Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I got a good deal from kalleyomalley.
I have to give props to kalleyomalley. It seems that most sellers we come across on eBay start jacking prices once deals get posted here and people start trying to get the same make offer deals other people have gotten because they think they've got something hot and can get more money for whatever they're selling. Kalleyomalley has been quite consistent at selling items for the same low best offer prices even as many people from this forum and others are buying these parts centered around v1 and v2 E5 Xeon chips.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Earlier in this thread jmck posted he purchased;
Intel R2312IP4LHPC
I don't see any of these listed anymore. What is the difference between it and the R2312GL4GS?

He said he paid $300 and it had a RAID controller and expander! Even disregarding that it seems like a better machine (more PCI-E slots for instance).
I'll know more about the MB S2600IP4 next week. It fits P4000L chassis. Don't know about M. Form factor appears to be very close to EEB standard. GL4 on the other hand looks like a proprietary format.

The pedestal version also includes mezzanine RAID card.

Last edited:

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
Earlier in this thread jmck posted he purchased;
Intel R2312IP4LHPC
I don't see any of these listed anymore. What is the difference between it and the R2312GL4GS?

He said he paid $300 and it had a RAID controller and expander! Even disregarding that it seems like a better machine (more PCI-E slots for instance).
They only had 1 of the R2312IP4LHPC and I haven't seen any more listed. I'm watching for more but I think it was a 1 off which is why I got a burning hot deal on it. You get 6 PCI-E x8 slots with the R2312GL4GS which is only 1 less than the R2312IP4LHPC. The R2312GL4GS uses a custom form factor board so you're kind of locked in on that.

The R2312GL4GS @ $300 is still a very good deal. And you can pickup the 2nd power supply for it for $20 more from them. I just picked up a R2312GL4GS with 2 extra power supplies for $340 with $35 shipping.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I`m currently considering on of these, as i need one more 826 and board to complete my current build ... bit more expensive than the Intel:
X9DRI-LN4F 2U 2*E5-2670 192GB $1,099.99 OBO

Seller is nice and made fair offer for shipping, too.

Problem is the backplane (would be switched), i have enough and therefore don't need the ram and there are also two 2670 stocked for the third node for some weeks now....
So I was looking at this. Seems like it could be a pretty nice deal actually. Comparing it to the Intel R2312GL4GS.
$1,100 (list price with BO)
$130 (CPUs)
$300 (RAM 24x8GB)
$100 (RAID Card, maybe a bit more. Think it has 512MB RAM)
-----------
$570

If you can BO for ~$900 ($200 off list) you would be getting the barebones machine for ~$370, comparable to the Intel R2312GL4GS. Obviously if you don't need the CPU/RAM/RAID then it's less appealing unless you want to can resell them. Personally I'd prefer to drop the RAID card and get something else. I know MrRackable is pretty prevalent on ebay, anyone know how willing he is to changing listings (remove the RAID card) and how flexible he is with BO's?

Compared to the Intel, this is what I see as the advantages.
  • Same backplane (3xSFF8087) but can be swapped for an expander model cheap.
  • More RAM slots (24 vs 16)
  • Well known SC826 chassis
  • Standard MB size so lots of options (including X10 boards) while Intel is proprietary
  • No SATA ports locked behind upgrade keys
  • For those with SM gear already, same management tools
  • I BELIEVE you get more overall PCI 3.0 lanes (The Intel uses 2 x24 superslots feeding two riser cards with 3 x8 PCI-E slots. So total you get 48 in some mixture. The rest of the PCI lanes are on the I/O module and SAS modules connectors (proprietary cards) and wired into a few other things that I forget. The Supermico has 4 x16, 1 x8, and 1x4 for a total of 76. All the slots on the SuperMicro are directly on the MB, no riser cards. Due to that the supermicro only takes low profile full length cards, while the Intel does allow for some full height full length cards (if that is important).

