X8DTU-F Won't Boot, Alternatives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
Hi there,

I've been slowly putting together my first ESXi / FreeNAS build with a 847 chassis and a X8DTU-F motherboard. The motherboard and included CPU (L5520) came free with the chassis, and I've been working with them over two months. I also have a pair of X5675s that I plan to use once everything is set up properly.

Unfortunately, while running some badblocks tests on my HDDs via an Ubuntu live USB stick (thanks, @BLinux ), the system completely froze. The HDD indicator lights changed to a solid blue, indicating the system was no longer running the tests, and the Ubuntu lock screen was, well, locked. So I reset the system and the motherboard has been unable to boot to BIOS ever since.

Basic Specs
-X8DTU-F
-SC847E-R1400UB chassis ("4U chassis - supports for maximum motherboard sizes: 13.68" x 13", E-ATX, ATX, and UIO motherboards")
-Dual X5675s (L5520 used for testing)
-DDR3 RAM (plenty of 4 GB sticks)
-AOC-USAS2-L8A-IS018 SAS HBA
-RSC-R2UU-UA3E8+ riser card
-SAS2 backplane for back, SAS backplane on front (only using back backplane for now).

Clear issues:
-Power is OK. X8DTU-F powers on.
-Heartbeat LED is blinking on / off as per usual.
-Will not boot to BIOS.
-No power LED indicator on riser card or attached SAS card (used to have that going on before the system froze).
-IPMI not working (can log onto web console, indicating that the IP address is still valid, but can not access power controls or the virtualization console). IPMI LEDs flash as normal.
-USB stick usually has a LED that comes on that indicates it is on and working- the LED does not light up now.
-Connected a monitor via VGA. No signal.
-Removed all CPUs, RAM, riser cards and tried them one by one, no luck.
-Cleared CMOS repeatedly, tested battery. Still operational.

Contacted SuperMicro about RMA possibility and they say the motherboard is out of warranty (uh, yeah) and no repair options are available through them. So hoping you guys have some ideas I can try so I can resurrect this thing, as there seem to be very limited options for this chassis (replacement motherboard must accept X5675s, be L-shaped in order to accept this SAS HBA, and be able to fit into this chassis).

Suggestions? Wild ideas? I'm open to anything! Thanks for reading :)

@aftereffectsmagic

Reactions: Tha_14

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
have you tried removing the CPUs and just running single socket? And try single socket on socket 1 or 2 alone? I would also inspect the pins in the LGA1366 sockets, especially look for pins that might look like they are a little "low"... under load, as the system gets hot, pins that are slightly "low" might lose contact entirely. By trying a single socket, it will help you isolate which socket might be having the issue, then examine that one closer.

have you tried going back to the L5520 CPU?

BTW, were you using my 'bht' script to test your HDDs? how did that go? (before system froze up)

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
Hey there, @BLinux !! ;)

I've been running the system using only the L5520 single-socket on Socket 1. Just put the L5520 on Socket 2, no luck. Also put one of the X5675s on Socket 1 and 2 earlier just to make sure it wasn't the L5520. I "inspected" the pins (if by "inspect" you mean look closely at the pins) and they all look good but I'm not confident whether I can determine if some are low or high. In fact, to my untrained eye, the socket pins look pretty uniform. There are no obvious bent pins or blemishes.

Another thing that comes to mind here is that I've left how it was connected in the chassis largely as is, including the power pins- there's a 4+4 connected, then a 24-pin connector plugged into the 20-pin power header. I was concerned about the 4 pins not being connected to the power header, and looked up this exact issue on the forum but it seems to be pretty standard? The last four pins are not connected to the power header (the way the last owner set it up). Could this have fried the board?

Alsoooo... your script looks like EXACTLY what I need! I found your original post with the GitHub link (https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ng-script-for-linux-on-sth.21511/#post-200137 for anyone interested). I had set up a spreadsheet to track my individual S.M.A.R.T. and badblocks tests, and was just running each one manually. When I get the X8DTU-F back up and running (fingers crossed) I'm switching over to your script- willing guinea pig *raises hand* right here :)

Anything else I can check re: the X8DTU-F?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
My other thought would have been shorting the MB to the Chassis. But the fact that it worked for last couple of months I think rules that out. One other option you could try is to disable IPMI and/or onboard VGA via jumpers. You may have to use a cheap PCIe X1 VGA card like FireMV 2250. I had one X9 board would just sit on initializing IPMI. The only way I could get the board to boot was by disabling IPMI.

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
Hey, @nthu9280 !

I've been powering on the motherboard by shorting the power pins on the motherboard itself, as I have not yet installed a replacement left ear handle (with the power circuit board and panel). Doubt that makes any difference? Is that what you mean by shorting the MB to the chassis?

