X10qbi Ram Riser Locations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fearless_Potential

Apr 18, 2020
Earlier this year, I bought a 3TB X10qbi. I've had issues with stability since shortly after purchase. The issues mostly circle around the "geometry" (term from other user on this forum) of the RAM riser boards. Slot 1a and slot 4b; the outside edge slots. Slot 4b has been fine after some gentle adjustments. Slot 1a has an issue where the board will not maintain a stable connection to the power connector. This requires me to reseat the board around every 3 weeks.

My questions are: do I need to have all 8 populated board in place for the server to post/work properly? Can I remove 1a and 4b? Do I need to have all "a" or all "b" slots populated? I want to salvage this expense if I can.

Thanks!

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
My questions are: do I need to have all 8 populated board in place for the server to post/work properly?
Why not simply try? ;) If it POSTs, the config works. If it doesn't, the config doesn't work.

As far as I remember from my experiments, it'll work if some slots are unpopulated.

X10QBi manual says:
1701892515311.png
1701892557500.png

1701892589504.png

Fearless_Potential

Apr 18, 2020
That’s what I’m going to tackle today. This thought was from a brainstorm last night about trying to salvage the box. The data center is an hour away, so if it’s futile, I’d rather save the time.

That second screenshot seems to have exactly the info I need.

Thanks

Fearless_Potential

Apr 18, 2020
Just to add a little closure to my question- yes the diagram for 4 riser cards fully populated does indeed boot properly and significantly faster than 8.

Eventually, I’ll experiment with 5/6/7 riser cards and see how it does. For now, I just need it to run more than 3 weeks.

Reactions: NablaSquaredG