Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

john40406

Jul 15, 2023
Any suggestions on cooling M720Q tiny? I have temperature issues with my Opense router giving me Coretemp0 error.
Could you confirm the NIC you are using?

I'm using the Supermicro AOC-STG-i4S quad 10gb sfp+ with OpenWRT bare metal and it runs cool and quiet.
I had virtualized OpenWRT at first in ESXI but soon moved to bare metal when I noticed it idled at 22 watts vs 13watts on bare metal.

Are you virtualizing OpnSense?

986box

Oct 14, 2017
This is the Noctua fan in question. It has a USB adapter which plugs into one of the available ports.

Last edited:

butchr

Aug 19, 2021
Could you confirm the NIC you are using?

I'm using the Supermicro AOC-STG-i4S quad 10gb sfp+ with OpenWRT bare metal and it runs cool and quiet.
I had virtualized OpenWRT at first in ESXI but soon moved to bare metal when I noticed it idled at 22 watts vs 13watts on bare metal.

Are you virtualizing OpnSense?
Well I have a Supermicro 4 ports GEC AOC-SG-I4. Not virtualizing Opense . Do you have any modifications to the hardware? Fan, vented case. etc? Looks like in the virtualizing mode ( no rest states). CPU running constantly high...

john40406

Jul 15, 2023
Well I have a Supermicro 4 ports GEC AOC-SG-I4. Not virtualizing Opense . Do you have any modifications to the hardware? Fan, vented case. etc? Looks like in the virtualizing mode ( no rest states). CPU running constantly high...
GEC AOC-SG-I4 seems to consume about 5w but I've seen some info on this forum that RJ45s seem to run a bit warmer.

But 5w shouldn't dissipate that much heat hence I'm lead to assume that there might be some extra CPU activities since you're using PCIe V2.1
Personal opinion - could be good to stayed away from PCIe V2 NICs for routers in these Tiny(s) considering that they'll run 24x7.

Have you tested using a different NIC or perhaps a different firewall fw?

Last edited:

butchr

Aug 19, 2021
GEC AOC-SG-I4 seems to consume about 5w but I've seen some info on this forum that RJ45s seem to run a bit warmer.

But 5w shouldn't dissipate that much heat hence I'm lead to assume that there might be some extra CPU activities since you're using PCIe V2.1
Personal opinion - could be good to stayed away from PCIe V2 NICs for routers in these Tiny(s) considering that they'll run 24x7.

Have you tested using a different NIC or perhaps a different firewall sw?
I am at the very early phase of Opnsense configuration. Just the basic M720q Opnsense configuration with WAN address pass through from ATT gateway. Get errors of high temperature. I have tried 3-4 different NICs that have there own issues. After the process of elimination I have a NIC Supermicro AOC-SG-I4 that does not run as hot as the other NIC, but it does get hot after a longer running time. (or other factors). My backup Opnsense is a Dell 3010 that running fine. I just wanted to reduce footprint and power used. Also, want to take my OPNSense to the next level of router for my network. So my goal is to see how I can run cooler with Lenovo I5-8400T, 8GB RAM and Supermicro AOC-SG-I4 . So I am open to hear some Lenovo M720q cooling success stories ..

986box

Oct 14, 2017
I have AOC-STGN-I2S in m920q located in the basement closet. CPU core temp hit 45 degree when it’s hot outside. Planning to add the fan to pull hot air out.

butchr

Aug 19, 2021
I have AOC-STGN-I2S in m920q located in the basement closet. CPU core temp hit 45 degree when it’s hot outside. Planning to add the fan to pull hot air out.
It being summertime is not helping the situation. Hopefully, I can fine a solution. I really want to used the Lenovo m720q for my opnsense router. My backup Dell optiplex 3010 SFF runs under these conditions without any issues. Let me know if you have any fan suggestions or other fixes...

butchr

Aug 19, 2021
I think he ordered the Lenovo top cover with mesh holes and put the fan on top the cover to pull the hot air out.
Oh that good, the P330 vented cover and fan should bring the temperature down on the m720q. I took a chance a few days ago and ordered the vented cover for my m720q. Hopefully, I can mount an usb powered fan as well...

Lionkong

Aug 3, 2023
Oh that good, the P330 vented cover and fan should bring the temperature down on the m720q. I took a chance a few days ago and ordered the vented cover for my m720q. Hopefully, I can mount an usb powered fan as well...
Why don't you just drill some holes on the current top cover instead of buy a new top cover?

I have the temp problem on my m720q too.

I tried to play the ps1 game via Duckstation emulator.

The GPU ran 100% and the fan ran very loud.

Is it possible to replace the copper heatsink for it?

butchr

Aug 19, 2021
Why don't you just drill some holes on the current top cover instead of buy a new top cover?

I have the temp problem on my m720q too.

I tried to play the ps1 game via Duckstation emulator.

The GPU ran 100% and the fan ran very loud.

