[WTB] [USA-NY] Gigabit Managed Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JamesL

May 27, 2020
Hi,

I want to learn more about networking so I am looking for two switches with:

• 10+ Port (x1)
  • 5+ Port (x1)
  • Gigabit (10G SFP+ optional)
  • <30W idle per switch (the lower the better)
  • Fully Managed
  • Low/No noise
  • <$100
I highly prefer local sales near NYC but I am willing to pay for shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
I don't know about usage/wattage, but depending on your brand preferences, some options around your budget may be:

- Cisco 2960
- Cisco 3750 (X or G)
- Force10 S60 (for a 1Gbit switch (with some 10Gbit uplinks), this unit has a lot of cache/buffer)
- older Dell PowerConnect 6224 or 6248 (though for the small difference in price, I'd suggest the above mentioned S60)

I'm pretty sure all of these support layer 3 (routing), and definitely layer 2 (vlans).

Reactions: Samir and JamesL

JamesL

May 27, 2020
I don't know about usage/wattage, but depending on your brand preferences, some options around your budget may be:

- Cisco 2960
- Cisco 3750 (X or G)
- Force10 S60 (for a 1Gbit switch (with some 10Gbit uplinks), this unit has a lot of cache/buffer)
- older Dell PowerConnect 6224 or 6248 (though for the small difference in price, I'd suggest the above mentioned S60)

I'm pretty sure all of these support layer 3 (routing), and definitely layer 2 (vlans).
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into them but some of them may be too loud or too power hungry for me. Someone near me is selling an HP 1810-24G (J9450A) for $30. Would this be a good deal?

Reactions: Samir

infidelkastro

Mar 22, 2021
North Carolina
1810-24G (J9450A)
Ran the JE006A variant for a while back when I was an apartment dweller. It sat in the living room near where my cable modem was and the sound from its one fan was simply too much, I resorted to a fan mod. The logs afterwards were spammed with FAN FAILED messages, but it quietly ran just fine for a couple more years. Still have it stored away somewhere. L3 was cumbersome, but a solid L2 switch.

Reactions: JamesL

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Hi,

I want to learn more about networking so I am looking for two switches with:

• 10+ Port (x1)
  • 5+ Port (x1)
  • Gigabit (10G SFP+ optional)
  • <30W idle per switch (the lower the better)
  • Fully Managed
  • Low/No noise
  • <$100
I highly prefer local sales near NYC but I am willing to pay for shipping.
I can offer you my Aruba S2500-24p with a set of low noise SUNON fans if you'd like to do the fan mod. I'm near the city.