Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Since they charge the card immediately on early-bird and pre-orders before actual fulfillment occurs, I would imagine they are using these orders as part of financing their production run with their fab/assembly partners.
Pretty crappy of them to treat us pre-order like this. I've always pre-order new Galaxy phones each year from Samsung. They never charge my credit card before the order actually shipped. I pre-ordered 3X units so that's a huge upfront cash laid out for nothing to show for a couple of months!

But I don't mind waiting if that means we will get latest hardware revisions that fixed some of these issues I'm reading about with first shipment units

Reactions: Phibs

mishanw

Mar 20, 2024
@Patrick Do you have any advice for JBOD's that are more affordable and available over the QNAP TL-D400S that would work with the Broadcom SAS3008 external (8e) on IT mode?

Does anyone else have any ideas? My plan is to install Proxmox and run some VMs including Plex and also run TrueNAS scale on Proxmox with PCIe passthrough and use an external JBOD to handle a larger zfs pool. It would be amazing to get some input. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekobk

markconstable

Oct 1, 2022
Thanks for the encouraging info. I should have been more specific... does full iGPU passthrough work (not SR-IOV GPU sharing) with a Proxmox VM? And what's with the difference between Xe (96 eu) and UHD (48 eu) graphics?

Rile

Feb 25, 2024
I just got an E-Mail from the support, the shipment has been delayed again...
To be honest, I don't believe them anymore. At first, there was the delay because of chines new year holidays, now there are some weird power supply issues out of the blue.
I would never have bought the product if I had known about all the problems beforehand.

1711097534567.png

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Is that possible with Iris xe?
Yes, please. Can anyone with a i9-13900H please try full iGPU passthrough and report if it works, or not?
I have tried everything in all esxi versions and proxmox.
Igpu passthrough works fine in linux VM but not in windows. The problem is the windows driver which is something that William Lam also spoted it and there are info all over the world.

Any other external card works totally fine in Proxmox and semi works in windows (in esxi a radeon 6400 no matter what i tried i was always getting error 43 but in proxmox worked fine in a windows vm).

Reactions: markconstable

webmaster

Jan 26, 2024
Any other external card works totally fine in Proxmox and semi works in windows (in esxi a radeon 6400 no matter what i tried i was always getting error 43 but in proxmox worked fine in a windows vm).
Error 43 I believe is a driver issue, the Win driver does not support SR-IOV. I assume you tried Virtualised GPU, and not GPU passthrough?

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
Mine having serious issues with regular CPU lockups under Proxmox 8.1.4 and kernel 6.5.13-1 ... having latest microcode installed 0x411c doesn't change anything. :confused:
unless I disable E-cores
Someone having similar issues?
Go back on the thread a search my posts. Same issues.

Reactions: pyb0

markconstable

Oct 1, 2022
Igpu passthrough works fine in linux VM but not in windows.
Really? Whew, that is excellent news. In my case I only care about a CachyOS or Manjaro Plasma desktop as my primary daily driver. I'm hoping I do not have to install a GPU card just for passthrough. However, it seems some, or most, of us will be waiting quite a while to get our hands on our MS-01 hardware. The last notice I got from Minisforum said my delivery was postponed until the end of April. Me not happy but maybe by then Proxmox will release a kernel 6.8+ add-on package with a decent cpu scheduler and better Xe gpu support.

Nmitsia

Mar 20, 2024
Hi guys thinking of buying the MS-01 together with a Qnap TL-D800S to serve as a TrueNas SCALE machine. So two questions for anybody who can respond:

1. If i remove the A+E Key wifi card and install an SSD with an M.2 adapter will it boot from the adapter ok? Thinking of going this route because i want to use the 3 internal M.2 for NVME storage. So the A+E Key wifi port will be the main boot option, since TrueNas is not that write or read intensive.

2. About the iGPU. Has anybody had any experience with TrueNas SCALE? Yeah i know, wrong forum. But im thinking instead of going the Proxmox route, i do a bare metal TrueNas SCALE install (latest with Linux kernel 6.6). Then i use Truecharts version of Jellyfin for transcoding.

Thanks a lot guys!

stich86

May 24, 2023
Guys just a question.. my ms01 has a strange behavior..

I’ve it installed into a closet where is also a dryer. The space is enough and the temperature when it runs are normally, but during the dryer operation only the two 10G nic are flapping at least 5/10 times. When the dryer finish the problem disappear

any suggestion? I’m currently using passive dac from 10Gtek

pf740

Mar 18, 2024
Hi

I hope someone can help. I am interested in ordering an i9 version and have a question.

I asked the manufacturer about wether its possible to install a dual 10gb RJ45 network card in the pci slot... the answers I have received refer to video cards which isn't helpful.
Does anyone know if you can use a dual 10gb RJ45 card and any models that work.

Alternatively if you have to use the sfp ports has anyone found sfp+ to rj45 modules that work properly? My isp provides 8gb over ethernet rj45 so I would prefer to use a card if it's even possible with this unit.

With thanks

Last edited:

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
I just got an E-Mail from the support, the shipment has been delayed again...
To be honest, I don't believe them anymore. At first, there was the delay because of chines new year holidays, now there are some weird power supply issues out of the blue.
I would never have bought the product if I had known about all the problems beforehand.

View attachment 35537
At least you received an email. I ordered 5 of the MS-01 back in January. Of course they charged my card immediately. I hadn't heard a single word from Minisforum so I sent a message to support. They responded and said they'd get back to me. That was over a week ago. Still haven't heard anything from them. I have a real dislike for the way they handled the pre-orders. So frustrating to see people who ordered after me already have their MS-01. There was one guy earlier in the thread who got his MS-01 - NEXT DAY! So frustrating.

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
At least you received an email. I ordered 5 of the MS-01 back in January. Of course they charged my card immediately. I hadn't heard a single word from Minisforum so I sent a message to support. They responded and said they'd get back to me. That was over a week ago. Still haven't heard anything from them. I have a real dislike for the way they handled the pre-orders. So frustrating to see people who ordered after me already have their MS-01. There was one guy earlier in the thread who got his MS-01 - NEXT DAY! So frustrating.
I just sent them an email and apparently the company is on vacation until the 25th. Yeah. The company is on vacation. Unbelievable.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Hi

I hope someone can help. I am interested in ordering an i9 version and have a question.

I asked the manufacturer about wether its possible to install a dual 10gb RJ45 network card in the pci slot... the answers I have received refer to video cards which isn't helpful.
Does anyone know if you can use a dual 10gb RJ45 card and any models that work.

Alternatively if you have to use the sfp ports has anyone found sfp+ to rj45 modules that work properly? My isp provides 8gb over ethernet rj45 so I would prefer to use a card if it's even possible with this unit.

With thanks
Yes to both.

Dual 10G NIC works on the PCI expansion card. Plenty of SFP+ to 10G-BASET modules that will work, as x710 NIC on the machine is not vendor locked.

Last edited:

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Guys anyone successfully managed to passthrough one of the X710 in proxmox to a VM? i need one of the two but whatever i do it passes both of them.
I also tried the SR-IOV thing.. i set the number to 4 and i try to pass one of this new cards that appeared to a VM, it seems ok but the VM doesnt have internet...