Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
@Emulsifide The config file if found for s2600ip that needs to be used when doing the frusdr does not work, when I specify it it ends up giving the error file not found after psu detection.
You shouldn't have to do anything like that. I literally downloaded the link I gave to a usb drive, booted to it, and it asked me a bunch of questions about frusdr along the way.

I'll give it a shot again tonight when I get home and I'll provide more details if you need them.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
You shouldn't have to do anything like that. I literally downloaded the link I gave to a usb drive, booted to it, and it asked me a bunch of questions about frusdr along the way.

I'll give it a shot again tonight when I get home and I'll provide more details if you need them.
I downloaded Download S2600 BIOS and Firmware Update, Configuration Utilities for Windows*/Linux*/WinPE/UEFI that and then the uefi thing and put it on my usb stick and ran the .efi file and I used a config file i got from the winpe tools seeing as it was not included in the uefi tools, but when I use that methode it throws up file not found.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
I downloaded Download S2600 BIOS and Firmware Update, Configuration Utilities for Windows*/Linux*/WinPE/UEFI that and then the uefi thing and put it on my usb stick and ran the .efi file and I used a config file i got from the winpe tools seeing as it was not included in the uefi tools, but when I use that methode it throws up file not found.
I would expect that you should just run the .nsh files from the UEFI shell, such as just running the UpdateFRUSDR.nsh file. The contents of which is simply:
Code:
echo -off
cls
echo ""
echo FRUSDR rev 1.11 is being installed.
frusdr -cfg master.cfg
echo ""
echo FRUSDR Update Completed.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I would expect that you should just run the .nsh files from the UEFI shell, such as just running the UpdateFRUSDR.nsh file. The contents of which is simply:
Code:
echo -off
cls
echo ""
echo FRUSDR rev 1.11 is being installed.
frusdr -cfg master.cfg
echo ""
echo FRUSDR Update Completed.
The fault is not in the .nsh file, its the config file that I think is looking for a file that it cannot find and therefore it throws up "Error:File not found.". Could you please share the all the files that you used. Thanks

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
The fault is not in the .nsh file, its the config file that I think is looking for a file that it cannot find and therefore it throws up "Error:File not found.". Could you please share the all the files that you used. Thanks
I'm using the S2600CP2J board with a P4000M chassis; I didn't need anything other than running the .nsh files.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Aside from the USB redirection how does it differ from something like remote desktop or VNC which are free?
The KVM unlocked by the RMM4lite module allows remote KVM access to the system prior to any OS being loaded, so you get full KVM access to the POST process etc. You can remotely view/control the system as it's booting so you can adjust any system settings, etc that you normally could via locally attached keyboard/video/mouse...

Reactions: Stereodude

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Aside from the USB redirection how does it differ from something like remote desktop or VNC which are free?
I use the RMM modules on different motherboards.

The RMM lite allows for KVM over IP access. The biggest difference is if you want to do things like mount images remotely, use iKVM to set BIOS/ flash UEFI, then you need the RMM module.

Reactions: Stereodude

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
The KVM unlocked by the RMM4lite module allows remote KVM access to the system prior to any OS being loaded, so you get full KVM access to the POST process etc. You can remotely view/control the system as it's booting so you can adjust any system settings, etc that you normally could via locally attached keyboard/video/mouse...
Doesn't the BMC console also give you the some of the same pre-OS stuff (to a point)? How responsive is their KVM in the OS if you're running something like 1280x1024? It it comparable to remote desktop (on a LAN)?

wallysimmonds

Mar 7, 2016
Heya guys,

Newbie poster to this forum here. Looking at the SC2600 boards, is it possible to get it in something a bit more desktop-y case wise? Getting an Intel chassis shipped to ozzie is a bit price prohibitive, so looking at alternatives.

I'm hoping to use this as a Vmware server in my study, so hoping it's not going to sound like a jet engine either..

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Doesn't the BMC console also give you the some of the same pre-OS stuff (to a point)? How responsive is their KVM in the OS if you're running something like 1280x1024? It it comparable to remote desktop (on a LAN)?
With all iKVM implementations to date I use iKVM for pre-boot, OS install, and "uh oh" scenarios. I use SSH or other programs for remote access within the OS.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Finally got my setup worked out and wanted to share and help others out.
This is an ESXi server that I use in my test lab running all sorts of security appliances like: firewalls, web filters, antispam gateways, DLP, endpoint protection, etc. etc.

It's hard to find used socket 2011 motherboards these days so I went with ebay and a brand new Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 for less than $250.
It seemed like a screaming deal to me considering it has an LSI SAS 2008 on board, 2 x 10GB NIC's as well as a dedicated IPMI port.

HSF mounting is square ILM so that makes things a little easier when trying to cool both CPU's in a smaller case.
I went with the Noctua's instead of the SuperMicro HSF, and I don't have them to compare, but these are whisper quiet and clear the ram easily.
Pretty funny that the HSF's cost almost as much as the CPU's. Crazy times!!

