Xeon v3/v4 cpu cooler retention

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
So i'm in the middle of a new virtualization server build, using a Supermicro X10DRI board, and as that uses narrow ILM pattern, and low cost narrow ilm coolers are somewhat scarce, i am working on repurposing some Dell Xeon coolers. 5810 heatsinks. Common, cheap, and good. Rewiring the plugs is no issue of course, but the spring and screws are completely wrong. So the dilemma is, does anyone know how much pressure the cooler needs to apply to the cpu? These joints look engineered to me, you're supposed to screw the retainer completely down, which will compress the spring a certain amount. As i'm changing it all, how much compression do the springs need? any thoughts?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The heatsink is to provide between 222-400 newtons of static compressive force per Intel's specifications.

Reactions: nexox

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
Without a load cell i'll never get that dialed in. Maybe i can measure spring force off the motherboard. Thank you.