Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
So, for those who purchase the Intel S2600CP2J mobo from natex.us and are needing case options, I think these Intel NIB P4000M chassis and accessories to be a darn good match and value at these surplus prices!
Welcome to the forum! That's a heck of a first post.

How did you figure out which pieces all went together? Also, there doesn't seem to be any picture of the insides of these various chassis. How exactly do you know what you're getting?

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Well, they did before he posted it here... :D
Yeah, and just last night, they accepted $40 (+$12 shipping) for this 8x2.5" HSBP that's designed to fit into the two of the P4000M's 5.25" bays:
Intel FUP8X25HSDKO Spare 8x2.5 Hot-Swap Drive Cage Kit for 5.25" Cage Area New

And previously, they accepted $70 (+$10 shipping) for these 8 port SAS RAID controllers. Several of the unRAID forum members also gobbled these up for the same offered price:
Intel RS2WC080 RAID Controller SAS/SATA MD2 6GB/s PCIe 2.0x8 New Retail Box

Regards,
Jake

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Welcome to the forum! That's a heck of a first post.

How did you figure out which pieces all went together? Also, there doesn't seem to be any picture of the insides of these various chassis. How exactly do you know what you're getting?
Thanks for the welcome. To answer your question, I spent some time reading through Intel's tech product spec documents. Pay attention to the chassis product code section in the first document:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...erver/p4000m/sb/g27488005_p4000m_tps_r1_2.pdf
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf

I'd just built my first system using the P4000M chassis with 8x3.5", 2x120mm fixed fans, and 550watt PS a few days ago and everything went smoothly. All the items from the ebay seller had been shipped quickly (they're in NH, I'm in MN), and was exactly as described (NIB). So I dove in on the other chassis (which they accepted a lower offer than my first), and will be building out a second one.

Here are some pics of the build:
https://goo.gl/photos/7ar7vQCLst26Rh2X6
https://goo.gl/photos/oYi3AM7KtNj7q8wJ7
https://goo.gl/photos/xVKUiLVY7t54eYva8

Regards,
Jake

Reactions: Stereodude

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Thanks for the welcome. To answer your question, I spent some time reading through Intel's tech product spec documents. Pay attention to the chassis product code section in the first document:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...erver/p4000m/sb/g27488005_p4000m_tps_r1_2.pdf
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf

I'd just built my first system using the P4000M chassis with 8x3.5", 2x120mm fixed fans, and 550watt PS a few days ago and everything went smoothly. All the items from the ebay seller had been shipped quickly (they're in NH, I'm in MN), and was exactly as described (NIB). So I dove in on the other chassis (which they accepted a lower offer than my first), and will be building out a second one.

Regards,
Jake
I also found this link:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/p4000_cg_r2_3.pdf

Two questions for you.

1) How loud is it?
2) Can it hold a graphics card as is or do you really need the "UPMGPUBR (MM#920613) is required to support add-in GPGPU cards" ?

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
It's *not* loud at all. When used with the S2600CP mobo, the BMC controls the cooling domains per a set profile (performance or acoustic). Each of the fans are assign a cooling domain, and based upon feedback of various temp and airflow sensors, the BMC will intelligently control the fans for the optimum cooling for the set profile. Full CPU load testing (both sockets with all cores @100%) using Passmarks Burn-in tool had spun both of the 120mm fans to 2000rpm - not loud at all.

You can certainly use standard height PCI cards without any adapters.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
The 2nd; 16x2.5" HSBP, 2x120mm fixed fans, and dual 720 watt PS. They accepted a $100 offer (+$30 shipping):
"Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U Rack 750W Hot-Swap New Bulk Packaging"
Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U Rack 750W Hot-Swap New Bulk Packaging
Do you happen to know how the redundant supplies work in these cases? Can you remove one of the two from the case if you don't want the redundancy? If not, what about simply not plugging it in to 120V power or does that cause errors / warnings?

