X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Apr 13, 2016
Texas
Figured I'm at a point where I can start writing what my humble build is - at least currently.

Build’s Name: SomeGuyInTexas' Home NAS
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Ubuntu 16.04 / ZFS for NAS pools
CPU: Xeon D 1518
Motherboard: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-4C-7TP4F
Chassis: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 4U | SC743TQ-865B-SQ
Drives:
  • Boot: Samsung 256 GB EVO PRO
  • Data set 1: 2x Seagate 4TB NL-SAS drives (512b/sector - mirrored pair)
  • Data set 2: 6x HGST 6TB NL-SAS drives (4k native/sector - zpool layout TBD)
  • LG BluRay drive
RAM: 64GB (2x Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB DDR4 )
Add-in Cards: None
Power Supply: Chassis 865W PSU
Other Bits:

Motherboard, DRAM and Chassis all ordered from WiredZone.

This has been my first SuperMicro build, and I can now say that I've experienced their reputed documentation challenges. :) The connectors to the motherboard were fairly straightforward, though when I first got the motherboard there was only the "quick start guide" available. That guide didn't say anything about NOT connecting both the 24 ATX power connection and the 8 pin 12VDC connection at the same time. Nothing bad happened, thankfully, but this weekend I found that the User's Guide was available and it said not to hook up both at the same time.

The chassis web page on WiredZone indicated that an air shroud was included, though one wasn't shipped with it. I've sent a note to WiredZone for feedback - we'll see if it was an oversight or if that version of the chassis doesn't come with an air shroud. Either way, I can definitely say this will need the air shroud. Just letting the system idle after booting Ubuntu, the CPU temp will get to 79C, which makes me very concerned about cooling under load.

The only other hiccup so far was figuring out the SAS2 backplane jumper settings - the defaults were set to I2C mode, and I needed to change it to SGPIO mode for proper topology layout in the CTRL-C layout. I haven't quite figured out how to get the LED settings to work properly (the CTRL-C "Identify" function doesn't work), but that will be sorted out later.

Near term goals will be getting my cooling setup completed, then move on to getting the ZFS layout finalized for the 6TB drives. It has been a very long time since I've set up a system for myself, it has been fun playing in a home lab environment.

Reactions: Continuum and Evan

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm sure once you get the shroud cooling will be fixed!

I recently got a 2P E5-2670 v1 system from another member here and it's a tower style system like yours, and uses 2x passive heat sinks, and it's dead silent and temps are much much lower than yours -- and these chips use a ton more power!

Reactions: SomeGuyInTexas

KJaneway

Jan 12, 2016
I'm also interested in that case. Can you give me an impression how noisy that case is? I looking for a (nearly) silent solution for my X10SDV-4C-7TP4F built.

Thx

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
I'm sure once you get the shroud cooling will be fixed!

I recently got a 2P E5-2670 v1 system from another member here and it's a tower style system like yours, and uses 2x passive heat sinks, and it's dead silent and temps are much much lower than yours -- and these chips use a ton more power!
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that this system should be quiet, and hope that the shroud gets me there. I believe Super micro had the design intention for this motherboard to go in a 1U box, hence the passive heatsink on the CPU.

Sent via Tapatalk

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
I'm also interested in that case. Can you give me an impression how noisy that case is? I looking for a (nearly) silent solution for my X10SDV-4C-7TP4F built.

Thx
Hi KJaneway,

I will update this thread once I get an air shroud in and then have a chance to tune the fan speeds. Right now it isn't loud, but is far from being silent - it would be fine under a desk, but not in a living room currently. Of course, being a full tower, it won't be a living room system anyway - unless it pulls double duty as a coffee table. ☺

Sent via Tapatalk

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The chassis web page on WiredZone indicated that an air shroud was included, though one wasn't shipped with it. I've sent a note to WiredZone for feedback - we'll see if it was an oversight or if that version of the chassis doesn't come with an air shroud.
According to the Supermicro specs for that chassis, no air shroud is included, but there are 3 optional ones depending on which motherboard is installed. However, since the chassis manual dates from 2011, it may be that none of the 3 air shrouds actually fit your motherboard. You'll probably end up needing to ask Supermicro what the correct part number is for the shroud you need.

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
According to the Supermicro specs for that chassis, no air shroud is included, but there are 3 optional ones depending on which motherboard is installed. However, since the chassis manual dates from 2011, it may be that none of the 3 air shrouds actually fit your motherboard. You'll probably end up needing to ask Supermicro what the correct part number is for the shroud you need.
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the heads up --- I did some searching, and it appears that there IS an adjustable air shroud (MCP-310-49002-0N) but unfortunately I cannot find a quick source of that one from a US based vendor. I'll have to carve out some time to get on the phone it seems...

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Thanks for the heads up --- I did some searching, and it appears that there IS an adjustable air shroud (MCP-310-49002-0N)
That part is described as "X9 Universal Air Shroud", so I'd still suggest checking with Supermicro to make sure it will work with your X10 board and heatsink.
I cannot find a quick source of that one from a US based vendor. I'll have to carve out some time to get on the phone it seems...
There's an eBay seller named tm_space that has loads and loads of new-with-warranty Supermicro (and other) stuff. I've done lots of business with them. They don't show that particular part, but I'd suggest doing a search for "shroud" in that store and using the "ask seller a question about the item" and ask if they have the part you need. If they do, they'll put up a "Buy It Now" link for you.

Reactions: SomeGuyInTexas
Apr 13, 2016
Texas
That part is described as "X9 Universal Air Shroud", so I'd still suggest checking with Supermicro to make sure it will work with your X10 board and heatsink.

There's an eBay seller named tm_space that has loads and loads of new-with-warranty Supermicro (and other) stuff. I've done lots of business with them. They don't show that particular part, but I'd suggest doing a search for "shroud" in that store and using the "ask seller a question about the item" and ask if they have the part you need. If they do, they'll put up a "Buy It Now" link for you.
Thanks Terry - after talking w/WiredZone and going through the SM catalogue, I went the with the X9 Universal Shroud as it is expected to work with this motherboard due to the adjustable nature of the shroud. Expectation was set that it won't be a perfect fit, but definitely viable. Huge kudo's to WiredZone, who after identifying the part and noting it WASN'T on their store site, added it to their site in a few hours. I am hugely impressed by WiredZone's customer support - they've definitely been responsive and helpful in every engagement I've had with them.

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
For completeness sake, just wanted to update my own build thread - the shroud (MCP-310-49002-0N) was delivered today and I've installed it. As I noted over in the motherboard thread on flexATX boards, the shroud made a noticeable difference right away. Quote from that thread below:

Just installed my MCP-310-49002-0N and ran through a very, very (non-scientific) test. Doing a Handbrake encode of The Waterboy (see, non-scientific, maybe something's wrong with my medulla oblongata :) ) prior to having the shroud installed, at the halfway point (about 15 minutes) the CPU temp (according to IPMI) was 93 C, and the fans were blowing at 2500 RPM. Idle temp prior to the shroud was about 72 - 74 C.

So, shroud installed - same test - at the halfway point, CPU temperature was 73 C and fans running at 2200 RPM. Shut down the test, wait five minutes, CPU temp had dropped to 59 C and fans were running at 1600 RPM, which seems to be my new idle temperature. Of course, this is far from time tested - I just wanted to report in on early results. So far, I'm a happy camper. :)
Sound wise, with the fans running in the 1500 - 1600 RPM range, this system is definitely office quiet. I don't think it is living room or bedroom quiet, but that is a very subjective thing.