[WTS-US-FL] Norco RPC-4224/4220 + Supermicro JBOD Stuff + FREE Items

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hey everyone. I rearranged my server gear and I'm downsizing a bit so I'm hoping someone will find these pieces useful. I'm open to some price negotiation, especially if you're buying multiples of the small piece parts. I searched eBay for US sellers to set a price baseline, so it's likely some of this is available cheaper from China. All prices include shipping within the continental US, except for the Norco which I won't ship. I'll discount items for local pickup. I can do Paypal and I'm pretty sure my wife can do Venmo. Thanks for looking!

Norco RPC-4224/4220 Bundle ($500?) [SOLD!]
First up is a Norco RPC-4224 chassis, modded for better airflow and low noise. All six internal fans have been replaced with Noctua for the best ratio of air movement (and static pressure) to noise. There are also three Noctua Y-adapter cables so that the six fans can be plugged into only three ports on your motherboard.

Note that the server components (mobo, etc.) shown in the picture are not included. I'll list below specifically what is included, or else please ask if you're unsure. To continue with the mods, there's a 4th fan cable which runs through a small hole in the side of the chassis, through the rack ear, to near the front handle. This is used to connect a custom 3d-printed fan bezel containing three more 140mm Noctua fans. There are two more Noctua Y-adapter cables in the fan bezel, so all three fans connect to the single port from the chassis. Re-usable zip ties are used to hold the fan bezel to the front handles. These pictures show how that looks both attached and detached.

And that's not quite all. If you buy this chassis I'll throw in for FREE a Norco RPC-4220 chassis which you can use as spare parts. The 4220 is missing one drive sled and two more are broken-but-usable, but that's 17 good extra sleds and possibly some backplane parts or whatever else might be compatible between the two chassis.

The RPC-4220 does include old components (mobo, CPU, memory, etc.) and one of the largest coolers I've ever seen. It's also been modded with a replacement fan wall to hold 3x 120mm fans, but those are not Noctua. In theory you could buy an expander and convert the 4220 to a JBOD to hang off the 4224, but I'm not encouraging that. I really think it's more of a "spare parts" situation.

With all that said, here's what's included in the Norco bundle:
- Norco RPC-4224 chassis, EMPTY, but otherwise complete (24 sleds) and functional
- Corsair HX 750W 80PLUS-silver power supply
- 4x Noctua NF-A8 80mm fans in mid wall
- 2x Noctua NF-R8 80mm fans in rear panel
- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 140mm fans in custom 3d-printed front bezel
- 5x Noctua NA-YC1 splitter cables and at least one Noctua NA-EC1 fan extension (everything is pre-wired, ready to plug all 9 fans into 4 ports on your mobo)
- 4x SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables. Each cable handles 4 drives, so you can run 16 with this. You'll need 2 more cables (and a total of three 8-port HBAs) to run all 24 drives
- Norco RPC-4220 chassis with modded 3x120mm fan wall, 17 good sleds and some junk components
Now the catch, this bundle is LOCAL PICKUP/DELIVERY ONLY near Orlando or Melbourne, FL. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance to unload it around central FL, say an hour radius around Orlando.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out what to sell this for, since it looks like brand new RPC-4224 chassis are going for $675-700. I usually ask ~50% of new price as a starting point, so that'd be ~$350. Then it contains ~$200 worth of Noctua gear, so that's another $100 at 50%, up to $450. Then there's the power supply worth over $100, the SAS cables, the 3d-printed parts, and of course the whole spare 4220 chassis being thrown in. It seems like $500 is a decent starting point? But frankly for that much cash I'd buy a Supermicro SC-846 instead, so I'm willing to talk about it. I'd also consider adding in some of the parts below, like the 9210 HBA or 4U heatsink, if that helps you complete a system.

LSI and Supermicro Parts
All of my HBAs have been flashed to LSI IT mode firmware if applicable (no RAID support), and include both a full size and low profile bracket. They were all just pulled out of my working systems, along with several JBOD components I'm no longer using. Again, prices are based on eBay US sellers and I'm willing to talk, especially if you want to bundle up the JBOD conversion parts into one sale.

