X9DRD-LF Boot problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peter847

Nov 1, 2017
I have a Supermicro X9DRD-LF motherboard with a Plextor PCIe SSD and two 500GB Western Digital drives configured as RAID 1. I am running Win10 Professional. All was OK until a month or so ago when a soft reset would hang and only a hard reset worked. I decided to reinstall Windows using the UEFI boot. Without the 2 x 500GB drives installed everything works fine but as soon as they are installed it will not boot. I think it hangs when it enters the Windows Boot Manager. Plugging in the drives after booting into Windows works fine. I think that whatever I do the motherboard tries (and fails) to boot from the hard drives if they are there

I've wiped the drives and repartitioned them as both MBR and GPT, changed the BIOS setting etc but it just will not boot with the drives connected. Any thoughts on what I should try next?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What excatly do you mean with "but as soon as they are installed"?
Are the drives not connected when you install windows?

The raid comes from the chipset, did you install/add the intel drivers?

Peter847

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the reply. The two disks in the RAID drive are in hot swappable caddies and contained important data, I removed them during the Windows installation process to ensure I did not delete the data. Without those disks (in either RAID or AHCI mode) installed everything works, I can push the drives back in once Windows is up and running, the RAID drive is recognized but then the machine will not reboot, it just hangs.

I have to admit I am not that familiar with the UEFI boot process, I've just returned to building PC's after a few years absence. I looks like Windows installs a Windows Boot Manager in the UEFI shell that overrides the BIOS boot options and that boot manager cannot cope with the RAID drive. I am going to see if I can do a "BIOS install" rather than UEFI.

Peter847

Nov 1, 2017
Update: Here is what I see now:
  • RAID disk only installed, Windows boots off this disk and all is OK. Install the PCIe SSD and the boot fails.
  • PCIe SSD only installed, Windows boots off this disk and all is OK. Install the RAID disk and the boot fails.
Any thoughts on how I get both disks working?