Looks like I have a limited number of jumpers, according to the X8DTU-F manual:

JBT1
Clear CMOS

JI2/C1/JI2/C2
SMB to PCI-E Slots

JPG1
VGA Enable

JPL1
(G-bit) LAN1/LAN2 Enable

JWD1
Watch Dog

Seems like I can't disable IPMI as there is no dedicated jumper as far as I can see. Are there any other things I can try in order to disable IPMI?

I actually have an ancient GeForce 7900GT PCIe card I picked up for a buck for testing a few months ago. It's a DVI card, but it comes with DVI-VGA adapters. I did attach it to a riser card (RSC-R2UU-3E8G, different from the riser cards you sent over) but I didn't disable the VGA jumper, so I assume that is why it didn't work. Either that or the riser card doesn't accept GPUs? On the SuperMicro spec sheet here they indicate that the riser card I am using does not have GPU support. Just disabled the VGA jumper and tried again with the GPU inserted into the riser card, and the GPU powers on (fan comes on) but still no change in system behavior. Can insert the GPU directly onto the motherboard but that requires me taking off the GPU bracket as it won't fit otherwise. Should I do that?

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
Okay! Status update:

GPU Test
-Removed bracket from GPU
-Inserted GPU directly into PCIe x16 slot then realized the plastic tab to the right of the GPU's connector pins would not fit into the adjacent slot (x8 slot) on the motherboard, so all of the GPU's pins won't fully connect
-GPU powers on, but I can't be sure it works properly as not all of the pins are snugly inserted into the x16 slot, so scratching this test

Short Test
-Removed motherboard from chassis, checked to confirm whether or not dust was the culprit (looks like it's not)
-Tested with existing power supply, no go
-Will test with my desktop PSU to see if it's a power supply issue

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
Tested with my desktop PSU. Same behavior- powers on, but no video signal on the board with or without graphics card. Time to call it?

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
I've tried flashing the BIOS via USB, as the X8 IPMI firmware is too old to have a BIOS flash via IPMI option. I thought about getting an evaluation license but SuperMicro support confirmed that a license would not work for the X8 firmware, as that option is only available on the X9 / X10 / X11 platforms. That having been said, seems like the BIOS chip needs to be repaired or replaced as far as I can see. The IPMI and BMC components are working fine, but the BIOS seems to have been borked.

I'm likely going to have to replace this motherboard and will hang onto it until I learn how to solder (well) and feel reasonably confident that I can desolder the existing BIOS chip and replace it with a seemingly legit BIOS chip off eBay.

Anyone have any suggestions on motherboard replacement? I have a rear window for this chassis that will allow for X9 and X10 motherboard placement, but I want to keep the cost of replacement low since I'm a newbie and am still learning about what will best suit my needs. Looks like I have to keep it to a rough 12" x 13" size since space in this chassis is limited.

Votes for replacing this puppy with another X9DTU-F?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Couple of things if you want to go to X9
- definite saving in idle power since this will be a always on.
- I'm not sure U(io) and W(io) use the same rear window. Also need to verify Riser card compatibility. If they are, look for X9DRW. I saw eBay seller IT Recycle Now / Unix surplus has a version with 2x Sfp+ 10gbe on board. Reputed seller and the accept offers. Local to CA.
- I don't have 847, but I think many of the 213/216/825/826 chassis parts are compatible. So if you want to change to standard low profile rear window it's pretty easy. That's an option. eBay prices are ridiculously high. Write to SMC's RMA department and order from them. Look to combine multiple items to save on shipping costs. Once you both windows, it's simple to reconfigure if the need arises.
You will need to sell your x5675 CPUs and get E5-2600V1/V2. Some SM board revisions are not compatible with V2 CPUs confirm with the seller. Also need to get compatible 2u heat sinks (Narrow/Square) depending on the board.

- if you want to stay with X8 for now, I think similar boards can easily be found for $50 - 60 range due to the custom form factor.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Finding x9 mb to fit your chassis may be an issue. I did a quick eBay search and found only one that looks like it might fit for close to 200$

Couple of x8 ranging between 45$ and 90$

Unless you can use square boards.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Suggestions? Wild ideas? I'm open to anything!
Do you happen to have a port 80 debug card? They're handy to have, as they can display various BIOS fault codes even if the system doesn't get far enough into POST to be able to display anything on the VGA. There are a bunch of KQCPET6 V6 boards on eBay in the $20-something price range. The actual manufacturer's web page is here for all it's worth (not much). Probably not worth buying one just for this unless you really want to know what's going on in there.

Reactions: T_Minus

aftereffectsmagic

May 1, 2018
Okay, folks!

@nthu9280 - I looked at the Supermicro X9DRW-iTPF+ and it's not going to fit into my chassis although I love the idea of SFP + 10gbe. According to the Supermicro specs, it's 12.8" x 16.5". My chassis looks to only accept small variations of 12" x 13" - it will do square boards, but that means re-configuring my riser card and SAS card config.

