account, that it's marked as active.

Once the BMC is setup with an IP scheme and user(s), you can access the BMC web console. From there you can launch the iKVM java app.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX

You can see Intel BMC web console even without RMM4lite. Check your BIOS. I set it to dhcp but did reservation on my router.

Rmm4lite gives you remote java console, keyboard, USB & optical drive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlphaG

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Soooo, basically I can't connect to the server until I connect a monitor and access the BIOS first?

If so, I like the SM approach of default to handing out a DHCP address and just scan for it. Literally rack and connect.

Now I have to go find a spare monitor and keyboard/mouse to string up.