X11SSH-F error on reboot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kelon

Dec 28, 2015
I built a home server based on the Supermicro X11SSH-F back in early May of this year. The board is populated with 2 16GB sticks of Samsung RAM (MEM-DR416L-SL01-EU21, per Supermicro's approved list). I haven't had any issues at all with the system build until yesterday, when the system hung on reboot after an OS update, after failing to detect any memory physically installed in the system. RAM is installed in DIMMA2/DIMMB2, as recommended in the manual.

I powered down, waited a moment and turned it back on, and it booted fine with all RAM detected. Failure to detect RAM was reflected in the event log (BIOS POST Progress #0x00; BIOS POST Progress Error-No system memory is physically installed in the system. - Assertion), but no other errors listed. No issues since then, but I'm not exactly instilled with confidence. Are these boards really that picky with RAM, that a problem like this could spontaneously occur and then resolve with a reboot, or should I be concerned that the board is in the early stages of flaking out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yarik Dot

Karln83

May 25, 2016
UK
Hi Kelon,

Glad I stumbled across this post as I had a very similar issue with my Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F motherboard about 6 weeks ago. I'm using Samsung RAM (M391A2K43BB1-CPB) and I have 2 x 16GB sticks.

I noticed I had lost connection to my ESXi host and found the machine with Purple screen of death. After a reboot the server did not boot and beeped 6 times? to indicate no RAM present. After another reboot the machine booted. I checked the logs and found the exact same error message that you had. So I am not sure if the RAM is the issue or the board. The machine has been up and running for 50 days since that error, but it still plays on my mind that this could happen again at any time.

If it happens again, I will be contacting Supermicro. Did you contact them at all?

Kelon

Dec 28, 2015
Looks like there is a common thread in that we both have the same RAM configuration. I'm glad to hear that your system has been running fine for so long after presenting the error, but I can definitely empathize with the vague paranoia that it could happen again, or worse, start happening more often.

I did contact Supermicro via email, but it was in the latter part of last week and I haven't yet received a response. I will follow up with any info. when I hear back.

Kelon

Dec 28, 2015
Just following up with the response I received from Supermicro. I emailed tech support and described the issue I had; someone replied, asking if I had tried rebooting from the OS to see if the problem occurs again, to which I replied saying it hadn't after rebooting the following day. The response was: "Great. Case closed."

Hopefully that does accurately sum things up, but I would have preferred a slightly more technical response.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Sorry but this is common. We have several Supermicro systems at work that have odd issues after OS updates. NICs not coming online. Always fixed after another reboot. Never do unattended OS updates with Supermicro systems.

Pretty sure you're just gone get a "Works as intended" from Supermicro on the matter.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
We have the same problem with very similar setup. This is the only server, which doesn't come up after regular reboot. We have to turn it down and power it up again. Have you solved the issue?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I used to have a slightly different issue on a X10SRA-F. From a cold start It would go thru the post but gave 5 beeps and then complain no boot device. I was only using onboard vga. 3 finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-del) would correct the issue.
I figured would give bios flash a try. That seems to have resolved the no boot device & 5 beeps on cold boot.

Something different I noticed that I don't remember seeing - 2nd pass for ME update on other SM X8 / X9 boards. BIOS update basically ran twice. First updated the bios, and the batch file updated the Autoexec.bat rebooted and did a 2nd pass for ME update.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Karln83

May 25, 2016
UK
@Yarick dot I've not had any issues since I last posted here. Since my last reboot (software upgrade) my server has been running for 156 days.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mazaru

Oct 16, 2017
I had the same issue with the X11SSL-nF board and the 2x16GB Crucial that were sometimes not detected during the boot.
I was still managing to get it booting after few resets and there was no stability problems once it was up.

I did a firmware upgrade from 00.53 to 01.39 and it doesn't seems to happens anymore.
I'm still running an old bios version -> 1.0
I will change that later if needed.