As for the rear window- that's what I've already done. I sourced the second rear window along with a couple of other parts from SMC. The exact part number for the secondary rear window I have is MCP-240-82506-0N. That rear window has 7 low-profile upright expansion slots. My attempt at somewhat futureproofing my setup was the reason I got that window, as my current rear window in this chassis does not have a removable I/O shield, has 3 horizontal low-profile slots and 4 regular-size horizontal expansion slots, so the only way I can reuse this rear window is if the ports of whatever motherboard I get match up with X8DTU-F's ports exactly. I figured that when X9 or X10 motherboards come down in price the rear window part might be hard to source so I ordered with that in mind.

Will have to replace CPUs, CPU fans, riser card, SAS card and replace existing rear window with the 82506 one I have if I change to a square motherboard, I believe- correct me if I'm wrong. The X8DTU-F is L-configured board which allows me to pop my AOC-USAS2-L8A-IS018 SAS HBA into there easily.

@Terry Kennedy - I do not have a Port 80 debug card. I think that seems like a nifty thing to have, and I've looked up eBay sources for that, and gotten some hits that seem to be cheaper than 20 bucks- are they any good? For reference, here's a link to the eBay page for diagnostic cards- how do I determine what's legit and what's not? :) I think that this is an interesting side experiment and I'd love to resurrect this motherboard but in the meanwhile will probably just replace it.

@vl1969 - which motherboard did you find that will fit this chassis? If it's $200 now I can keep an eye on it if anything happens with my replacement motherboard :)

Thanks for being super helpful!!!

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
@Terry Kennedy - I do not have a Port 80 debug card. I think that seems like a nifty thing to have, and I've looked up eBay sources for that, and gotten some hits that seem to be cheaper than 20 bucks- are they any good? For reference, here's a link to the eBay page for diagnostic cards- how do I determine what's legit and what's not? :) I think that this is an interesting side experiment and I'd love to resurrect this motherboard but in the meanwhile will probably just replace it.
You want one that does full-size (not mini) PCIe. Most of those also support legacy PCI. The various LPC options are probably only useful if you're working on systems with no open expansion slots (either not in the design at all or used for a necessary-to-run add-in card).

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Okay, folks!

@nthu9280 - I looked at the Supermicro X9DRW-iTPF+ and it's not going to fit into my chassis although I love the idea of SFP + 10gbe. According to the Supermicro specs, it's 12.8" x 16.5". My chassis looks to only accept small variations of 12" x 13" - it will do square boards, but that means re-configuring my riser card and SAS card config.

As for the rear window- that's what I've already done. I sourced the second rear window along with a couple of other parts from SMC. The exact part number for the secondary rear window I have is MCP-240-82506-0N. That rear window has 7 low-profile upright expansion slots. My attempt at somewhat futureproofing my setup was the reason I got that window, as my current rear window in this chassis does not have a removable I/O shield, has 3 horizontal low-profile slots and 4 regular-size horizontal expansion slots, so the only way I can reuse this rear window is if the ports of whatever motherboard I get match up with X8DTU-F's ports exactly. I figured that when X9 or X10 motherboards come down in price the rear window part might be hard to source so I ordered with that in mind.

Will have to replace CPUs, CPU fans, riser card, SAS card and replace existing rear window with the 82506 one I have if I change to a square motherboard, I believe- correct me if I'm wrong. The X8DTU-F is L-configured board which allows me to pop my AOC-USAS2-L8A-IS018 SAS HBA into there easily.

@vl1969 - which motherboard did you find that will fit this chassis? If it's $200 now I can keep an eye on it if anything happens with my replacement motherboard :)

Thanks for being super helpful!!!
I said it looks like it might fit.

but here some that might really fit.

this one is like $145
SuperMicro X9DRW-IF - LGA2011-socket R- Server MB w/ RSC-R2UW-4E8 & HEATSINKS 6720420937796 | eBay

this one has no dimmencions but her eit is anyway $228 Supermicro X9DRW-iF Server System Motherboard 2x LGA2011 Socket R 16x DDR3 6720420937796 | eBay

no dimmencions no this one either $170 super micro X9DRW-6F LGA 2011 16 MEMORY SLOTS | eBay

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX

My bad - I have a X9DRW-iF in 216 chassis and assumed X9DRW-iTPF+ is also of the same size and didn't read the specs.

If you stay with another X8 board, you may not need to change the heat sinks when you go from U/W to LP. Caveat - square vs narrow ILM. If your heat sinks came with both brackets, you are good to go.
Like you said above, advantage of U/W format is the ability to use FH expansion cards and UIO/WIO cards. LP constrains the card choices, especially SAS cards with upward facing ports.