THE CHIA FARM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
let's say i want to run 25 parallel plots, does this mean 25 * 3390mib memory and 25 * 2 threads ?
More or less.

The memory size is configurable, with a minimum of like 2800, and a maximum of 6750mb. The 3390 default is where you get most of the speedups; bigger gives very small improvements beyond that. But if you're trying to fit more parallel processes into a fixed ram size, decreasing that number can sometimes be helpful.

As far as threads, only phase 1, which occupies about the first 1/3 of the plot time, is multithreaded at all. There is a decent speedup by going from 2 threads to 4, so if you have enough cores, it's recommended. Therefore, IMO the recommended number of threads for n parallel plots would be 4 * (1/3) * n + (2/3) * n = 2n. But if you want to run 2 threads only in phase 1, you'd only need (4/3)*n, which may let you run more in parallel. Which is better will depend on your exact hardware.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
More or less.

The memory size is configurable, with a minimum of like 2800, and a maximum of 6750mb. The 3390 default is where you get most of the speedups; bigger gives very small improvements beyond that. But if you're trying to fit more parallel processes into a fixed ram size, decreasing that number can sometimes be helpful.

As far as threads, only phase 1, which occupies about the first 1/3 of the plot time, is multithreaded at all. There is a decent speedup by going from 2 threads to 4, so if you have enough cores, it's recommended. Therefore, IMO the recommended number of threads for n parallel plots would be 4 * (1/3) * n + (2/3) * n = 2n. But if you want to run 2 threads only in phase 1, you'd only need (4/3)*n, which may let you run more in parallel. Which is better will depend on your exact hardware.
exact hardware ? ram 512gb, cpu 256 threads :p:p

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
lists a few more
I checked the other web pages and they look very shady. It looks like for WA residents, only some of the crypto exchanges are applicable, like the major ones.

So I have no option other than waiting for exchanges to open up, using VPN or selling it on craigslist. Let me try craigslist one. I am going to form the open air crypto stock market like in 18th century :D

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
or i am very stupid...or chia is not for me...the situation:

from the moment i double-click to open chia.exe (under windows 10 enterprise) till the moment i see node syncing, it takes more than 30 minutes. i dont think this is normal behaviour for my hardware (epyc 7742 with 256 threads, 512gb ram memory, boot ssd sata-600).
port 8444 is aleardy open in my dsl-modem/router.

already couple of times deleted ~/.chia/mainnet/wallet/db

already changed config.yaml to set timeout to 400
weight_proof_timeout under full_node

already couple of time deleted
~/.chia/mainnet/db/peer_table_node.sqlite

anything else i can do to get chia.exe faster to function ??

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Do you have peer connections?
what do you mean by that? my computer is connected to a switch. switch is connected to dsl-modem/router.

hold on...trying to install on different computer behind different switch

edit: on the second computer behind different switch and fresh install of chia, i get in 1 minute the screen for wallet private key. click on private key, 1 minute later is node syncing....whether my first computer is messed up pretty (OS-wise or firewall-wise) or the switch fro 1st computer is getting me crazy. but this cann't be the reason for connection problems, because i yesterday had same problems behind another switch. today i changed the switch and yet same problem

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Under the Full Node Icon, scroll down, there is a Connections overview.
Since 1.1.6 the situation has improved greatly but previously there were some issues where ppl didnt get connections to peers and thus couldnt sync the blockchain.

Its normal that it takes a while to fully sync, but it should start after a few minutes (not 30).
Have you checked the log? Changed to another Loglevel maybe?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well that certainly does not look good. I assume you wiped the installation and reinstalled?

maybe try in a vm with less resources?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I just installed new chia on a laptop and it is taking more than a day to catch up but it seems like you have a series network problem. Perhaps you didn't open the firewall?

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Is there any interest in a stackable open-air frame for plotting rigs?

View attachment 18733

-Rich
Not bad. I suggest to make a 2.5" drice version too.

Tha lack off cooling solution of the hdd-s are not too good for the hdd-s.

PS: Chia mining using 2.5" 500GB sata wd black hdd-s are fine, too. I bought 16 drives, for 13EUR each, than putting them to a controller, i test it in raid 0.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
It is
Not bad. I suggest to make a 2.5" drice version too.

Tha lack off cooling solution of the hdd-s are not too good for the hdd-s.

PS: Chia mining using 2.5" 500GB sata wd black hdd-s are fine, too. I bought 16 drives, for 13EUR each, than putting them to a controller, i test it in raid 0.
It is probably still cheaper and easier to buy a disk shelves. AFAIS, they are still very cheap but that may change soon. It is very hard to guess the direction of chia. With 21M chia waiting in company coffers, price can swing down with one simple decision but with current prices, mining has crazy returns. Just the risk :)

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
i have opportunity to buy IBM NetApp EF560 disk shelf 2U for 24* 2,5 inch ssd/hdd.

controllers are like this (2 controllers)

is this shelf easy in use ?
shelf has 2 controllers with each controller 2 pprts of sff-8644 for host connection.
- is this just plug-and-play with any raid or hba card ??
- or is there some special software needed ?
- can i put any sas hdd in it with 512b sector ? or is it working with strange byte sectors (522b of 526b)?

this shelf i want to use with Dell seagate savvio ST900MM0006 900gb 10k 2,5 inch sas-2 hdd. is it goig to work with combination?

also i can buy netapp 4246.
same questions for this shelf....

any idea ??

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I believe 2.5 drives are not useful for farming but only for plotting. That might be something to consider. How much are they asking for Ds4246?