ZFS drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
About to build a small ZFS array.

Around $200 there is WD RED 4 TB drive, Seagate NAS 4 TB drive and Seagate SSHD 4 TB drive. I will start with 3-4 drives but possible expand to 15 drives down the road. What would everyone recommend at the moment?

The ZFS server will be a 3 years old T110 with 16 GB memory, HBA will be a LSI 9207-4I4E and a 40 GB IB card for storage network. DAS is Dell MD 1000. I have 4 x Seagate 600 240 GB for cache (2 for read and 2 mirrored for write).

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How many drives are you using in the array? One thing I am not sure of is how the SSHDs work in ZFS environments.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
ZFS self healing may throw a wobbly with the NAND in between the actual Drives.

There's a heap of trickery going on with the Firmware that ZFS has no control over.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
You do realize SAS drives and LSI use PI to do the same thing. Seagate includes PI in all SAS drives ssd and spinning. PI also has features to move only failing sectors first (!!) off the bad drive. Good way to protect raid-0 volumes from non-catastrophic failure and read-only SSD catastrophic failure!

what's wrong with sas SLC for log/1st line cache, mlc for 2nd line cache, and regular 4tb SAS drives for near line storage.

A good design HP took from Itanium was 3-way RAID-1 -> 3 drives form a single raid-1 since the speed and chances of raid failure are almost NIL when you have 3 big 4tb forming one 4tb RAID-1 (then stripe that for raid-1+0).

Nothing is worst than losing a raid-set.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

For clarification, this is for my home lab, that's why I try to explorer different storage options. I get $125/drive during black Friday for the Seagate 600 SSDs, that's why I plan use them as cache for now.

I would like to go with SAS 4 TB drive but for budgeting reason I need to stay with SATA drives for now.

Looks like I better stay off from SSHD for now. What drive would everyone recommend me to start with? (I like to stay within $1,000 for the drives)

Thanks

brianmat

Dec 11, 2013
We've been using Toshiba (and Hitachi) DT01ACAX00 drives for a year now in our All-In-One NFS server. Mostly the 2TB versions in mirrors and just starting to use the 3TB drives. After a year of use (24 2TB drives) we have had exactly 0 errors appear during our weekly scrubs. I am sticking with those until I have a reason not to, and the 3TB versions are about $115 with the 2TB sitting at under $90. They also have Toshiba's version of TLER on the drives.