Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
hi. I have a Topton unit with i225 B3. I saw the "new" i226 units but it is worth the hassle of selling the unit with i225 and get i226 instead? Thanks!
So long as you have the B3 network chips then 'no' it's not worth swapping. In fact, you will have a broader OS range support right out of the box.

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
i put the PL1 to 20w and PL2 to 25w .... and no power or theermal limits where tripped package power never went above 20w .... but i still get a down clock....

what would be nice if it will boost to max all untill it reaches the thermal limit....

anyway bioses are crap and most of the settings do not apply anyway
Hi,
I saw a Chinese YT video (I turned on the English autotranslated subtitles) and I think the guy is saying that the board with the yellow sata port has exactly the issue you describe. He says it's a BIOS issue.
It's hard to understand with the subtitles, but take a look:
Then he has another video, about a bios update. I couldn't understand for what board, but looks like its a bios cooked by someone, I wouln't be comfortable using that, but see if you can make anything out of those videos.

Reactions: Stovar

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
- What is the power brick you are using for the PC?

- Are both chiplets on the SoC covered by the copper block? It has two screw holes - is any part of the chiplet under this?

- Does changing the Windows power plan from Balanced to High Performance make any difference?
- Meanwell 60 or 65W brick ... it should be plenty

- yes chiplets are well centered on copper block

- does not to make any difference on full load which profile i use .... only in idle

you have the CW unit or from topton or other seller ? ... what bios ?

yeah might be a bug, as this video ...although for v3 i think shows n5105 running full power for under 15w

im not sure if the V103 bios from their site is the actual v103 bios that came with the unit....i have a feeling is not exactli the same

Last edited:

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
yeah might be a bug, as this video ...although for v3 i think shows n5105 running full power for under 15w
im not sure if the V103 bios from their site is the actual v103 bios that came with the unit....i have a feeling is not exactli the same
I don't have any unit yet, I'm a bit lost in what to buy. It will also depend on 11.11 prices.

It's hard to understand because of Chinese, but the board on your posted video has a BLACK sata connector and he showed the board with the BIOS issue with a yellow sata connector. There are so many variations.
I guess your board has a yellow sata connector.

In the previous video I posted, he tests 2 almost identical boxs, but they are different motherboards and box sizes, also notice the yellow sata connector only on the right one:
1666269268520.png

The video I saw talking about a bios update was this one (I couldn't understand what motherboard is it for):
(Premiered Oct 18, 2022)
1666269928949.png
(from the video above)

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
yeah ... i ask on cw support from aliexpres ...will wait for an response.

boards are different gen or seller

is a good option if you will need only 2 ports .... granted, they are not Intel, but im sure they are supported

you can make a nice case out of plexi or 3d print it ....

Last edited:
Reactions: dums

dums

Aug 14, 2022
is a good option if you will need only 2 ports .... granted, they are not Intel, but im sure they are supported
Hardkernel tend to have decent support and documentation for their boards + board has 2x SATA ports + you can buy additional 4 ethernet ports if you need them. I wanted to buy H2+, but it was discontinued :(
I've already invested in Topton, but it would have been strong candidate.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
you have the CW unit or from topton or other seller ? ... what bios ?
I have the black motherboard CW unit with a single NVME slot from Topton. It's V2 and the BIOS is V 1.1 (2022/04/25) - that's probably the latest BIOS version for the V1/V2 boards

IMG_3639.jpeg

These are my BIOS settings for CPU Power Mgmt

IMG_3640.jpg IMG_3641.jpeg

Why is your PROCHOT set to 90C ?

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
I got a J6413 6 Port UNit Barebone and bought an addtional Crucial 16 GB DDR4 3200 SO-DIMM + Kingston 256 GB msata
It does mot matter which RAM Slot i use, i get always three short beeps First two times i really did not connect the ram good but after that it was tight in the slots.
Is it possible that the unit does not like that RAM?
16 GB should be possible since this unit can be shipped with 32 GB if you want to

Jakub

Oct 16, 2022
I got a J6413 6 Port UNit Barebone and bought an addtional Crucial 16 GB DDR4 3200 SO-DIMM + Kingston 256 GB msata
It does mot matter which RAM Slot i use, i get always three short beeps First two times i really did not connect the ram good but after that it was tight in the slots.
16 GB should be possible since this unit can be shipped with 32 GB if you want to
You need different memory unfortunately. Mine didn't take Crucial with my N5105, but took Samsung and teamforce.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
I have the black motherboard CW unit with a single NVME slot from Topton. It's V2 and the BIOS is V 1.1 (2022/04/25) - that's probably the latest BIOS version for the V1/V2 boards

View attachment 24930

These are my BIOS settings for CPU Power Mgmt

View attachment 24928 View attachment 24929

Why is your PROCHOT set to 90C ?
Is 90 because of an offset in bios under cpu thermal something...is the default...i can change it...but i dont reach 70c let alone 90

I think they messed-up the bios on v4 because they got heat complaints on v3.

