XCP-ng installation and setup hell

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Yup ,was a bug.
But I gave up on not being able to get the damn thing to connect to the internet. I guess it just doesn't behave like a normal system. Stupid thing has two NICs, one of them being plugged into a router that has DHCP server running, and one being LAN with the management configured on it. It seems to simply ignore the first one. I don't have time and nerves to deal with this Linux nonsense.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Hang on a moment, Xen Orchestra should not require downloading anything in dom0. XO is a web app that you deploy on a dedicated management node (or VM in your case) and point at the host on LAN. It's not that much better than XenCenter, and in any case you'll wind up on the command line sooner or later if you're building something with a ton of passthrough.

To do what you're doing easily you need 3 NICs, one for the host's management interface, one for pfSense LAN, and one for pfSense WAN. Put the host on a static IP, connect to it with XenCenter from a different machine, create a pfSense VM with virtual interfaces on the LAN and WAN NICs, then plug the LAN and management NICs into your switch. pfSense should start routing and the host should be able to access the outside world. It's been a while since I've built something like this but you may be able to get away with 2x NIC (combining LAN and management).

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
The single host setup/install that proxmox provides, is alot more user-friendly for a novice homelabber then XCP-NG

There are no issues running a virtualised pfSense under proxmox, with either passthrough or virtual nics (just requires a few checked boxes in pf)

Imo the fuctions that XCP-NG provides are great for scale-out but at home with just a single host or two proxmox is so the way to go.

just my 2 cents..

Reactions: Pakna and ms264556

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I gave up and ordered a miniPC to install pfSense onto after all, so most of the pain of trying to get this to work should go away.
I had the same solution, for tinkering and learning having a dedicated pfsense is so very nice.

But once you get under the hood of you VM host, you might end up with a virtual pfsense anyway :)
that is what happend here, now i keep the minipc as a spare, so if have to do major work on the VM host, i can boot up the minipc to serve inet to the rest of house.

But the virtual pfsense runs my network 99.9% of the time

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I gave up and ordered a miniPC to install pfSense onto after all, so most of the pain of trying to get this to work should go away.
I have no problem installing fairly oddball things on largish VM servers, but for the basic features you need to have a functional network (firewall/router between WAN and LAN, DNS, DHCP, WiFi controller, etc.), I always use mini PCs of some sort, and the services run on "bare metal". You can run them much longer on a UPS, and they boot up and are available much faster than hosting the services in a VM.

Reactions: fohdeesha