X10DRI - Saying DIMMs are failing?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So I just got a used X10DRI, some E5-2630v4s, and 4x16gb DDR4-2133P ram for it, but it is saying that the dimms are failing in all the slots no matter which dimm I use or which slot i put it in. Am I missing something? Or should I try getting some different ram for it? Supposedly the E5 V4 processors support this ram but I can't get it to get past the B7 post code without it saying failed dimms.

I already tried cleaning the cpus too to see if that helped, but no difference. I'm testing it on a cardboard box right now before i put it into my system.

Last edited:

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Ddr4 not ddr3, was a typo
No way to update bios, doesnt fully post

I ordered a pair of v3 cpus and some ram to see if maybe that would work though.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Nope, not possible.

Hook up a laptop with wireshark to the IPMI network interface, the Supermicro IPMI usually makes a promiscous ARP announcement where you can get the IP

You could also reflash the BMC.. This will reset network and user/password

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So I'm not seeing any sort of ARP request from the ipmi on the board, nothing shows up on a packet capture using wireshark. So it must have a static IP set but IDK how I even go about finding what it is.

So is this likely an issue because I have v4 processors and probably don't have the latest bios? Or what could be causing it to not want to post in the first place? Its giving the same message for all ram slots and all 4 sticks I tried which is weird. Or is it possible I have a bad board?

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
I have a pair of E5-2630v3s coming, so I can update the bios that way. It sucks not having extra ram or CPUs around to test stuff. All I have is previous gen stuff, Socket 2011 Xeons and DDR3 ram.

Yes it's 2Rx4 16gb Micron Dimms. They are PC4-2133P.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Is this due to BIOS version? It is funny I am just having the same problem on x10drg-q and I thought I somehow messed up the board during installation as it was working before. On the other hand, I don't remember if I tested the board with V4 cpus.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is this due to BIOS version?
as the board was born V4 does'nt exists, so the first BIOS 1.x can't support broadwell-EP

CPU
  • Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3, Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v4*

Note
  • † BIOS version 2.0 or above is required

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
So I'm not seeing any sort of ARP request from the ipmi on the board, nothing shows up on a packet capture using wireshark. So it must have a static IP set but IDK how I even go about finding what it is.

So is this likely an issue because I have v4 processors and probably don't have the latest bios? Or what could be causing it to not want to post in the first place? Its giving the same message for all ram slots and all 4 sticks I tried which is weird. Or is it possible I have a bad board?
If your IPMI is configured with a fixed IP, during the boot time, Board will display the IPMI address. I had to also fiddle on my monitor to display the full IP address correctly as display was shifted. Once you see the IP address, for example, 172.32.200.22 then you can set a direct cat connection between a computer and the SM motherboard based systm. Have the new bios ready on that computer. On the computer, set the IPV4 setting for the network adapter as fixed. Choose an IP address on the same subnet, for example 172.31.200.1, subnet mask, 255.255.255.0 and gateway ip address again on the same subnet, 172.31.200.1. Open a browser and enter the ip adress of SuperMicro IPMI, in this case172.22.200.22. Enter the default username and password: ADMIN/ADMIN and you can start the BIOS update process. I just finished mine and it is booting to Windows.

I was really scared last night, thinking that I shorted the MB and ruined it because of the leak from water cooling loop. At least that one is fixed but my loop is still leaking and I don't know where it is coming from, seems like a small hole from radiator :( Water cooling is PITA.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Mine just shows the boot splash and then says that the dimms are failing, and freezes there. It has quick boot enabled so it doesnt show the ip.

Last edited:

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Yep, so it ended up being that the bios wasnt updated. My E5-2630v3s got here today, put one in and it booted up. Currently trying to update bios but to do it through IPMI it wants me to activate the board for some reason. Guess I will just do it through FreeDOS.