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
A lot of times it'll give off an alarm, but you can disable that alarm.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
@jwegman

May I ask a quick question about the Intel FUP8X25HSDKO cage.
Does it comes with 2.5" adapter with the 3.5 disk tray?
In another word, could one fit a SSD into the 3.5 disk tray without buying extra adapter?
thanks
No; this specific item has 2.5" trays that go into an 8 slot HSBP enclosure that fits into 2x5.25" bays.

Do you happen to know how the redundant supplies work in these cases? Can you remove one of the two from the case if you don't want the redundancy? If not, what about simply not plugging it in to 120V power or does that cause errors / warnings?
Sure you can remove one of the two PS's (however you need to insert a blank into the empty slot to maintain proper airflow), in fact that ebay seller has a similar configuration (1x750 watt hotswap PS, 2x120mm fixed fans, 8x3.5" fixed drive bays (non-hotswap)):
"Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W. New Bulk Packaging"
Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W. New Bulk Packaging

Regards,
Jake

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
The BEAST is on the bench!!!

Intel W2600CR2, 48GB of ram, and a nVidia GTX580 to start out with. Sleep wattage is 11 watts and under Prime95 load on all 32 threads I'm hitting a whopping 455 watts. Preliminary CPU Passmark hit 20,124!!!

PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 580862

For anyone interested in the motherboard, I grabbed it from SabrePC on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Intel Workstation Board Motherboard W2600CR2
Are you getting any warnings with that motherboard about missing fans/ramping fans up? I have the same motherboard but in an intel chassis with 2 delta fans in the front and 2 original heatsinks. But when ever I disconnect a fan or replace that fan with a different fan the motherboard will freak out and ramp up the front and psu fans to the max. I want to watercool this chassis by placing 2 radiators on the delta fans in the front but it will ramp those up if the cpu fans are missing so that isnt really gonna work.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Are you getting any warnings with that motherboard about missing fans/ramping fans up? I have the same motherboard but in an intel chassis with 2 delta fans in the front and 2 original heatsinks. But when ever I disconnect a fan or replace that fan with a different fan the motherboard will freak out and ramp up the front and psu fans to the max. I want to watercool this chassis by placing 2 radiators on the delta fans in the front but it will ramp those up if the cpu fans are missing so that isnt really gonna work.
As I understand it, if you change the configuration of the system fans, you'll need to run through the FRUSDR setup utility again. This is one of the last steps of 'flashing a bios', so get the latest intel BIOS package for that mobo, extract and copy to a USB stick, boot the system to the UEFI shell and run the FRUSDR tool.

Also note that if you open the chassis while the system is running, a chassis intrusion SEL (system event) will be tripped which will drive the system fans at max rpm until that SEL is cleared. So if that occurred, clear the SEL either through the BIOS setup menu, or BMC web console, or via IPMI.

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
You should be able to get around this either in the bios, or download speedfan and manually ramp them down.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Jwegman is correct. You just need to run the FRU update again and tell it what kind of fans you have.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
You should be able to get around this either in the bios, or download speedfan and manually ramp them down.
You have to use the FRUSDR tool @jwegman has suggested. Download the UEFI package from the following link:

Download S2600 BIOS and Firmware Update, Configuration Utilities for Windows*/Linux*/WinPE/UEFI

Slap it all onto a clean USB drive and let it UEFI boot from it. The tools will automatically upgrade all the different firmwares on the motherboard and you'll be able to configure whether or not you want to have any fan alarms enabled.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
I will readily admit to being a IPMI n00b. What is the implication of this, or what doesn't it do without the RMM4Lite module?
The RMM4lite key unlocks KVM and USB Virtual Media Redirection (being able to mount a remote usb drive to the server). Otherwise, the BMC web console, and regular IPMI 2.0 stuff should otherwise still work. Both from whcih you can read chassis status, control power on/off, read sensor data, read/clear the System Event Log, etc...

Intel® Remote Management Module

Regards,
Jake

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
@Emulsifide The config file if found for s2600ip that needs to be used when doing the frusdr does not work, when I specify it it ends up giving the error file not found after psu detection.