X8DTL-iF BIOS or IPMI updates? Yay or nay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sinisterDei

Mar 25, 2018
Houston, TX
So, I've got an X8DTL-iF that I picked up on eBay a while back, running the 'server' at my house.

I didn't touch its BIOS or IPMI firmware when I got it; I just slapped in my 5680 CPUs and got to it.

CPU-Z says I'm running version 2.0c of the BIOS, where the current version on the website is 2.1b, and the IPMI firmware is listed as 2.23 where their website has 3.13 available.

I'm always a bit skittish about doing any kind of firmware update, having had a system die during an update years and years ago, and the system is working fine, so I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of any actual *benefit* from performing the update that might be worth the minor risk. As mentioned, the system is running just fine as it is, and the only issue I have is having to keep a separate fan pointed at the stupid Tylersburg chipset heatsink or all the PWM fans spin up to full wind-tunnel speeds, but I understand that's a common issue with this board.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Good thing about this board is it supports ipmi :D
Had a x10 sdv board where bios update went wrong, but thanks to the ipmi and a cheap oob license I could flash the new bios from ipmi and get the board working again.

I think the ipmi 3.x versions introduced the ikvm feature (kvm in your browser), but I'm not sure if this is true for the x8 generation.

In your case a bios update probably won't change a lot: you are already on the second major version (v2.0 added support for the 56xx cpus), "major" bugs were fixed in the 1.x bios.