x10sl7-f, SAS to expander backplane possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
background is:
I have a cse-826 left over (cheap 847 came in the way) i would like to use as a zfs storage box now.
Intended usage is vm-backups, bits of NFS and also to have a place to get some vm's temporary off my proxmox-nodes when doing some potential dangerous things while working on storage-plugins.
Sharing will be done by a mix of iscsi, srp and maybe iser via scst and also nfs. Network should be 1GBe and i'll need to put a Dual-Port cx2 with 1x qsfp + 1x sfp+ in there for connectivity to the proxmox san.

Goal would be as low as possible idle power with a reasonable investement for board, CPU and RAM.

in terms of Backplanes i have an A, a SAS2 Expander and also a SAS3 - Expander in the repositiory. currently sas2 Expander is mounted. (sas3 will most likely go into the back of the 847, has sas3 in front with 3008 and sas2 back on onboard 2108)

thinking quite some time now about the options, i finally came over the x10sl7-f with 2308 onboard + 1x pcie3 x8 for the mellanox and a spare pcie2 x4 what should be ok for a while. (and keep me from going 2011-3 and ddr4) .

the question is now, can the 8x SAS ports be hooked to the sas2 expander backplane with 2x fan-in cables (4x SATA/SAS -> sff 8087 + sgpio from the board) ?
If this Works, for my understanding it might also be possible to daisy-chain from the backplane via sff 8088 on bracket to an external JBOD in the future? 2308 should be ok for quite some drives, and it apears the chip is on internal x8, too.

any ideas/experiences?
also, other ideas how to turn the chassis into a zfs-based storage box that fits the above needs are really welcome.

Alex

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes. The 2308 chip should support the expander just fine. You need "reverse breakout cables" to connect to the expander. SFF-8087 reverse breakout cables for the SAS2 expander (or likely SFF-8644 reverse breakout cables for the SAS3 backplane).

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Great, thanks.
for sgpio, there should be two headers next to the SAS ports, are there cables that support them to pass the signal into the sff 8087 for the backplane?
or would i need to handle sgpio via separate cables then?

guess will not use the sas3 backplane, makes no sense with 2308.