X11DPG-QT Memory Config & Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
OK, I got one of these coming in for a server upgrade. It has a total of 16 DIMM slots that I was populating with the 32GB sticks. After looking at the manual, I noticed in the memory config section that supports and recommends up to 12 DIMMs as using 14 or 16 DIMMs results in the unbalanced config and performance drop. Really????!?! Why would you put 16 slots, but only recommend 12? How bad is the performance drop if you populate with 16 DIMMs?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
LGA 3647 has 6 channel memory, so, you want multiples of 12 (with 2 CPUs) for optimal performance. This isn't a Supemicro thing. Normally the remaining slots are used for Optane DIMMs. Some setups need more memory over higher performance as well.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the memory controller is a hexachannel.
the add.black slots are just secondary slots of channel A and D. use them for DC pers.memory(AD mode) or if you need the more memory.
the perf. loss depends on your application. the synthetic benchmarks can't tell you.

Reactions: Aluminat

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How bad is the performance drop if you populate with 16 DIMMs?
should drop from 6 channel to 2 channel. its hard to measure.
i have tested 6 vs 5 channel (unbalanced) in AIDA64 and got 60 vs 50 points in relative.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
Thanks for the replies everyone, that makes sense now.

LGA 3647 has 6 channel memory, so, you want multiples of 12 (with 2 CPUs) for optimal performance. This isn't a Supemicro thing. Normally the remaining slots are used for Optane DIMMs. Some setups need more memory over higher performance as well.
Hmmm..... I didnt think of that as I dont have much experience with Optnes. At least from my quick reading here, If you add some in the last/outer four slots and set those slot to be "App Direct", then they should should up as a SSD to the os? I assume if you mix the speed of the Optanes and DIMMs, which ever has the slower speed will be what everything runs as? Or do they all need to have the same speed?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hmmm..... I didnt think of that as I dont have much experience with Optnes
you must not use optane.
I assume if you mix the speed of the Optanes and DIMMs, which ever has the slower speed will be what everything runs as?
correct. in AD mode the two black slots are used separated from the other 6 slots. this requires BIOS/UEFI support.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's a more complex setup. You need a Cascade Lake generation CPU to support it anyway (Skylake won't work).