Mini-ITX (or not?) storage chassis for SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I hear that, I actually stumbled on this one shortly afterwards and was thinking about fitting 24 drives in it and what main board you'd need to pull that off
Amazon.com: iStarUSA S-35 Compact Stylish 3x 5.25-Inch Bay mini-ITX Tower: Computers & Accessories
That's nice looking. I'm lusting after one of those Xeon-D boards with 10GbE, an LSI 9300, three of those 4x2.5 icy dock racks, and a bunch of eMLC SSDs. Nvme it is not, but that's a ton of IOPS in a nice compact form factor.

:)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I haven't decided on a board yet. Im looking at "storage" board with plenty of onboard sata ports as I want the one pcie slot saved for a 10gbe add on card.
SM Xeon-D is always a choice, $500 for the 4 core ones is not that bad... Also can have 10g onboard
X11SSV-Q looks nice but with a cpu no cheaper than the D1518/20/21
C2xxx have 6 sata but only 2 are 6G
J1900/N3700 boards either have 3rd party or slow sata, but probably the lowest power with no IPMI.

Would love to have a Xeon-D under 20 watts with SSD's only, don't think it can be done ?
Waiting for @Patrick to give us the power info on the wave 2 SM boards (I am pretty confident the SM boards will be lower power than the other vendors as its more of a focus for them it seems)

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
a half width and depth version of this

NORCO RPC-2132 Server Case - Newegg.com

Chris
Does one exist?

SM Xeon-D is always a choice, $500 for the 4 core ones is not that bad... Also can have 10g onboard
X11SSV-Q looks nice but with a cpu no cheaper than the D1518/20/21
C2xxx have 6 sata but only 2 are 6G
J1900/N3700 boards either have 3rd party or slow sata, but probably the lowest power with no IPMI.

Would love to have a Xeon-D under 20 watts with SSD's only, don't think it can be done ?
Waiting for @Patrick to give us the power info on the wave 2 SM boards (I am pretty confident the SM boards will be lower power than the other vendors as its more of a focus for them it seems)
Yea the new Xeon D's are intriguing. I have a SM X10SDV-TLN4F in my main server right now and it's fantastic but I'm really looking towards the ones with built in SFP+ because there aren't many good copper 10GbE switch options right now.

I'd love to see this updated to xeon d it would fit your criteria well with onboard 10gbe you'd have everything
P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L - Overview
That is a sweet looking board. To be honest a C2550 is probably more than enough for my needs but I don't see much info on the storage controller included with that board. How many drives could I technically connect to it without an add on card?

Ooh I like that case, hadn't found that one thanks for the link. That could be a nice option just wish they had some better pics from the top.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
It's 4 x MiniSAS connector(Marvell 88SE9485 x 2) so a minimum of 16 drives direct attach to 6gbps sas with a 6tb validation(they claim 108tb max which is 18x6 counting the onboard SATA ports) the datasheet on the controller is here, it's PCIE2 x8 without a chipset diagram I'd guess they only used X4 links to allow for an x4 to the card slot as well however.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
It's 4 x MiniSAS connector(Marvell 88SE9485 x 2) so a minimum of 16 drives direct attach to 6gbps sas with a 6tb validation(they claim 108tb max which is 18x6 counting the onboard SATA ports) the datasheet on the controller is here, it's PCIE2 x8 without a chipset diagram I'd guess they only used X4 links to allow for an x4 to the card slot as well however.
That is very intriguing as I can't see myself ever connecting more than 8 SSDs in this server anyway. The problem I'm seeing people report though is that the storage controller doesn't work with any of the popular storage solutions. The user reviews on them are horror stories. That's a bummer.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
That is very intriguing as I can't see myself ever connecting more than 8 SSDs in this server anyway. The problem I'm seeing people report though is that the storage controller doesn't work with any of the popular storage solutions. The user reviews on them are horror stories. That's a bummer.
That I unfortunately can't comment on, it works fine in S2008 and 2012R2 that I've used and I belive I've seen mention of it working with Ubuntu but that's all I can add to that. There will be Xeon-D boards with LSI-3008 chips i've seen here and there but nothing that seems to offer the option for 16 direct wire drives yet(if it did that would put everything you want on one board though)

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I used one of these with a 6-in-1 2.5" SSD in 5.25" bay adapter from ICY Dock
ISK300-150 - antec.com

Works like a charm. It's silent, has a 150W powersupply built in and can take a PCI-e card.
Nice. I was looking at that case but wasn't sure what bay adapters would fit because it looks like it is not a full size 5.25" bay. Can you link me to the bay adapter you installed in this case?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Wow really? Looking at the pictures it looks like there is no possible way you can fit that bay adapter into that (what looks like a) slim bay.
It has a full 5.25"slot. you can take the standard bezel out ( keep the lower ports) and rock that 6-in-1 all the way.

Will see if i can take a picture later. Have both still laying around here.