Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

orphanizer

Sep 6, 2022
I've been running bare metal OPNsense on my CWWK v4 n5105 unit for about a week now, rock solid. The only complaint I have is that I can't seem to make Intel speed step work properly. CPU frequency never drops below 2ghz.
Did the customary repasting/mount grinding. Temps are stable around 48C.
Same here. I tested the box with Fedora before installing opnsense and had idle temps reported around 26-28c with lm_sensors after applying HT-2. I didn't bother checking the frequencies at the time. With opnsense, I'm getting between 44-52c idle and the frequency is never dropping below 2000mhz. I'm thinking its a FreeBSD thing.

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I was considering purchasing a protectli for a router project however they just increased their price over $150 for the unit I was watching in a week and the device was already selling a huge premium. I decided instead to purchase the "fat" v3 version of this device based on the awesome discussion in this thread.

I purchased the barebones version of this unit: https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-Appliance-OPNsense-Untangle-HUNSN/dp/B0B53PWD3S

I am having difficulty finding an SSD that works. I purchased a WD Blue SA510 SATA SSD m.2 and the device does not recognize it at all in the bios.

I also tried a old popular Kingston SA400MB/120G drive that has been on the market for many years and this one doesn't work either!

In my unit I have a 2280 m.2 socket that is on the board labeled "PCIE2_M2". Under it is a 2224 size socket labeled WIFI. There is a daughter extender board plugged into this socket which connects a second m.2 2280 socket which sort of hovers above the main motherboard. I have tried both drives in both sockets.

Both drives work in other computers as expected. Do I have to configure the BIOS in a certain way to recognize these drives? I have never seen a motherboard that just didn't recognize common SSD drives before. Any other ideas on what is going wrong here?

Last edited:

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
I also bought a Noctua 5v fan (NF-A4x10) to mount on the bottom of the case and it also doesn't seem to work with this board. The PIN connector on the board labeled "FAN1" is much smaller than the connector on this fan.

There are some pins labeled "JCOM1" F_USB1". Does anyone know if I can use any of these pins? It looks like the FAN connector would fit on the "2" row of "JCOM1" or the "1' row of the "F_USB1" but I don't want to short anything out.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I was considering purchasing a protectli for a router project however they just increased their price over $150 for the unit I was watching in a week and the device was already selling a huge premium. I decided instead to purchase the v3 version of this device based on the awesome discussion in this thread.

I purchased the barebones version of this unit: https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-Appliance-OPNsense-Untangle-HUNSN/dp/B0B53PWD3S

From my understanding of the 57 pages of discussion, this should be the "Version 3 motherboard with one of the original fat cases".

I am having difficulty finding an SSD that works. I purchased a WD Blue SA510 SATA SSD m.2 and the device does not recognize it at all. I can't see it anywhere in the bios. This is the second revision of this WD Blue m.2 SSD so I thought maybe it was too new?

Next I tried a old popular Kingston SA400MB/120G drive that has been on the market for many years and this one doesn't work either!

In my unit I have a 2280 m.2 socket that is on the board labeled "PCIE2_M2". Under it is a 2224 size socket labeled WIFI. There is a daughter extender board plugged into this socket which connects a second m.2 2280 socket which sort of hovers above the main motherboard. I have tried both drives in both sockets.

I also tested both of these drives in a laptop and another computer and they are detected as expected so I don't think the problem is with the drives. Do I have to configure the BIOS in a certain way to recognize these drives? I have never seen a motherboard that just didn't recognize common SSD drives before. Any other ideas on what is going wrong here?
My understanding after reading several pages is that V3 is based on older I225V NICs, that also happen to have tiny bit of gap between copper sink and the CPU. Many smart folks on here figured did some filing on the mounting studs close that gap. Not bad because last thing you want to do is ship it back to China.

Never V4 is based on I226V NICs and I can confirm personally there is no gap between the CPU and the copper heatsink. But after reading others suggestions, I did change the thermal paste with Noctua one I had laying around.

I went with 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 SSD and Ripjaw 32Gx2, both are working like a charm. Proxmox is running rock solid, so is OMV.

Now the troubling part, current pfSense 2.6CE does not support I226V, but the good news is that driver support is already added to 2.7CE snapshot version, and I can confirm NIC passthrough on this version did pick the correct drivers.

Trouble with Ubuntu VMs, several people witnessed and reported this issue here as well as at Proxmox forum. Good news here is that this is most likely not a hardware issues and with the edge kernel update (link I posted above), have resolved this issue or atleast I haven't see any overnight crash so far. With default Kernel, VMs were crashing once or twice a day.

Questions to other, on Proxmox forum I noticed many people, in addition to Kernel update also did a Intel microcode update. Anybody has instructions on how to do that?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I also bought a Noctua 5v fan (NF-A4x10) to mount on the bottom of the case and it also doesn't seem to work with this board. The PIN connector on the board labeled "FAN1" is much smaller than the connector on this fan.

There are some pins labeled "JCOM1" F_USB1". Does anyone know if I can use any of these pins? It looks like the FAN connector would fit on the "2" row of "JCOM1" or the "1' row of the "F_USB1" but I don't want to short anything out.
I did the same expect that it was Noctua 12V and and the sacrificed SATA power/data cable connector to borrow the 12V supply. While the fan is running as full speed (no PWM), it's barely audible.