Last edited:

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
So I was looking at this. Seems like it could be a pretty nice deal actually. Comparing it to the Intel R2312GL4GS.
$130 (CPUs)
$300 (RAM 24x8GB)
-----------
$570

If you can BO for ~$900 ($200 off list) you would be getting the barebones machine for ~$370, comparable to the Intel R2312GL4GS. Obviously if you don't need the CPU/RAM/RAID then it's less appealing unless you want to can resell them. Personally I'd prefer to drop the RAID card and get something else. I know MrRackable is pretty prevalent on ebay, anyone know how willing he is to changing listings (remove the RAID card) and how flexible he is with BO's?

• Standard MB size so lots of options (including X10 boards) while Intel is proprietary
  • I BELIEVE you get more overall PCI 3.0 lanes (The Intel uses 2 x24 superslots feeding two riser cards with 3 x8 PCI-E slots. So total you get 48 in some mixture. The Supermico has 4 x16, 1 x8, and 1x4 for a total of 76. All the slots on the SuperMicro are directly on the MB, no riser cards. Due to that the supermicro only takes low profile full length cards, while the Intel does allow for some full height full length cards (if that is important).
Will get one of these, made me a nice offer, also for Shipping :)
You are perfectly right on your points, having other supermicro gear around it just fits better and has no questionable lock-ins / add-ons. ordered two SAS-2 Backplanes and will change asap. have another 826 with sas2-el2 (Dual Expander) i will also change with the el1 and sell.

The Intel will get the two 2670 i wanted to put in the 826 ,to purchase' that comes with CPU now in this System, and then will stay in the Labs.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Will get one of these, made me a nice offer, also for Shipping :)
You are perfectly right on your points, having other supermicro gear around it just fits better and has no questionable lock-ins / add-ons. ordered two SAS-2 Backplanes and will change asap. have another 826 with sas2-el2 (Dual Expander) i will also change with the el1 and sell.

The Intel will get the two 2670 i wanted to put in the 826 ,to purchase' that comes with CPU now in this System, and then will stay in the Labs.
Want to PM me the details? :)

LiQuiD[EViL]

Apr 2, 2016
$130 (CPUs)
$300 (RAM 24x8GB)
-----------
$570

• I BELIEVE you get more overall PCI 3.0 lanes (The Intel uses 2 x24 superslots feeding two riser cards with 3 x8 PCI-E slots. So total you get 48 in some mixture. The rest of the PCI lanes are on the I/O module and SAS modules connectors (proprietary cards) and wired into a few other things that I forget. The Supermico has 4 x16, 1 x8, and 1x4 for a total of 76. All the slots on the SuperMicro are directly on the MB, no riser cards. Due to that the supermicro only takes low profile full length cards, while the Intel does allow for some full height full length cards (if that is important).
Also dual 920w PSUs vs 1 x 750w

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Got my cpus Ordered got a couple questions

I'm looking at going with ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard

My current case is a
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D anyone know if i can fit that board into that case?

is anyone water cooling? if so what are you using? I'm thinking of water because i don't want too much noise

Feb 8, 2016
Got my cpus Ordered got a couple questions

I'm looking at going with ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard

My current case is a
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D anyone know if i can fit that board into that case?

SSI EEB is deeper than ATX by 2.4" 12x13 vs 12x9.6

Reactions: SINN78

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
Hi All,

In the interest of sharing to this amazing thread, I'm posting the list of parts I ordered for this setup.
I will also mention that my intended use is for rendering 3d & visual effects - I'm a professional animator by trade, and tinkerer at heart, so this project is right up my alley :)

It's taken a while to search and read through these forums to narrow down my choices. Hopefully these all work in harmony, and I can share anything I learn along the way with you, all.

Special thank you's to handruin and GCM, without your stories and images, I'd still be researching!

Reactions: handruin and Fritz

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
I am a bit miffed that my natex.us order for 2 cpus and ram is still pending for the past two days. I ordered those on the same day as the R2312GL4GS...
That's apparently SNAFU for their site. I noticed the same thing on my last order, emailed them, and my package showed up the next day.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
That's apparently SNAFU for their site. I noticed the same thing on my last order, emailed them, and my package showed up the next day.
Funny you mention that; ~15-20 minutes after posting that comment, I received an email ship notice from them... :)