Is it possible to replace the copper heatsink for it?
Well, I thought about drilling holes. Then I decided, I wanted to have my m720q to still look good . ( I have modified PC cases by drilling vent holes in the past. Lot of work to make it look nice after the drilling.) Wanted to use that time to configure my OPNSense router. Also, I had invested money on the m720q, quad nic and riser etc, and buying a nice vented cover is not that much of a cost compared to the work to modify the current cover. .. I hope to have the m720q for a few years at lease looking and functioning well.

Lionkong

Aug 3, 2023
Well, I thought about drilling holes. Then I decided, I wanted to have my m720q to still look good . ( I have modified PC cases by drilling vent holes in the past. Lot of work to make it look nice after the drilling.) Wanted to use that time to configure my OPNSense router. Also, I had invested money on the m720q, quad nic and riser etc, and buying a nice vented cover is not that much of a cost compared to the work to modify the current cover. .. I hope to have the m720q for a few years at lease looking and functioning well.
You make me want to buy the top cover with vent holes for my m720q too :(

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
May I have your advice if the Chelsio CC2-N320E-SR SFP+ fit for the m720q with riser?
Just looking at it, I would say there's no way that would fit. I've been busy lately so I've not updated the first post, but the working number we generally used for maximum card length that fits in a Tiny was 15cm. It seems later models than yours may have slightly more space, say maximum another cm. How long is your card?

In general second hand 10GbE cards are not very much money, so getting this card free might not be such a big saving.

After installed the driver the card work on Windows 11. But I checked the link speed is only 2147 Mbps and not 10Gbps?
[...]
Is there something wrong on the card? Or what do I need to do so that it can get 10Gb link speed on?
Hard to troubleshoot with just that information. It could be an issue with the cable, the PC/switch at the other end, etc etc. There's no point putting effort into sorting this out anyway if the Windows PC is not where this card is going to stay either. I think you need to get things set up how you want first, then when it's stable you can set about getting it to work.

Lionkong

Aug 3, 2023
Just looking at it, I would say there's no way that would fit. I've been busy lately so I've not updated the first post, but the working number we generally used for maximum card length that fits in a Tiny was 15cm. It seems later models than yours may have slightly more space, say maximum another cm. How long is your card?

In general second hand 10GbE cards are not very much money, so getting this card free might not be such a big saving.

Hard to troubleshoot with just that information. It could be an issue with the cable, the PC/switch at the other end, etc etc. There's no point putting effort into sorting this out anyway if the Windows PC is not where this card is going to stay either. I think you need to get things set up how you want first, then when it's stable you can set about getting it to work.
Thanks for your reply.
I tried the Chelsio card. And you are right. It is not fit for M720q Tiny. :confused:

How about the Sun Oracle Intel X520-DA2 Dual Port 10GB PCIe HBA 7051223 Low Profile Card

Will it fit for Tiny? Sorry, I can't check how long for this card.
I just want to make sure it fit before I buy it.

Does this card will work with Pfsense?

Is there any recommend and that will surely fit for the Tiny?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Jennifer2023

Aug 12, 2023
I recently acquired three of the m920q -- i5-8500T, 1x16gb (Samsung), 5128GB NVME (WD SN730).

I love these little guys! Have them set up in a three node high availability Proxmox cluster -- with ZFS replication (no Ceph).

I got them b/c they have a PCIE slot, b/c I knew I wanted to add 10gbe SFP+ networking to them.

I recently bought off ebay: 3 x PCIE risers ($22 ea) along with 3 x IBM Emulex 49Y7952 OCE11102 Dual Port 10Gb NIC's ($14 ea). I got these in the mail yesterday.

I setup one of the nodes with the riser and a nic. It wouldn't boot, just hangs on the Lenovo title screen at startup -- with a constant 23W draw (according to my Kill-A-Watt).

I tried the other two identical risers and other two identical NICs in various combos and same exact problem, hangs at startup on the Lenovo screen.

I take them back out and things boot up just fine.

Any ideas?

john40406

Jul 15, 2023
I recently acquired three of the m920q -- i5-8500T, 1x16gb (Samsung), 5128GB NVME (WD SN730).

I love these little guys! Have them set up in a three node high availability Proxmox cluster -- with ZFS replication (no Ceph).

I got them b/c they have a PCIE slot, b/c I knew I wanted to add 10gbe SFP+ networking to them.

I recently bought off ebay: 3 x PCIE risers ($22 ea) along with 3 x IBM Emulex 49Y7952 OCE11102 Dual Port 10Gb NIC's ($14 ea). I got these in the mail yesterday.

I setup one of the nodes with the riser and a nic. It wouldn't boot, just hangs on the Lenovo title screen at startup -- with a constant 23W draw (according to my Kill-A-Watt).

I tried the other two identical risers and other two identical NICs in various combos and same exact problem, hangs at startup on the Lenovo screen.

I take them back out and things boot up just fine.

Any ideas?
Have you checked the boot menu? On mine, the NICs seems to appear in the boot order, hence it could easily be seen as boot device.

• Love
Reactions: Jennifer2023