Xilinx Kria Edge AI SOMs Launched with Developer Kit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
The best thing about the Xilinx Kria KV260 starter kit is that it has a very attractive price.

Until now, the cheapest board with a Xilinx UltraScale+ FPGA that I am aware of was the Ultra96 from Avnet, at $250 ($400 for extended temperature range).

The new KV260 starter kit is not only cheaper, but it has a much larger FPGA, ZU5, instead of the ZU3 used in Ultra96. It also has double memory, 4 GB instead of the 2 GB of Ultra96.

At the first glance this seems to be by far the best board for whoever wants to do development work for Xilinx FPGAs.

applepi

Jun 15, 2013
DO NOT BUY THE DEV KIT FROM XILINX. They are projecting a NOVEMBER ship date, no refunds no cancelations. These dudes are the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Not only that, you need to do Singapore export documents because they are shipping direct from factory. 10/10 would not recommend. They are also charging out the nose for the accessory cables, should have just bought that from elsewhere... So much for available NOW, liars.

Reactions: paf

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
Good to know, because I have intended to place an order.

In this case, the right way is to buy through Mouser, Avnet or Digi-Key, when the kits will appear in stock, because for now all have 0 in stock.

What is curious is that while Mouser quotes a 3-month lead time, both Avnet and Digi-Key quote only a 2-month lead time. At Mouser there are already around 500 people who have ordered the kit, hoping to receive it in 3 months.

Either a 2-month or a 3-month lead time is much better than waiting till November, so either the distributors are too optimistic or Xilinx is too pessimistic.

kingmouf

Jun 15, 2016
I tried to check for a european authorised distributor and all distributors listed in Xilinx's page for KRIA return a 404-error.... I checked with Mouser and they quote 0 stock supply and 55 week lead time....... that is one year... I guess this may simply mean that they do not a clue on when it will become available. The situation with product launches that are completely vaporware is frustrating. It is also alarming that KRIA is based on a Zynq US+ which is already several years old, it is manufactured in a not-so-bleeding-edge 16nm process and yet it seems to be really difficult to have stock. If one waits for so many months just to receive a sample....