X11-SAE-F: BIOS Update missing via IPMI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

leezer3

Jan 16, 2022
Just acquired a new (to me anyway) X11-SAE-F to upgrade my server.
This currently has an i7 7700k in it, which is what came with the board.

First thing I'm trying to do is to sort the elderly IPMI version / BIOS, which I'm attempting to get to the latest.
The IPMI upgrade went smoothly enough, and I've activated the IPMI licence key successfully, but the BIOS update tab is totally missing from IPMI.

Only 'interesting' thing I note is the following under the Miscellaneous tab:
  • Activate License : Input license key to enable advanced features such as BIOS update and RAID management.
  • POST Snooping : Query the POST snooping code.
  • SMC RAKP : SMC RAKP enable/disable
  • undefined : undefined
  • UID Control:Set UID On/Off
The SuperMicro site suggests a new browser session or rebooting the IPMI device to get rid of undefineds, which I've already tried.

Anyone have any interesting thoughts before I just flash from DOS and ignore?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
and I've activated the IPMI licence key successfully, but the BIOS update tab is totally missing from IPMI.
from BIOS update you are prompted to activate licence: how have you entered OOB licence with no BIOS update entry ?

leezer3

Jan 16, 2022
Nope, no dice.
Hadn't tried AC off, but no difference.

Licence was activated from the Activate Licence section on the Miscellaneous page.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
if older FW was an it, there is sometimes a sequence you have to follow. not all BMC FW is compatible with any BIOS rev.
you may have indeed to use the SM flash method.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

I know this will not help, but OOB Bios update is not available for this motherboard.

Supermicro Out of Band (OOB) is a must have license key for your Supermicro motherboard/server. The Supermicro Out of Band (OOB) makes life easier by being able to control your BIOS and BMC/IPMI on your X10 and X11 generation motherboard remotely. User can easily update BIOS and BMC/IPMI settings from a human-readable text file, and use this utility to update the target machine’s system BIOS and BMC/IPMI configuration.

With the Out of Band license key enabled (remote access), maintaining your system is so much more convenient now as users can generate event logs, TPM provisioning, mount/Unmounts ISO images, remote screenshot capture, remote keyboard operations, syslog and so much more.

The following motherboards will not be able to flash BIOS using OOB functionality:

X11SAE-F, X11SAT-F, X11SCA-F, X11SRA-F, X11SRA-RF, X11SRM-F, X11SRM-VF

From

https://serverfactory.co.uk/sft-oob-lic.html

It looks like only the old-school Dos method will work.

Good luck.

RedX1