On my topton v3 boost behavior was ok...but the bios did not had the advance bios options...like pl1 time custom time limit, or OC section.

What i also did not see in v4 is cpu reaching c8 states, so yeah bios is pretty bad in my opinion

Cw support told me that they passed question to bios engineers and maybe they will came with an update.
I gave them the YouTube videos in chinese posted here

Now we will see the fabled CW support in action.
Anyone with Cw v4 units, how is your boost behavior....cause it might be that my cpu came from a bad batch...

Last edited:

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Please provide a link to the exact item you purchased to act as a reference for others.

denisyan

Oct 20, 2022
Hello! I'm searching for 2.5Gb replace for my old ERX, and found this tread.
Some searching around Aliexpress and can't decide which one:

I'm planing to use this box for 2.5Gb lan to my NAS, WiFI 6E access point, VPN to my network (WireGuard or OpenVPN) and basically thats it (may be something more, but i don't know whats possible.
  1. Which one i should go? How much ram do i need, 8Gb or 16Gb? What will be better and problem free option, to put that on a shelf next to NAS and forget about it? What OS?
  2. I know that J4125 have Intel i225-V B3 instead of Intel i226-V, is that critical?
Thanks!

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021

I'm planing to use this box for 2.5Gb lan to my NAS, WiFI 6E access point, VPN to my network (WireGuard or OpenVPN) and basically thats it (may be something more, but i don't know whats possible.
  1. Which one i should go? How much ram do i need, 8Gb or 16Gb? What will be better and problem free option, to put that on a shelf next to NAS and forget about it? What OS?
  2. I know that J4125 have Intel i225-V B3 instead of Intel i226-V, is that critical?
Thanks!
The big question is money, do you have a budget limit for this router build?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Sure, Barebones N5105 just fits into budget. RAM and NVME I can found locally much cheaper second hand.
How does this one compare price wise in your country?

burtal

Jul 7, 2022

Thanks!

you can go with 8gb of ram (you can always add later when you can afford or you actually need it ) if you dont plan on running full os vms windows ... i had /will have a similar setup on proxmox running pfsesn and portainer for dockers (running unifi controler and pihole for testing) ... plenty of power and ram even with pfsense passthroug with 4gb ram allocated to it (pfsense can run fine with 2 gb)

if you go barebone then 8gb ram ...is enough ....also you can get a normal sata SSD .... way cheaper/ cooler and you will not notice the difference

i would suggest going for the unit that has the side fins or the hole... more heat dissipation power.

all will have the gap between cpu and cooper block ....bigger or smaller... so for best thermals you will need to go grind or shim way.

i would also suggest go i226 .... why not buy the latest gen of nics if the price is the same ? sure is not supported yet on stabel pfsense release ...

same for CPU ... why go j4125 when you can get N5105 or the new J ? ... difference in price is not that big but performance is.

denisyan

Oct 20, 2022

you can go with 8gb of ram (you can always add later when you can afford or you actually need it ) if you dont plan on running full os vms windows ... i had /will have a similar setup on proxmox running pfsesn and portainer for dockers (running unifi controler and pihole for testing) ... plenty of power and ram even with pfsense passthroug with 4gb ram allocated to it (pfsense can run fine with 2 gb)

if you go barebone then 8gb ram ...is enough ....also you can get a normal sata SSD .... way cheaper/ cooler and you will not notice the difference

i would suggest going for the unit that has the side fins or the hole... more heat dissipation power.

all will have the gap between cpu and cooper block ....bigger or smaller... so for best thermals you will need to go grind or shim way.

i would also suggest go i226 .... why not buy the latest gen of nics if the price is the same ? sure is not supported yet on stabel pfsense release ...

same for CPU ... why go j4125 when you can get N5105 or the new J ? ... difference in price is not that big but performance is.
Thanks! Yes, that’s also on my mind, why buy old, when there is new for sale price. Temperature and stability my main concern.

I think I will order n5105 today, waiting a message from Topton about v4