X10SDV-4C-7TP4F Xeon D SAS Controller Overheating?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dsumike

Dec 7, 2015
What thermal paste did you use? I originally toyed with just screwing a fan straight into the heatsink, then I kind of got my mind stuck on a heatsink swap with heatsink/fan replacement, but honestly it's probably an adequate solution to just glue a fan on there.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just search for double sided thermal adhesive tape on Amazon. I don't remember which one I bought but there isn't much difference between them.

dsumike

Dec 7, 2015
These are helpful. You can screw on the 40mm fan on to the HSF . It's what I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z6S6QQ?tag=servecom-20
That's one of the things I was considering. What fan did you use? And do you have a photo of it attached? I'm curious how far those screws went down / if you were able to get it fully screwed into the fan to not have any wobble.

The one downside to this method is I wasn't sure how well it would work to ever replace a fan. Say one dies early on, are you threaded in the spot and there's not really an option to replace fan? Or is it pretty easy to re-use the same tapped location?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I don't have a picture. I moved the storage server to an E5v4 board. I had used a Noctua 40mm fan that I had lying around. These screws fit perfectly with only mild scarring. Whichever fan you use, get the same diameter screws they I have linked but ensure the length is a few mm more than the thickness of the fan. Easy to remove and move around.