Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeroturnpete

May 19, 2023
Question: how would I go about reinstalling secondary and primary images of a 6610? Just purchased a unit that came with none installed, is it a goner?

BCSwitch

Jun 17, 2023
Hello,

Just got a pair of 6650s, did the firmware upgrade using the guide (bootloader prompt and tftp). Everything seem to be fine except after the switches boot from the factory reset I get a "TFTP session timed out" message at the prompt every 30 seconds or so. I did try to clear the serverip (setenv serverip) but it made no difference... Looks like it is still trying to communicate with the TFTP server. Any ideas why? Thank you!

Attachments

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Just got a pair of 6650s, did the firmware upgrade using the guide (bootloader prompt and tftp). Everything seem to be fine except after the switches boot from the factory reset I get a "TFTP session timed out" message at the prompt every 30 seconds or so. I did try to clear the serverip (setenv serverip) but it made no difference... Looks like it is still trying to communicate with the TFTP server. Any ideas why? Thank you!
No, that is expected and noted in the guide

Code:
Now we turn off the DHCP client, so it doesn't automatically grab an IP and look for a TFTP config (the cause of the earlier timeout messages):

ip dhcp-client disable

BCSwitch

Jun 17, 2023
No, that is expected and noted in the guide

Code:
Now we turn off the DHCP client, so it doesn't automatically grab an IP and look for a TFTP config (the cause of the earlier timeout messages):

ip dhcp-client disable

D'oh, I guess I should have read it further... Thanks for the reply!

sultan.of.swing

Jun 21, 2023
Decided to join the forum since I was doing some research on switches and ran across this thread.
I picked up a 6610-48p this week and got it all setup and thanks to this thread only took me about an hour to get all setup and working.
I am coming from a few different Mikrotik Switches and I got accustomed to them and using DHCP server leases that way I could make sure the devices that I wanted to have a specific IP when dhcp was enabled on those machines then they would get the IP I set in the Mikrotik.

Is there a way to do that in the Brocade setup? I went into the ARP and set the mac addresses/IP's for the devices and that seems to work but I am sure there is a better way.
Just want to say thanks for all this information and guides like these are a lifesaver.

shadowplay0

Apr 13, 2023
Is there a way to do that in the Brocade setup? I went into the ARP and set the mac addresses/IP's for the devices and that seems to work but I am sure there is a better way.
Ruckus has a boatload of PDFs available, you'll just need to create an account on their support site. I don't have my collection handy or I'd attempt to figure out which one has the most dhcpd setup information.

A question of my own: The railkits if you can find them seem rather expensive. Does anyone happen to know of any substitutes that don't involve drilling holes? I'm not yet at the "physical mod" phase yet ;)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Ruckus has a boatload of PDFs available, you'll just need to create an account on their support site. I don't have my collection handy or I'd attempt to figure out which one has the most dhcpd setup information.

A question of my own: The railkits if you can find them seem rather expensive. Does anyone happen to know of any substitutes that don't involve drilling holes? I'm not yet at the "physical mod" phase yet ;)
if only all the documentation pdfs for the correct fastiron versions were included in the main guide zip alongside the firmware :)

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
updated the guide to the latest stable 8095 firmware train, 8095k. added a lil message in the zip (no, it's not me in the video). it's been fun yall good luck!
Could you possibly answer a last, final question?

Is it possible to use the 4x10G QSFP ports on the rear of the ICX6610 for stacking and the 40G ports for data?

Many people have tried, including me, but failed. It only seems to work the other way round, i.e. 40G for stacking and 4x10G for data or all of them for stacking.

Maybe you know how, or at least know that it's definitely not possible.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Many people have tried, including me, but failed. It only seems to work the other way round, i.e. 40G for stacking and 4x10G for data or all of them for stacking.
I think you know the answer. This certainly isn't a new question/request here and if there was a working solution, it would have likely been found already.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Could you possibly answer a last, final question?

Is it possible to use the 4x10G QSFP ports on the rear of the ICX6610 for stacking and the 40G ports for data?

Maybe you know how, or at least know that it's definitely not possible.
Nope