ZimaBoard 216 for $83.90

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tingcrab

May 15, 2018
ZimaBoard 216 for $83.90

There's also a 216 Super Bundle for $97.70
ZimaBoard 216
SATA Y-Cable for ZimaBoard
2.5" Hard Disk Stand
Mini DisplayPort Male to HDMI Female Cable 1080P

Reactions: Markess and altmind

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I don't think these are that great. For a slightly bigger footprint and at a slightly lower price, you can get a dell wyse 5070 (quad core J5005).

Reactions: Samir and Marjan

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
The PCIe is attractive over the base Wyse, but the extended version of the 5070 gives you an actual enclosure with a slot for $20 or so more. I think this is potentially an interesting deal if you need two NICs and x86, though.

Reactions: Samir and Marjan

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
CPU: Intel Celeron N3350 Dual Core 1.1-2.4GHz (216 Model)
1100 passmark 2016 cpu for 80$+... who in their right mind would buy these.
Its the cliche kickstarter product, obsolete already at the planning point but buzzwords sell.

The most suprising is that they still exist, afaik Intel has "politely requested" that they stop using their chips and branding.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
The PCIe is attractive over the base Wyse, but the extended version of the 5070 gives you an actual enclosure with a slot for $20 or so more. I think this is potentially an interesting deal if you need two NICs and x86, though.
I was about to argue until I saw that the PCIe is 2.0 x4. Ouch.

Reactions: Samir

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
They are all based on EOL N3000 series Celerons from 2016... Essentially a Raspberry Pi but with a less useful ecosystem and more power consumption (if we're also taking price into account).

Around here you can't get a Wyse or any other Dell/HP/Lenovo box for that price (you'd have to double it before you get anything), but even then this non-standard form factor is making it even less useful. Besides preventing those old celerons ending up as e-waste I don't really see much use for me.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Interesting. I was just thinking about posting here to ask what people are using these days for small SBCs…and here this was.

When I go on vacation with the family, I usually take something small and compact to tinker with, and an SBC is usually easy to haul along.

I’ve got RPis, 1 through 3b. But they are all 1G or less RAM, so a bit limiting, and 4s are still crazy expensive. This trip, I took some Onion Omega stuff, from a Kickstarter a couple years back, to play with, but looking for something else for the next outing. Preferably with enough RAM to do some virtualization.

Since I’m looking for tinkering, and not “production” some of the limitations of boards like this (slow, PCIe 2.0, older gen CPU) are less of an issue I suppose.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I was about to argue until I saw that the PCIe is 2.0 x4. Ouch.
Yeah the celeron onboard stuff does not get gen3 before 6000 series.
Its also very strapped on lanes in general.

3000/4000/5000, gen2 6lanes
6000, gen3 8lanes
(As a bonus fun fact the 6000 series is also first gen able to do 64gb ram)

Besides preventing those old celerons ending up as e-waste I don't really see much use for me.
id say there is a decent chance they are bought from recyclers picking them off e-waste tbh

Considering the chips were out of production/sale for a while already when they even launched their kickstarter and that they have been in hot water with intel about using chips bought elsewhere without permission.
For intel partners with leftover chips to sell them to third party directly would be a massive risk for not much return.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Considering the chips were out of production/sale for a while already when they even launched their kickstarter and that they have been in hot water with intel about using chips bought elsewhere without permission.
I don't think they would have gotten in trouble for using used chips, but these must be fakes that they ran or sourced from someone making fakes. Kinda like how Intel probably would have an issue with someone making something with 'new' lga775 cpus.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
but these must be fakes that they ran or sourced from someone making fakes.
There is zero chance that they are fakes.

The amount of time, manpower and funding to setup something like that.
To make celerons and sell them at a loss? that is not based in reality...

