Hardware pron thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Woah, those 8`old CPUs must crank out some heat! My electric bill would sure make me think about upgrading I hope you have super cheap electric where you are!!

EDIT: There's some passmarks of a 4x CPU 2.9GHZ x7350 system and it doesn't break 10k mark if that's accurate an E3 1P would out perform it, insane!! This is only 7 years ago.

Gerk

Oct 24, 2016
Oakville, ON, Canada
Woah, those 8`old CPUs must crank out some heat! My electric bill would sure make me think about upgrading I hope you have super cheap electric where you are!!

EDIT: There's some passmarks of a 4x CPU 2.9GHZ x7350 system and it doesn't break 10k mark if that's accurate an E3 1P would out perform it, insane!! This is only 7 years ago.
Electricity is not very cheap at all where I live (!!), but you have to also realize that there's more to server setups than the sheer amount of bogomips it can push. My FreeNAS box hovers around 4.0 to 6.0 for it's load average most of the time during peak hours. Lots and lots of little tasks and in that case a newer/faster processor might not necessarily give you better performance. My ESXi box hovers around 200-240w for typical usage which is not too bad considering. The FreeNAS box (r900) probably more like 400-500w. Compared to the HP DL580 I just got rid of that's nothing. That thing ran between 850-1200w most of the time. So I already did upgrade ;)

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Here's some stuff spanning a few months I've been working on. Just finally buttoned up the last piece of the puzzle. ( 10G cabling to individual workstations to 2nd floor using MTP/MPO and breakout cassettes on both ends )

I need to have the company budget for a 40GbE switch, or a dual 10G/40GbE redundant switching setup :p

Last edited:

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Those are sexy PDUs.. if PDUs can be sexy?!
Very nice cabling job though the two on the bottom left are triggering my OCD a bit :)

Reactions: brinox

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a buddy who was on the processor design team for Alpha's ... they were years ahead of their time.

New(er):
Dell R710, 4x Xeon 2.2Ghz quad core, 96GB ram (esxi)
Dell r900, 4x Xeon 2.6Ghz quad core, 256GB ram (FreeNAS)
Norco 4224 (top, half full)
2x Dell MD1000 (between 710 and 900)
have you found a way to make your MD1000's quieter? or are you in a situation where noise isn't a factor at all? I've heard the MD1000 with the right controller can handle 4TB drives... possible larger?

Gerk

Oct 24, 2016
Oakville, ON, Canada
have you found a way to make your MD1000's quieter? or are you in a situation where noise isn't a factor at all? I've heard the MD1000 with the right controller can handle 4TB drives... possible larger?
Noise is not that much of a factor for me. I didn't try to quiet them down any. In terms of a controller yes they work with any SATA/SAS compatible drives, the limit previously was the controller card they shipped with had a 32bit limit. They are still limited to some degree in terms of speed as the backplanes only negotiate at 3G speeds but given the drives that I use it doesn't really make much of a difference because they max out at 3G speeds anyway.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Does this show my age? LOL

The green button means "Turbo" is on and running at 8 MHz!!

EDIT: Yes it still runs!! Built in 1986.

8086 cpu, 640k ram, 2mb memory add-in card that Xenix cant see but MSDOS can use, original 20 mb mfm drive, microsoft bus mouse, its on its second power supply buy the way, NEC V30 8086 cpu that has 80186 instructions for a unimaginable %15 speed improvement, I have a OLD 8 bit ATI isa color vga card for it but I like the original amber better. Sometimes I swap in a isa 8 bit IDE hard drive and controller card for some DOS fun.

Xenix 86 is NOT y2k compatible and no internal clock so I have to set it manually or in dos I have configured it to connect to the internet to get the time.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Hard to believe this but this was $5000.00 just three short years ago. I had to fix a bad port on the controller card by de-soldering the data port and moving it to a unused spot a couple of nights ago.

Just thought I would post some interesting bits of hardware that you do not see much any more.

No its not profitable now but with a possible split/fork with bitcoin I wanted to make sure it does run. Need to get a better power supply tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xicaque and Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Wait... is that an arduino driving some FPGAs/ASICs? I'm not sure what i'm looking at here
It is a BeagleBoard Black running Linux controlling four asic's to mine Bitcoins .

KNC Jupiter bitcoin miner.

Hashes at about 640 GH/s.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
broken even on that thing yet?
I paid a little less than $65.00 for it, I really wanted just the case for a project but I started to tinker with it and got it running .

Love to tinker with electronics.

So if you include my enjoyment factor working on it and fixing it without spending another cent on it and then selling the guts if I decide to then yea I will at least brake even. :)

But with Bitcoins potential fork and or split I will probably just keep it for a while in case Bitcoins mining difficulty halfs as some are forecasting and then fire it up.

Last edited:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Ah sweet, i've always been quite skeptical of the whole bitcoin mining economics, especially the outlay for diminishing returns.

Glad that it's bringing you enjoyment though, as that's easily the best payment!