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
I did the same expect that it was Noctua 12V and and the sacrificed SATA power/data cable connector to borrow the 12V supply. While the fan is running as full speed (no PWM), it's barely audible.
So the 12v version of this fan fits the SATA power pins on the board? Did you have to mod it in anyway?

I actually asked the vendor first what type of fan to buy and they recommended a 40x10 4 pin 5v fan so I am disappointed it doesn't work.

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
I went with 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 SSD and Ripjaw 32Gx2, both are working like a charm.
Are these nvme or sata m.2 drives?

My understanding after reading several pages is that V3 is based on older I225V NICs, that also happen to have tiny bit of gap between copper sink and the CPU.
At least in my case, there was no CPU gap. The first thing I did was remove the board and look at how it was pasted. It was actually pasted well with a grey grease in the right portion, not over applied. There was also two little clear silicon strips on either side of the metal chip die which look to support the copper heat sink which is the size of the entire chip, not just the metal die. Did yours have these little support strips as well?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So the 12v version of this fan fits the SATA power pins on the board? Did you have to mod it in anyway?

I actually asked the vendor first what type of fan to buy and they recommended a 40x10 4 pin 5v fan so I am disappointed it doesn't work.
SATA power cable connector that comes with the machine carry both 5V and 12V, so all you have to do is identify the right pair, cut open and connect the right pair to the connector provided by Noctua. Put some heat shrink warp, and you're all set.

Just make sure you got the polarity right before sealing the heat shrink tube.

To clarify a bit, I did probe with DMM to get the polarity and voltage pair right. Don't want to smoke the little guy ;)

Last edited:

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Are these nvme or sata m.2 drives?

At least in my case, there was no CPU gap. The first thing I did was remove the board and look at how it was pasted. It was actually pasted well with a grey grease in the right portion, not over applied. There was also two little clear silicon strips on either side of the metal chip die which look to support the copper heat sink which is the size of the entire chip, not just the metal die. Did yours have these little support strips as well?
Yes, it's a M.2 NVME.

Yeah, I did notice those transparent silicone strips on either sides. Presumably to distribute the pressure evenly across the package.

Last edited:

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
Yes, it's a M.2 NVME.

Yeah, I did notice those transparent silicone strips on either sides. Presumably do distribute the pressure evenly across the package.
I wonder if that is my problem. I tried two m.2 SATA SSD drives (not nvme). I wonder if this board will not accept an m.2 SATA SSD or if it will only accept a m.2 nvme drive. i haven't really seen a board where the m.2 socket wouldn't accept a SATA or nvme drive but I guess it is possible.

I was hoping that a SATA drive would work because for a firewall/router application a cooler and less power demanding SATA drive would be a better match, nvme drives test to run hot and suck up the juice.

Has anyone else use an m.2 SATA SSD drive with this board such as the WD Blue or the Kingston?

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
SATA power cable connector that comes with the machine carry both 5V and 12V, so all you have to do is identify the right pair, cut open and connect the right pair to the connector provided by Noctua. Put some heat shrink warp, and you're all set.

Just make sure you got the polarity right before sealing the heat shrink tube.

To clarify a bit, I did probe with DMM to get the polarity and voltage pair right. Don't want to smoke the little guy ;)
Looking at this adapter cable I see red, black, black and yellow. I think the yellow might be the 5v. Did you end up using the pin where the red wire would go for the 12v fan?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Looking at this adapter cable I see red, black, black and yellow. I think the yellow might be the 5v. Did you end up using the pin where the red wire would go for the 12v fan?
Ah, wish I had taken a picture or two and posted it here for reference. Have to take down all my VMs, that I hate to do at the moment.

Anyway, this should be helpful, but looks like 5V is red? But when it doubt always measure.

Last edited:

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Yes better links
I was thinking of something like these, but with NVME.
Yes you're right.
See how the one in the link above has four USB-3 ports in the video, but only two in the photos. I was chasing a version with four USB-3 ports and six ethernet ports.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
so proxmox has been solid for you?
Yeah, Proxmox host did not crash on me even once in my two weeks testing so far. Same with OMV.

Only Ubuntu VM and HomeAssistant OS have been pain with stock Proxmox kernel. pfSense testing is due, having hard time porting the 2.6CE config to 2.7CE snap for I226V support.

Reactions: BrutusBoots

iooserve

Sep 27, 2022
SATA is not supported in the M.2 slots of the V4 N5105. I tried a Kingston M.2 SATA SSD in both M.2 slots. The only way to add a SATA drive is the SATA connector.
Thanks for confirming, this is what I gather. This is too bad m.2 sata drivers are not supported, nvme drives run hot and consume a lot of power especially for an internet appliance like this where heat is an issue.

I will have to purchase a low power nvme. What nvme drive did you end up using? I tried an evo 970 plus but the drive heats right up even at idol and it isn't that power efficient.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Thanks for confirming, this is what I gather. This is too bad m.2 sata drivers are not supported, nvme drives run hot and consume a lot of power especially for an internet appliance like this where heat is an issue.

I will have to purchase a low power nvme. What nvme drive did you end up using? I tried an evo 970 plus but the drive heats right up even at idol and it isn't that power efficient.
I would not be too worried about NVME running hotter compared to SATA drives on this particular machine.

Power difference should be marginal at best because unlike other M.2 interfaces that typically run at PCI Gen3 x4 lanes. This particular machine only supports PCI Gen3 x1 lane for NVME.

8Gbps on Gen3 x1 vs. 6Gbps SATAIII can't have much of power differential.