Reactions: Alfa147x

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
id say there is a decent chance they are bought from recyclers picking them off e-waste tbh

I don't think they would have gotten in trouble for using used chips, but these must be fakes that they ran or sourced from someone making fakes. Kinda like how Intel probably would have an issue with someone making something with 'new' lga775 cpus.
I've seen a few Kickstarters that were based on someone getting a quantity of obsolete components via liquidation or similar sale. An obsolete CPU in decent quantity, or heck a whole board meant for something else that they created a case for, for example.

Atomic Pi was one of those that I recall. I understand that it started life as some sort of robotics microcontroller that didn't sell in quantity. The folks that bought the remaining stock turned it over on Kickstarter as an "x86 RPi alternative". They didn't even touch the boards themselves. AFAIK, they just did instruction PDFs on setup and use, and procured power supplies and some other bits for the more extensive pledge options. Could be that these ZimaBoard folks are doing something similar. They could even be flipping some board that was made for something else back when the components were "current". Although, I can see how someone assembling boards with NOS CPUs that they bought/"obtained" from a manufacturer that wasn't supposed to resell remaining stock after a production run ended, would p*ss Intel off.

Obligatory disclaimer: I'm not associated with any of these boards, companies, Intel, etc....shucks, even my wife would probably disavow me if you asked her :p

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
If the Chinese have had so much engineering cabability and or cloning ability to clone celerons at profit Intel would have been in deep trouble already from Chinese cloners.
Your anti-American hatred here is coloring your judgement. Give credit where it is due.

Ofcourse i am assuming these CPUs are fully functional and according to specs.

Reactions: Alfa147x

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Atomic Pi was one of those that I recall. I understand that it started life as some sort of robotics microcontroller that didn't sell in quantity. The folks that bought the remaining stock turned it over on Kickstarter as an "x86 RPi alternative". They didn't even touch the boards themselves. AFAIK, they just did instruction PDFs on setup and use, and procured power supplies and some other bits for the more extensive pledge options.
Atomic Pi was the motherboards for the Kuri robot that Bosch scrapped just after making almost 100k boards.
They designed the flawed addon/power board (that would fry the mobo in some scenarios) themself, something clearly reflected in the diffrence in design/production quality i suppose.

The Zima has actualy had some revisions from their earliest designs and planned spec switched around.
Its not really the cpu segment you would expect for embedded boards either, so id expect them to have designed it.

Although, I can see how someone assembling boards with NOS CPUs that they bought/"obtained" from a manufacturer that wasn't supposed to resell remaining stock after a production run ended, would p*ss Intel off.
If not for being such a small and unknown problem id expect intel to have wiped the floor with them in court already.

Its a massive brand problem allaround from the performance/security of that chip sold today to just the downright quality/stability of them.
Especialy with how established intel themself are in that segment, they generaly dont even allow their largest partners to compete much with NUC.

If the Chinese have had so much engineering cabability and or cloning ability to clone celerons at profit Intel would have been in deep trouble already from Chinese cloners.
Your anti-American hatred here is coloring your judgement. Give credit where it is due.
How many times have not western goverments also backed xx billion $/€ projects that has been scrapped after years of not being able to reach the kinda production level of making even those old cpus.
To have a new player in that market would be massive news and not something you do under the radar to make celerons.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
There is zero chance that they are fakes.

The amount of time, manpower and funding to setup something like that.
To make celerons and sell them at a loss? that is not based in reality...
I dunno about that--there's still fake lga775 processors new on ebay all the time. $5 on a 5 cent investment is still a hell of a return...

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Ofcourse i am assuming these CPUs are fully functional and according to specs.
Engineering, not yet. Cloning capability, yes.

It's not a matter if they can clone them, but probably how many can they clone and not get into trouble. We all know how hard it is to find a genuine used Intel nic, and they have stepped up their copying game over the years.

You can call it what you want (anti-chinese is I think what you meant), but the fact still remains that fakes are a reality when obtaining even component level electronics these days, mainly due to the advent of outsourcing to china.

