ZFS build questions. How to best use my current drives?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Hey folks!

Starting to gather parts to consolidate my 2 ReadyNAS devices to FreeNAS running ZFS. I have the following:
  • Drives
    • 3x 3TB Western Digital Red
    • 5x 1TB Western Digital Red
  • Other stuff:
    • Dell Perc H310 / LSI SAS 2008
    • Intel Xeon X5650
    • Supermicro X8ST3-F
    • 48GB of ECC memory
I was dead set on using ZFS but I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking to be able to have 1 drive fail and still having access to my data. I would also like to be able to expand the clusters as needed with little manual work.The reason I have an odd number of drives is so I have a cold spare handy if a drive dies.

• How can I best use all of my current drives? They don't all need to be aggregated together. So I'm fine with a cluster of 1tb drives and a cluster of 3tb drives.
  • How difficult is expansion and what is the process like?
  • Any suggestions? I'm coming from the ReadyNAS world and I'm trying to learn as I go.

Thanks for the help!
Alfa

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
If it were me to get off the ground I'd setup a raidz w/ the 3x 3Tb disks for capacity pool and a stripped mirror (IE two mirror sets of the 1 TB and stripe across vdevs) for performance tier. May want to think about some good ssd's for ZIL/potentially L2ARC cache.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
If it were me to get off the ground I'd setup a raidz w/ the 3x 3Tb disks for capacity pool and a stripped mirror (IE two mirror sets of the 1 TB and stripe across vdevs) for performance tier. May want to think about some good ssd's for ZIL/potentially L2ARC cache.

Just to be clear I would have 2 pools of storage with that setup? Do you think a cheap $100 - $150 SSD would help even with 48GB of memory? I don't want to spend very much more on this build at the moment.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
A zil would be worth it, a s3700 100gb should suffice at that pricepoint, I've seen many of those go recently for $60-100. I'd use it on the stripped mirror pool if you decide to take that route.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yep, if you can afford the 200gb model and up they get abt double that, forget exact numbers. I 'had' 4 200gb s3700s FS a couple weeks back but garnered lil interest and decided to keep those now so keep your eyes open...time to go hunting

Reactions: T_Minus

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks folks. I have a few other things allocated for my fun budget so if I hold off on the SSD for L2ARC can I slap one on later?

Also I have a 120GB Corsair Force 3 drive and a 120GB Corsair Force GT drive, can L2ARC span multiple drives?

I'm not looking to employ the use of ZIL since AFS rarely uses synchronous writes.

Last edited:

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Sure, you can add SSDs for l2arc at any time (including additional ones.) You can remove them too, if you wanted to upgrade...