X470d4u Debian shutdown doesn't poweroff/turn off

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
Hi,

I have a new system:

X470d4u
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD 2666 MT/s 32GB
PSU be quiet! System Power 9 400W
BIOS Version 3.5
BMC Version 1.90.00
only power cable and one Ethernet Cable within LAN1 Port - no VGA cable or USB devices plugged in

The challenge is, that debian testing (bullseye) with Kernel 5.10.0-2 running, the system doesn't poweroff after shutdown.
I have to switch off the system manually.

Has anyone an idea how to solve that?

Many thanks in advance
Axel

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Hmm, my system spec is next to identical to yours although I'm using debian stable (albeit with the backports kernel); I don't think I've seen this behaviour myself but I can't remember the last time I did a poweroff rather than a reboot.

Does anything remain on the console when you power down? Do reboots works as expected or do you need to do a hard reset there too?

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
Because I am setting up the new server and have to migrate the old one step-by-step - I'm using the time to find a stable base. 1st I tried stable/buster - had several problems with the 4.19 kernel (and poweroff after shutdown doesn't work) - then tried the backport kernel (less kernel hw issues, but no power-off)

Reboot is working with backport and testing kernel - In the future I won't need the poweroff, but it seems, that there is maybe an open issue with the hardware/software compliance and that's something I don't want to find out after setting up everything ...

Last entry in syslog is "stopping LVM ..."

console last output is "failed to finalize dm devices, ignoring"

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
Without using LVM the system powers off ... seems to be a problem of LVM in that combination with the hardware

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm using LVM myself (along with mdraid and LUKS) and have had the occasional problems with debian not closing the drives properly, resulting in long timeouts when preparing to reboot - perhaps this is related? However, the screen would normally log "waiting to close volume XYZ" or something similar when it was stuck on that particular problem.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
What are your ACPI bios settings, guys or what is 'shutdown -H -P +0' doing for you?

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
RTC Alarm Power On = Disabled
PCIE Devices Power On = Disabled
Global C-State Control = Disabled
ACPI _CSTR C1 Declaration = Auto

poweroff or 'shutdown -H -P +0' = works system powers off

halt = shutsdown everything, but doesn't power off and I couldn't find a hint in the logs