Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What do you get at your colo for 40 a month? I've never really thought much about a colo but it might be wise to take a look
I asked Joe @ Joe's Datacenter about their mid-tower colocation. He said this case, so long as it is under 4A (power supply cannot handle 4A anyway) it would be accepted. I would certainly expect this to be lower end colo but it does put a box outside of your home/ office network inexpensively.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
decent price Acme FA1426-XD 10 inch server Xeon D-1540,... | Acmemicro ?

Acme FA1426-XD is a small form factor & powerful server. Powerful computing Xeon D-1540 with DDR4 memory, 2 x 10GbE and 2 x GbE LAN in 1U 9.8 inch rackmount chassis. Xeon D-1540 is a big computing power processor with 8-Core, 16 threads, 12MB cache, TDP 45W, frequency 2 to 2.6GHz. This system is good for Web, VM, industrial applications.
  • Intel Xeon D-1540 Front Access 1U RackMount case with 200W power supply (80+ gold certified)
  • Memory 4x$209 -- 16GB PC4-17000 DDR4-2133Mhz Registered ECC Dual-Ranked 1.2V Major Brand
  • SSD 2x$198.99 -- Samsung SATA 240GB Solid-State Drive MZ-7GE240EW 845DC EVO Series (Data Center) 2.5-in SATA3 6Gb/s MLC-Flash Retail
  • Total = US$2276.98

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not bad. It looks like a SC505-203B but the layout of the I/O ports on the X10SDV-TLN4F is different than the main I/O panel with those cases which is for the A1SRi/ A1SRM boards.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So as long as my power draw is < 480W (120v * 4A) I could potentially host a box outside of my house for 40 month? /me looks into Joe's datacenter.
I've been in contact with Joe's recently, and it's def. bargain basement in terms of price and offerings but the reviews are strong for what you get.

If you go there let me know, I was debating testing out with some 1Us.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Can we expect to see Leaseweb, OVH, Hetzner etc deploy D-1500 soon? I want one :D
These are starting to his the channel. So it could be soon. Now the question is if they are going to buy these boxes.

Reactions: doop

Diverge

Feb 24, 2014
I just picked up the non-10GB lan one from suberbiiz earlier tonight. Also ordered a U-NAS NSC-800 tonight, and some DDR4. For my new esxi server/nas... when I didn't really need a new one, considering I just bought new hardware a couple months back...

I'll be running xpeneology in one VM, linux, a windows WMC VM (for my extenders). DSM will also handle Plex server, nzbget, sonarr, couchpotato duties.

Diverge

Feb 24, 2014
I never could get those things other than plex to play right. Do you have a guide you used that works? I'd love to something that combs torrents or newsgroups for content I've specified.

Also I am so jealous of your new mini box.
I don't have any guides, but my setup uses all synology applications that run on the NAS VM. It takes some research, and tinkering around. The biggest issue is each application creates it's own username, and for whatever reason, they use user ID's below a certain #, so the users become invisible to DSM, making it difficult to control permissions. There's a few different methods for sorting it out, and it involves using console commands to get everything right so file and folder permissions work correctly. I personally create a new group; ex; media, or apps, and then using some console commands (that I forget offhand), manually add the hidden app users to the new group I created. Then from within DSM I can control permissions via the group.

File and user permissions is the biggest issue with the setup, followed up by getting all the apps to work together. But it's really not that hard if you have some time, and are determined :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
I though about doing Avoton for a long time. Lack of VT-D always slowed my roll. Glad I waited. Now I'm just waiting to see more options in the way of motherboards. Anyone seen any rumblings outside the 2 Supermicros and the ASRock? I'll be picking one up pretty quickly once availability picks up. 10GBE is a must for me.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I though about doing Avoton for a long time. Lack of VT-D always slowed my roll. Glad I waited. Now I'm just waiting to see more options in the way of motherboards. Anyone seen any rumblings outside the 2 Supermicros and the ASRock? I'll be picking one up pretty quickly once availability picks up. 10GBE is a must for me.
I should be getting the ASRock Rack one soon. It is actually being held up by the DDR4 SODIMMs for the mITX LGA2011-3 board it will be shipped with. Those SODIMMs are very hard to find right now.

I have heard rumblings from other vendors, but more on the application specific SKUs like the one for storage and others for high-density micro cloud type installations.

Reactions: eva2000

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
A board with an LSI SAS chip 2 gigabit and 2 10gbe ports and at least 1 PCI-E slot would make me very happy! In fact, take the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F and add an LSI SAS card and I'd be ecstatic! I really liked that Supermicro Avoton motherboard with 7 gigabit ports on it. If that had a VT-D capable processor, I would have bought one as it was a nice compromise of features!

Patrick, Looking forward to your ASRock review!

Reactions: gigatexal