Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Hi all,
If you are in the market for a 1u storage server, you might want to look at these Quanta SD1Q-1ULH on ebay. They are Xeon D-1541 systems that have twelve 3.5" SAS/SATA bays; four SAS/SATA 2.5" bays; two additional SATA 2.5" bays; and an internal m.2 slot. Seller is asking $495/ea. but immediately accepted an offer for $425 with free FedEx ground shipping.

QUANTA SD1Q-1ULH 1U 12X3.5 D-1541 DUAL PSU SERVER | eBay

more info here:
QuantaGrid SD1Q-1ULH | 1U Storage Server | QCT.io

Good luck!

****NOTE****
If you are going to upgrade the BIOS of this board please take note of the following:
the latest BIOS (3A14) release notes have this gem hidden in them:

• "- Before update BIOS to 3A13 or later version, Check BMC FW is newer than 3.31 and Expander FW is newer than 1.08
    System may hang on POST if above FW version not compatiable."

Last edited:
Reactions: Alfa147x and Samir

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
I'll post some photos and follow-up once I've received the system. It seems there are two sellers from the same town in Minnesota offloading these ATM so I'm guessing someone cleared a bunch out of colo there.

Reactions: Samir

longbowch

Feb 8, 2020
Kentucky
I'm guessing somewhere between low-flying passenger plane and a Deep Purple concert.
HA! That's what I'm afraid of.... I've got 2 R710's, an R510, and a R610 that all run pretty quiet in the basement currently ... I bought that IBM DAS awhile back, and it was too loud for me..... just trying to avoid that.

Reactions: Gnodu and Samir

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Anyone have a picture of the insides? Is this just some sort of standard ATX style board which can be dropped in to a 2U-4U SuperMicro chassis, or is it so integrated that you can only use this 1U chassis?

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Anyone have a picture of the insides? Is this just some sort of standard ATX style board which can be dropped in to a 2U-4U SuperMicro chassis, or is it so integrated that you can only use this 1U chassis?
I couldn't find anything in a quick search but I will be sure to document it once the system arrives.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
A quick word of warning on these. They are 35" deep. Make sure your rack will fit them. My APC one at home definitely will not, nor will my colo. For comparison, a Supermicro 846 chassis is 26", so it's quite the difference.

It's proprietary. Rear IO is a giveaway and it uses mezzanine cards per the specifications.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Core4 and Rhino are related out of MN. Their listings usually lack pictures.
As @nthu9280 notes, these sellers don't post many pictures, and when they do its almost always stock photos. But, I've bought from both of them occasionally for the last few years and haven't had an issue yet. When I buy from Core4 a salesperson usually sends me an email after delivery to ensure I'm "satisfied". The one time I had a problem (DOA drive) they sent a replacement out the same day and gave me the option of disposing of the defective one locally (which was a lot easier than sending it back).

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Two questions:

1. Anyone know what raid card these things take with links?
2. Suggestions on 16gb compat dimms?