X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD - can power on from IPMI but not power button

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
I just received this mobo and am having an issue when trying to update the BIOS. The ebay listing says the board needs a BIOS update in order to use V2 CPU's.The board is Rev 1.02. I am having two issues:

1. Issue 1 is that I am not having success resetting the non-default IPMI password
2. Issue 2 is that the mobo is not powering on

Steps taken so far:
On my table (outside of the case) I replaced the dead CMOS battery, I installed one V1 CPU (E5-2603) with a fanless heatsink in CPU1 and 64GB RAM (16x4) . I connected a Seasonic 650W PSU (the 24 pin and both 8 pin connectors) and an ethernet cable to the IPMI port. I have one fan connected to a fan header. I tried powering on the mobo by bridging the power pins but nothing shows on the monitor connected to the VGA port (the VGA jumper is set to "on") and the fan doesn't spin up. The power led is not lit.

At this point the BMC LED is blinking green and no other LED's are lit (other than the IPMI LAN LED's which show a green link LED and a blinking amber activity LED). The power LED is not lit.

I discovered that the IPMI IP had been statically set to an IP on a different subnet (10.0.132.99) than my LAN (192.168.1.x). I connected my laptop with a statically set ip on the same subnet as the IPMI and am able to bring up the login screen but the password has been changed from default.

I downloaded ipmicfg from Supermicro and have tried resetting the password using a laptop connected to the IPMI via ethernet. I don't know if this is even possible (?). I couldn't get this to work but I suspect that it isn't possible.

I then tried installing the board in a Corsair 800D case and connected the front panel power to the motherboard as well as a PC Power and Cooling 1200 watt PSU (again, 24 pin and both 8 pin cpu). The BMC LED is again blinking green. Pushing the power button does not spin up the fan or cause any LED's to be lit and the monitor remains blank.

I tried to disable ipmi to see if the mobo would then boot a liveUSB by moving the BMC jumper to pins 2-3 but the system still isn't powering on (ie, monitor attached to VGA port is blank, fan doesn't spin up).

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I would try resetting the IPMI with a DOS bootdisk, but the mobo isn't powering on. Any ideas how to proceed from here?

SM2.jpg SM1.jpg

Last edited:

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
An update. I have two of these boards and on the 2nd board I ran into the same problem of not being able to power on. The difference is that I was able to get into the IPMI as it had the default password. Once I was in the IPMI I was able to use the "power on" system function and that turned the system on.

Why can I power on the system from within IPMI but not by pressing the power button??

So, on this 2nd board I think I am good to go from here on will update IPMI and BIOS. I am concerned that even after I do I won't be able to power the board on with the power button. I'm still not sure what to do on that first mobo...

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Flip the POWER SW connector around.

Edit: And make sure you're using compatible RAM. Do you hear any beeps?

Edit2: It looks like you're connecting the PWR BTN wrong. According to the manual, the PWR BTN pins are the furthest two (when looking from the front of the board, i.e. furthest from the two blank pins).

Last edited:

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
Flip the POWER SW connector around.

Edit: And make sure you're using compatible RAM. Do you hear any beeps?

Edit2: It looks like you're connecting the PWR BTN wrong. According to the manual, the PWR BTN pins are the furthest two (when looking from the front of the board, i.e. furthest from the two blank pins).
Thanks for the reply. I am currently updating BIOS on board #2 and will try the above on board #1 when it is done. However, I'm pretty sure that I tried the pins on both ends of that row including flipping the connector but I will try again just to make sure. The ram is compatible as it's the same ram that is currently being used in system #2 that is updating the BIOS. I'll report back when I try the above.

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
I tried the power connector on both ends of that row, including flipping it around as well as shorting with a paperclip on both ends. Unfortunately that didn't work (including on board #2 which now has updated firmware/bios). Is there something about Supermicro front panel connectors that is different than non-SM cases have?

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
I'm an idiot. When I connected the power connector I tried it both the bottom and top of that row, but when I originally tried the connector at the top I, in my sleep deprived state, went WAY to the top, which is the USB connector. Doh. I will say though that the way Supermicro shows this in the manual makes no sense. When they outline the FP connector in green and then show the detailed view below that, they rotated the detailed view 180 degrees! Why?? Anyways, thanks for the help and I'm glad I got it sorted and was able to update the IPMI and Bios. Turns out the board has a bad DIMMA1 slot (even after re-seating the CPU and trying 3 different CPU's) so I need to RMA it.
stupid.jpg

Reactions: Agremlin