Xeon E5-2667 V4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pholie

Nov 9, 2021
hello,
is it possible to find out whats the power consumption in the IDLE state? thanks!

in general is it a good idea to use that cpu for home hypervisor? price ~100 pounds.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The power consumption will be greatly impacted by the mainboard and addon cards you use as well as the power saving options you activate.

Whether its a good cou for a hypervisor depends on the amount of vms you want to run and if they are clock speed dependent or not. If they are than its a very good cpu to use as it basically got the highest base clock of all Xeon v4s (except 2687W), but only 8c o/c

pholie

Nov 9, 2021
@Rand__ thanks, i was thinking about 4Vm or something like that... the vms are not clock speed dependned, the mainboard i was thinking of is supermicro, just cpu + 32gb ram, no external cards, one ssd drive and thats it. The price for secondhand is 100 pounds .. dont know if its good deal. thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That does not sound like a use case for an E5 CPU at all...

Typically you would use those if either of these apply...
-you want to many processes (using their many cores and or dual cpus)
-you want lots of add on cards (using the extra pcie lanes)
-you want lots of memory (using the extended memory options with registered ram)

Your use case screams for a E3 box, typically 4 cores, 8 threads, depending on age 32 or 64gb ram max, 16 pcie lanes - way less power on idle.

O/c the 2667 will do all that too, but at higher idle power (but much more reserves and the option to use more resources at any time o/c).

100 pounds (GBP I assume) is not a bad price, but these only will get cheaper, and the CPU is only a part of the system. Look at the whole box price.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah, maybe a bit newer than v1.
If you want it cheap then a v3, else a more recent v5/6 with the option to cram a bit more memory into it if needed (Max 64g)