The Intel cloned nics were functional--until you had to do iscsi and some other things that for some reason 'just didn't work right' when a genuine card did. And whether a fake works correctly or not isn't the point--if a fake is a theft of someone else's hard work, then it's theft plain and simple and shouldn't be supported. That is rule of law vs rule by law.

• Haha
Reactions: Cruzader

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
We all know how hard it is to find a genuine used Intel nic
I dont think there is many in that "we" group there with you tbh
Its not in any way hard to find genuine used intel nics...

What is actualy hard is to buy fakes of popular models to use as comparison examples.

It's not a matter if they can clone them, but probably how many can they clone and not get into trouble.
Has there even been confirmed cases of clone production of modern intel cpus?

I dont think ive ever seen that confirmed for the modern stuff at all.

no rubbing off the text or delid it and sell as a diffrent model does not count.
(And yes that is what powerstar/powerleader also did with their P3 or what it was called that was written alot about recently)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I dont think there is many in that "we" group there with you tbh
Its not in any way hard to find genuine used intel nics...

What is actualy hard is to buy fakes of popular models to use as comparison examples.

Has there even been confirmed cases of clone production of modern intel cpus?

I dont think ive ever seen that confirmed for the modern stuff at all.

no rubbing off the text or delid it and sell as a diffrent model does not count.
(And yes that is what powerstar/powerleader also did with their P3 or what it was called that was written alot about recently)
Ummm...the original thread about Intel fake nics started here:

No one has really tested for it afaik, so you can't say there aren't any. And if fake cpus exhibit the '99% accurate' type of performance a fake nic does, it won't be easy to discover fakes.

And that's my point behind the issue Intel has with these units--there's something not right here to get them all riled up. Hell, Intel could care less when I called them to see if a 'new in box' NIC was there's or not, and it was a flat out fake with mismatched serials and factory numbers on the packaging, all claiming to be the real thing. And this vendor had over 1100 sold. Intel didn't even care to know their name. So whatever is going on with these celerons much be bigger than that.

• Haha

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
so you can't say there aren't any.
You are saying its obviously happening and that there are those with the capability of doing it.
Surely you are basing that on some sources and proven cases?

To base it just on "can't say there aren't any." would be moronic even for your regular level of anti-china.
You cant possibly be that brainwashed.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You are saying its obviously happening and that there are those with the capability of doing it.
Surely you are basing that on some sources and proven cases?

To base it just on "can't say there aren't any." would be moronic even for your regular level of anti-china.
You cant possibly be that brainwashed.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying for the processors you mentioned, that it has not been proven that it is not happening. The capability is certainly there.

If you don't understand the boolean logic, can't help you with that. I'm only stating facts about what you stated.

At this point if you want to fight about it, let's take it outside, aka PM. I've said my peace on the item in this thread and I think you have too.

• Haha

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Ummm...the original thread about Intel fake nics started here:

No one has really tested for it afaik, so you can't say there aren't any. And if fake cpus exhibit the '99% accurate' type of performance a fake nic does, it won't be easy to discover fakes.

And that's my point behind the issue Intel has with these units--there's something not right here to get them all riled up. Hell, Intel could care less when I called them to see if a 'new in box' NIC was there's or not, and it was a flat out fake with mismatched serials and factory numbers on the packaging, all claiming to be the real thing. And this vendor had over 1100 sold. Intel didn't even care to know their name. So whatever is going on with these celerons much be bigger than that.
The NICs have genuine Intel silicon. We classify them as fake as they are trying to pass themselves off as Intel OEM cards. Anyone can buy Intel silicon and slap it on a PCB to make a NIC. If they were being sold as OEM "xyz", then they wouldn't be called fakes.

As for CPUs, no one is counterfeiting anything. Modern CPUs can be produced by all of 3 fabs (and that's including Intel) and process sizes that are old enough that others have the capability to produce have no monetary value for things like this. You know you can just buy embedded Intel CPUs from Mouser/Digikey/etc by the thousand, right? Mouser still has N3160s in stock...