BMC Reset Default Password

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Just to add BMC updated to the newest FW without any problem.
This does not matter. If the VR triggers OCP it triggers OCP, no matter of a newly updated BMC. Issue can be that your BMC somehow can not trigger VR. If I'm not mistaken, if you are unable to process a full regular power cycle, this issue will persist. Or change some ACPI settings in the BIOS for power loss

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
Ok. clear, the problem is that BIOS does not show up, on KVM you can see only a black screen with no signal, even in maintenance bios is not show up.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Just to add BMC updated to the newest FW without any problem.
the contents of BMC flash chip is not just completely overwritten by FW update. some block with unique conf. data is left unchanged, and if this area is corrupted only a re-flash of the whole chip can help.
edit: i do not say this is the case. if you play further with that system you may brick your CPU, who knows.

Last edited:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
OK I will not play more on it....
gb00s do you have maybe EPYC MB m-atx (I change my scenerio)? Mayby Asrock Rack ?
No only same boards as you have or SM H11 or H12. My Gigabyte boards work flawless. Will send you an email.

EDIT: Btw ... I have not very nice experience with Asrock Rack boards. But your miles may .....

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
Hello,
I have the same problem! I can not login to the BMC and gigabyte does not answer me to send me the Mac2password file. How exactly do I reset the password now without login data??? Did not quite understand this from the previous posts.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How exactly do I reset the password now without login data??? Did not quite understand this from the previous posts.
if you can run ipmitool from same host (not remote LAN) you should able to reset PW.

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
Would directly on the server itself work?
Right now I installed Ubuntu and ipmitool through the console on it. But how do I reset the BMC without a password now? What do I have to put in the Cosole?

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
Ok, I never worked with this and I don’t quiet get how to do this with this manual. Also Ubuntu isn’t mentioned!

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
I think I managed something now. But when I type in
Sudo ipmitool user list
It shows invalid data field in request
When I type
Sudo ipmitool user set Password „newpassword“
It says either invalid or out of range User IF is limited to range <1..63>
No matter how long and what password i choose

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
But an other problem accrued now. I wanted to update the BMC firmware as well as the Bios now through the web gui. I can uploaded the files and it tells me update in progress and during the update I can not acces. So far so good. But after the update if I look into the firmware and bios infos, they both are still the same old Firmware! What went wrong? Why does it not update?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
But after the update if I look into the firmware and bios infos, they both are still the same old Firmware! What went wrong? Why does it not update?
this is updated after complete re-boot by BIOS(CPU required)
have you read the BIOS update readme.txt ? many GB BIOS must updated by DOS/EFI not, don't work with BMCWebGUI.

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
In the Gigabyte file it actually is mentioned how to update via BMC. The BMC firmware itself does also not update.

Chris574

Oct 4, 2023
What do u mean? I have the MZ32-ar0 rev.1.0 Bios Firmware is R19 BMc is 12.41.11. CPLD is 12