EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
12-3 8 gauge - 25 amp bipole circuit into a Y6-30 outlet. Ups only pulls 20amps max

Hooking it up in main circuit panel is easy as long as you dont have a sub panel.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
That's actually what I was looking at. I had thought about 10 gauge but like I said, I only want to do this once and don't wanna have the awe crap I wish I had done..

How much crap you got on that ups? I ran all my SM 846's and never pulled half of that.

Luckily I don't have a sub panel, just my main service panel in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Not much. Idles at 485 watts. Ups is 3000watt max. I can hit hit 75% useage with dlp projector, sub amp, receiver doing full 7.2.4 atmos speaker feed and cpus pegged doing transcoding. Just ran it that heavy so i wouldnt have to do it again if i say wanted to add a massive sub amp for new 21" and 24" sub i have stored waiting on box build. No point not having beefyish wiring for a bit more

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
That's actually what I was looking at. I had thought about 10 gauge but like I said, I only want to do this once and don't wanna have the awe crap I wish I had done..

How much crap you got on that ups? I ran all my SM 846's and never pulled half of that.

Luckily I don't have a sub panel, just my main service panel in the garage.

May as well do it right and run two circuits for redundancy. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
No both from neighbors if you can swing it and they dont notice the underground trench into their yard. If they are that not paying attention while you are at it run ethernet and cable line into their place too. haha.

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
No both from neighbors if you can swing it and they dont notice the underground trench into their yard. If they are that not paying attention while you are at it run ethernet and cable line into their place too. haha.
And one of these new JBODs as a backup target.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
12-3 8 gauge - 25 amp bipole circuit into a Y6-30 outlet. Ups only pulls 20amps max

Hooking it up in main circuit panel is easy as long as you dont have a sub panel.
Did you mean to say you run 8/3? You wrote 12/3 but said 8 gauge. Even if I carry the 2 it didn't add up for me :)

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Yeah sorry meant 8-3 ran some 12-3 the other day and it was in my head. You could probably do 10-3 if it is 50 ft or less. It can handle 24 amps at 240v. 8 guage can handle 32 amps at 240v. 12 gauge can handle 16 amps. Note: continuous use not burst ratings. Temp load can be much higher

Last edited:

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I just went back and looked at post #30 with the pic of the power supply. Am I reading this wrong or does it show these units will run on 110??

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I just went back and looked at post #30 with the pic of the power supply. Am I reading this wrong or does it show these units will run on 110??

That was a pic off of one of the ones in Europe I believe. Check yours but I haven't seen any of them that list 110 like that original pic.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
So the power supply itself does indicate support for 110...

That just boggles my mind that it shows it supports 110 but yet others are saying it's a no go when they tried 110. That makes no sense to me.

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
That just boggles my mind that it shows it supports 110 but yet others are saying it's a no go when they tried 110. That makes no sense to me.

Maybe there's a switch someplace on the PS that flips it to 110.

Any other reasons why folks can think the chassis won't support 110 but the power supplies do?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Maybe there's a switch someplace on the PS that flips it to 110.

Any other reasons why folks can think the chassis won't support 110 but the power supplies do?

Thats the only thing that came to mind that would make sense as I know some of the older models we use to see back in the day had the switch on the back before all this auto switching stuff.

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Thats the only thing that came to mind that would make sense as I know some of the older models we use to see back in the day had the switch on the back before all this auto switching stuff.

I wonder if any testing was done with only one power supply connected at 110. Maybe the chassis requires 220 which could either be supplied by 1x220 or 2x110s.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I wonder if any testing was done with only one power supply connected at 110. Maybe the chassis requires 220 which could either be supplied by 1x220 or 2x110s.

Plugging in both supplies at 110v gets no reaction.

My best guess as to why 200v+ is required even though the supplies themselves are capable of using 110v is to handle the start up power draw of 60 HDDs. Since this chassis is meant to run on just one supply in case the other fails then it means each psu has to be able to handle a very high but short lived power draw during disk spin up. See this link for what this looks like: Start up Power Draw - 45 Drives Technical Information Wiki

Their conclusion is that 60 HDDs can pull about 1600 watts. Since the ratings for 110v on these psus can't provide that power then the lower voltage was either disabled on the PSUs themselves or the power distribution board that they plug into can tell what the AC voltage being used is and doesn't turn them on when it's less than 200.