ZFS Snaps and Crashplan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
So I have Crashplan running on my OI+Nappit setup for offsite backups. I also have ZFS setup for automatic snaps. Problem is I think crashplan sees these snaps as something to backup, I have not been able to confirm this other than it will get a decent chunk to backup after a snap is taken. Does anyone know what filter I can apply to crashplan to keep it from attempting to back up the snaps? Note I can not see the snaps in my crashplan backup sets.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
After some more research it appears that under each ZFS folder there is a ".zfs/" path that contains the shares and snaps. This is an odd path though since it is not visible under bash by running ls -al, however cd .zfs takes you to it. That said I wonder if crashplan is seeing this folder, if so that explains the excessive backups and I should be able to make a regex filter to exclude it. Interestingly I do not see this folder in my crashplan backups so still not sure.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
By default the following folders are excluded in Solaris like operating systems

Code:
/bin/
/boot/
/etc/
/initrd/
/lib/
/opt/
/sbin/
/usr/
/var/
/srv/
You could create a regex expression that includes
Code:
.*/.ZFS.*
in your exclusions. I am not sure if this will wipe out the previous backed up snaps.