I was looking at a Nzxt S340 case to try and squeeze them into a really tiny enclosure but I went a little bigger as I may end up going with watercooling at some point and there is plenty of room in the top and front of the case to make that happen
It's still a really tight squeeze but all I really needed to do was cut about .75 of an inch off the back corner of the drive cage.
I am going to add a few standoff's as well, but I think about 6 or so lined up without any issues

I still need to get a SAS breakout cable and get the onboard LSI controller working

CPU: 2 x E5-2670
HSF: 2 x Noctua NH-U12DXi4
Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F31
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
Memory: 16 x Nanya DDR3-1333MHz ECC REG NT8C72C4NG0NL-CG
PSU: Corsair HX850
Storage: 3 x Intel SSD320 - 600GB drives

Last edited:

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
It's hard to find used socket 2011 motherboards these days so I went with ebay and a brand new Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 for less than $250.
It seemed like a screaming deal to me considering it has an LSI SAS 2008 on board, 2 x 10GB NIC's as well as a dedicated IPMI port.
That's quite the deal considering the current motherboard situation for LGA 2011, no less the feature loaded one you got. :cool:

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Finally got my setup worked out and wanted to share and help others out.
This is an ESXi server that I use in my test lab running all sorts of security appliances like: firewalls, web filters, antispam gateways, DLP, endpoint protection, etc. etc.

HSF mounting is square ILM so that makes things a little easier when trying to cool both CPU's in a smaller case.
I went with the Noctua's instead of the SuperMicro HSF, and I don't have them to compare, but these are whisper quiet and clear the ram easily.
Pretty funny that the HSF's cost almost as much as the CPU's. Crazy times!!

I was looking at a Nzxt S340 case to try and squeeze them into a really tiny enclosure but I went a little bigger as I may end up going with watercooling at some point and there is plenty of room in the top and front of the case to make that happen
It's still a really tight squeeze but all I really needed to do was cut about .75 of an inch off the back corner of the drive cage.
I am going to add a few standoff's as well, but I think about 6 or so lined up without any issues

I still need to get a SAS breakout cable and get the onboard LSI controller working

CPU: 2 x E5-2670
HSF: 2 x Noctua NH-U12DXi4
Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F31
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
Memory: 16 x Nanya DDR3-1333MHz ECC REG NT8C72C4NG0NL-CG
PSU: Corsair HX850
Storage: 3 x Intel SSD320 - 600GB drives

Want me to move this to the DIY build forum?

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
For those looking at the SC2600 and expecting use iKVM for remote management, a small caution. Many (most?) Intel boards treat iKVM as an "advanced" IPMI feature and require a feature key to activate it.

Do some research before buying to see if this is the case with the SC2600 (or other similar Intel board) and do some price checks on the keys. Last I checked you could get they key from places like Provantage.com for about $45.
I purchased Intel AXXRMM4 Remote Management Module New Bulk Packaging from these guys for $15 +shipping; this is the AXXRMM4 NIC module kit, AND the AXXRMM4LITE key (that's needed to unlock the iKVM and USB Media Redirection features). Unfortunately, they are out of that particular model...

However they have this which seems to include theAXXRMM4LITE key (which is what you'd really only be using from this kit... you'd be sharing one of the baseband NICs with the RMM4 module):
Intel AXXRMM4R Remote Management Module Lite Module New Bulk Packaging

I wouldn't be surprised if they accept a $15 offer for the above.

Reactions: PigLover

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
However they have this which seems to include theAXXRMM4LITE key (which is what you'd really only be using from this kit... you'd be sharing one of the baseband NICs with the RMM4 module):
Intel AXXRMM4R Remote Management Module Lite Module New Bulk Packaging

I wouldn't be surprised if they accept a $15 offer for the above.
I wish I would have seen that listing before I ordered other parts from them since they combine shipping and it wouldn't have cost me any shipping to add. :(

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I'm using the S2600CP2J board with a P4000M chassis; I didn't need anything other than running the .nsh files.
The download link that was give a couple pages ago was what I used so I got the .nsh file from a diferent download but that file does nothing but excecute the frusdr.efi with the master.cfg and the cfg file is looking for something that isnt there. I think the one I downloaded might not be the one I need for my chassis and I cant really find one that does work with mine so could you please provide the download link that you used or the config files? Thanks

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
The download link that was give a couple pages ago was what I used so I got the .nsh file from a diferent download but that file does nothing but excecute the frusdr.efi with the master.cfg and the cfg file is looking for something that isnt there. I think the one I downloaded might not be the one I need for my chassis and I cant really find one that does work with mine so could you please provide the download link that you used or the config files? Thanks
To clarify, your board is the S2600IP?

Did you fetch it from:
Drivers & Software

...and you fetched this firmware package?
Download Intel® Server Board S2600IP and Intel® Workstation Board W2600CR Firmware Update Package for Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)

Reactions: legopc

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for all the insight from this wonderful community. @jwegman - great find on the ebay seller.

AXXRMM4R Remote Management Module $20
Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct $15
Shipping on both - $15

Intel P4216XXMHGR Chassis - $100 +30 shipping
I have an iSTARUSA 3 x 5.25 > 4 x 3.5 bay hot swap cage. hopefully I can use. will have to see. I don't have 16 x 2.5 drives at the moment

They countered $150 + $30 for Intel P4308XXMHGR Server Chassis and I chose not to accept.

You may already have seen the Excel sheet from Intel. Nice & easy way to estimate the power supply requirement. I'm not able to attach it here as it is a macro enabled. It was located in one of the @jwegman's download links to the Intel site

I think I have spent enough $$$ in the last few of weeks on this hobby including C6100 jumbo jet. :eek:.