X10SRL-F dead? help please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
Hi any help would be appreciated.

I was trying out a cheap nvme card in pci slot 1 and when I powered on the system all fans go to 100%, power LED on mobo is on but no flashing green BMC light. The BMC ethernet cable is flashing on the switch. I get no video output (although the video hasn't worked in awhile) and no keyboard numlock light. Things I've tried:

removed all 3 LSI9211-8i cards
removed the intel X540 10g card
removed the ram
removed the battery and re-install
reset cmos with a screwdriver
tried a different power supply

Still no video and fans stay at 100% and BMC is timing out (cant ping the IP address)

Any ideas or is this mobo dead?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I'd pull it out of the case and try to start it away from any metal touching the it. Like sitting on some cardboard :p

Sometimes it's hard to tell that you have a standoff in the wrong spot, or just shorting it out somewhere

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
I'd pull it out of the case and try to start it away from any metal touching the it. Like sitting on some cardboard :p

Sometimes it's hard to tell that you have a standoff in the wrong spot, or just shorting it out somewhere
yes, tried that too.

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
you had completely removed the AC plug right ? no BMC standby power.
I do not recall at this point. I use a pc type power supply and I'm pretty sure I had toggled it off on the back switch.

Can't say 100% there was no BMC standby power when card was installed or removed. Is that a known issue with possibly corrupting the BMC or something in this case?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is that a known issue with possibly corrupting the BMC or something in this case?
its generaly not a good idea to plug/unplug anything in powered state.
but the PSU switch disconnects AC line at most PSUs i know.
what left is at least electrostatic damage.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you are the second one today with BMC not working problems.
is the ID switch at the IO shield stuck ?

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
you are the second one today with BMC not working problems.
is the ID switch at the IO shield stuck ?
Thanks for that tip. I have the mobo out of the case at the moment and the UID SW is free and clear. I've toggled it many times and upon power-up the UID LED is off.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I do not recall at this point. I use a pc type power supply and I'm pretty sure I had toggled it off on the back switch.

Can't say 100% there was no BMC standby power when card was installed or removed. Is that a known issue with possibly corrupting the BMC or something in this case?

Please make sure you actually have sufficient standby power on the board, that the BMC is enabled through the jumper and is blinking the heartbeat after a moment.
Standby power is applied to the board when the PSUs switch on the back is turned ON and the System itself is still OFF.
You expect none of the Fans to spin, no other LEDs on the board to light up etc.

If you do not get the BMCs Heartbeat after a minute of waiting for it, you likely have a issue on the board itself.
Though, it is weird that the board would still turn on in such a case.
Is the BMC getting hot to the touch?

Please inform us of your findings.

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
Please make sure you actually have sufficient standby power on the board, that the BMC is enabled through the jumper and is blinking the heartbeat after a moment.
Standby power is applied to the board when the PSUs switch on the back is turned ON and the System itself is still OFF.
You expect none of the Fans to spin, no other LEDs on the board to light up etc.

If you do not get the BMCs Heartbeat after a minute of waiting for it, you likely have a issue on the board itself.
Though, it is weird that the board would still turn on in such a case.
Is the BMC getting hot to the touch?

Please inform us of your findings.
Upon applying power to the board (and with an ethernet cable in the IPMI port)

LE2 onboard power LED is steady green
CPU fan goes to 100%
lots of blinking yellow/green lights on the IPMI ethernet interface

LEDM1 - BMC heartbeat never comes on, never even blinks.
No post beeps of any kind
No keyboard lights
BMC is cold to the touch

Any attempt to ping or connect to the IP of the BMC times out.

If I short the jumpers for the power sw with a screwdriver, I can get the board to turn off (cpu fan stops and LE2 is off). The IPMI ethernet interface is still blinking away although it never comes up and can't connect to it.

I've ordered another board, but was hoping to resurrect this one. Oh well, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
LEDM1 - BMC heartbeat never comes on, never even blinks.
BMC is cold to the touch
looks to me the AST chip gets no supply voltage(not 5VSB, 3.3V or silimar)
there is a littlefuse that could be broken by too much current draw by the M.2 Card.
note there are capacitors that holds voltages for a longer time after power off the board.

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
looks to me the AST chip gets no supply voltage(not 5VSB, 3.3V or silimar)
there is a littlefuse that could be broken by too much current draw by the M.2 Card.
note there are capacitors that holds voltages for a longer time after power off the board.
Interesting, thanks. It's doubtful that would be a user serviceable item for this particular user. :)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Interesting, thanks. It's doubtful that would be a user serviceable item for this particular user. :)
You are certainly in a spot where you have no OEM approved "user serviceable" options!
That does not mean that you have no options.

If you have a multimeter to measure voltages and soldering equipment, we or rather i can talk you through it.

Reactions: RobertCO