$40ea - SAS9200-8e (2 available) (1 sold, 1 available) [includes one 1m SFF-8088 cable]
SAS9200-8e.jpg

$40 - SAS9210-8i
SAS9210-8i.jpg

$75 - Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 (I'll include a blank I/O shield as well for your JBOD chassis, just remind me or tell me you want it before I ship)
CSE-PTJBOD-CB2.jpg

$35ea - Supermicro CBL-0352L-LP, dual port SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 converter bracket (2 available)
CBL-0352L-LP.jpg

$65 - Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 active heatsink 4U
SNK-P0050AP4.jpg

$10ea - various server fans
I don't really want to sell these as singles, as the shipping cost would be most of the value. Most of them go for $12-20 individually on eBay, so I've priced in a discount for buying a few at a time.
7x Supermicro FAN-0126L4 (Nidec 80mm v80e12bha5-57 in hot swap carrier for SC-847)
3x Supermicro FAN-0095L4 (San Ace 80mm 109p0812p1g09 in hot swap carrier for SC-846)
2x San Ace 80mm 109p0812p2c031 (no carrier, I believe these are for the rear panel of either an SC-847 or SC-846?)
3x Delta 80mm afb0812m (I believe these came out of Norco chassis?)
Various Fans.jpg

$45ea - Supermicro PWS-902-1r power supply (2 available)
[Let me know if you need a photo]

Free Stuff!
If you live in or around Orlando or Melbourne, FL we can arrange to meet and this stuff is yours.
FREE - nMediaPC home theater (HTPC) chassis
nMEDIAPC.jpg
There's an old system inside (mobo, CPU, RAM, 380W PSU...) but it's likely garbage. Case looks nice in a living room.

FREE - Dell PowerConnect 2508 (8x 1Gb) switch w/ rack ears
FREE - Dell PowerConnect 2608 (8x 1Gb) switch w/o rack ears
FREE - IBM BR10i (SAS3082e-r) flashed to LSI IT mode (full size bracket only, no LP) (2 available) [SOLD!]

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and itronin

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
damn I wish you could ship that HTPC chassis to OR, but shipping would be stupidly expensive.

Reactions: Samir

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Yeah that's my exact concern. It'd likely be over $100 to ship, and the risk of damage isn't worth it. I'm sure I'll have a hard time finding a local buyer, but keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the interest anyway!

I am thinking about a road trip to Kentucky this fall to do the bourbon trail, so if you were somewhere along the route from Florida I'd be happy to talk. Oregon is a bit far out of the way though :)

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I'm interested in the Norco gear, and maybe the hbcs. I'll be passing through Orlando on Wednesday. Will PM.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
FREE - IBM BR10i (SAS3082e-r) flashed to LSI IT mode (full size bracket only, no LP) (2 available)
The controllers are quite old and I remember they had some kind of limitation so I replaced them years ago with newer cards. It was either a limit on how large of a drive they could address, or maybe they were SAS1/2 and incompatible with SAS2/3, something like that. Or maybe they don't work with expanders? I really can't recall, and I doubt anyone will want them when good SAS controllers are so cheap nowadays, but just in case you're running an old system and want a spare HBA... Otherwise these are headed for the eWaste recycler.
If these end up heading to the recycler, let me know as I'm sure they'll be an upgrade to something that I'm using and I have a UPS account to send you a prepaid label for them. :)

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
If these end up heading to the recycler, let me know as I'm sure they'll be an upgrade to something that I'm using and I have a UPS account to send you a prepaid label for them. :)
You're welcome to them Samir if you want them. I just did a little searching and reminded myself that the limitation is that they can't address drives larger than 2TB. So nowadays that's pretty useless, I don't suspect anyone will want them.

Funny enough just last week as part of this upgrade/downsize process I gave away all of my 2TB drives as well. Had about 10 of them, but giving up the Norco means I didn't have enough drive bays to keep them around anymore. A work friend got a few for spares for his NAS, and a neighbor got a few for an rPi cluster he's building. If I had any left I'd have offered to ship them with the BR10i's :)

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You're welcome to them Samir if you want them. I just did a little searching and reminded myself that the limitation is that they can't address drives larger than 2TB. So nowadays that's pretty useless, I don't suspect anyone will want them.

Funny enough just last week as part of this upgrade/downsize process I gave away all of my 2TB drives as well. Had about 10 of them, but giving up the Norco means I didn't have enough drive bays to keep them around anymore. A work friend got a few for spares for his NAS, and a neighbor got a few for an rPi cluster he's building. If I had any left I'd have offered to ship them with the BR10i's :)
I'll take them! I still have some systems that will be perfectly find with the 2TB limit. :) yhpm. :)

Glad those 2TB drives went to good uses. :) Working hardware living on makes me happy. :)

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Updated the original post to show that the Norco combo has been sold, along with one of the 9200-8e cards. I deleted several of the photos as well to remove some clutter. I'll continue to remove photos of the items that sell to focus attention on what's still available. The BR10i cards are also gone thanks to Samir.