ZOL on Hyper V?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Good Morning, been tying to locate the article where ZOL/ napp-it was run on Hyper V or similar, believe it was by Patrick? Spent several hrs over the last week looking for it. WOnder if it was lost with the colo server issues last year?

Appreciate any help / clarification or Link to it.. Perhaps was looking for it to hard and missed it!!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
The problem you will have with ZFS in genera on Hyper-V is that you can't "truly" pass through the disks to a vm. There is a level of abstraction that prevents things like smartmontools from working correctly. I would suggest ESXi, Xen, or KVM if you really want to virtualized ZFS a and enjoy all of the data protection features it offers.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Does ZFS even use smart data? I have a feeling that the filesystem doesn't care about smart and will work perfectly fine even with Hyper-V's abstracted disks (or with ESXi virtual-mode RDM's, or .vmdk files on VMFS, or .vhd files on NTFS for that matter). You may end up missing out on smart data in the management tool (I don't know if eg. napp-it displays smart data in the web-gui), but you would still be able to get it from the host OS. But at least ZFS's data protection and self-healing properties will work just fine without smart.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You are correct. ZFS does not use smart and no aspect of ZFS is compromised using hyper-v drive passthrough.

Running a file server you may want access to smart, but zfs does not require it or use it directly.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Reactions: Biren78 and pgh5278