X9DRi-LN4F+ & dual E5-2640's: powering GPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
I'm running a X9DRi-LN4F+ board with dual E5-2640's in an SC846 chassis. As is well documented, the PDB's in these cases don't have dedicated PCIe power. However, I've seen some information floating around:
1. You can create a PCIe power from one EPS 8 pin.
2. A single EPS 8pin is equivalent to 2x EPS 4pin.
3. If your CPU is under 130W load, you can power it with a single EPS 4 pin

My motherboard has EPS 8pin sockets (I'm assuming it accepts much power hungrier CPUs), but for my case would it be safe to use a single 8pin (split) to power both CPUs and adapt the other 8pin to be used for a GPU? GPU's currently being considered are Nvidia 1650/1660/1650 super. Thanks!

Update: Forgot to add, I'm running this with a single 920 SQ power supply with 12 HDDs and 2 SSDs + 1 HBA for the SAS2 backplane

Last edited:

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
if you have 4pin molex connectors free, you can use those with 4pin molex -->> pci-e adapters.

i am running 2 rigs for F@H with many gpu's connected this way (2* 4pin molex -> pci-e).

just an idea

Dual Molex 4-Pin Male To 8-Pin Male Cable - Mining Wholesale

Dual Molex 4-Pin Male To Dual 8-Pin (6+2) Male Cable - Mining Wholesale

p.s. don't use sata -> pci-e. molex is more better
Thanks ari2asem - I contemplated going the molex route, except I've heard stories of melting/things catching fire.

Could be the best option is to go P2000 or P400

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Thanks ari2asem - I contemplated going the molex route, except I've heard stories of melting/things catching fire.

Could be the best option is to go P2000 or P400
the catching fire is not due to the molex side... it's when people use molex->SATA power adapters.. the SATA power side tends to short to ground and then burn up. molex to 8 or 6 pin power has not been a fire hazard as far as I know...

Reactions: nikalai

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
the catching fire is not due to the molex side... it's when people use molex->SATA power adapters.. the SATA power side tends to short to ground and then burn up. molex to 8 or 6 pin power has not been a fire hazard as far as I know...
you are correct. and this is the reason why i said: "" p.s. dont use sata-> pci-e"".

i rigth now have 3* rtx 2080 Ti cards running F@H, by powered this way

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Thanks all - that makes sense. I went rummaging through my cable bin and found a number of molex to pcie (unfortunately 6 pin). Ordered an 8 pin variant to go with my 1660S.