[WTB] [US-IL] Cheap/low power consumption GPU for the server build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
I have an Nvidia Quadro T600 and an Intel Arc A380 available, PM if interested.
thank you sir, probably way outside of my price range . i was hoping for cheap, low end, low power card and both you mention are very recent (this decade)

Reactions: Samir

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Cross posting b/c this topic tends to come up a lot...

Perhaps buy a real server? You can easily get a Dell rx20 (i.e., 320, 330, 620, 720) /w free shipping for dirt cheap these days. Check eBay.

V3 xeons (i.e., e5-2640 v3- $6 on ebay) and DDR3 memory are dirt cheap or you can go with the rx30 series (i.e., 330, 630, 730) and use V4 xeons (i.e., e5-2640 v4 - $8 on eBay) and DDR4 - still dirt cheap.

You can literally get cpus that were thousands of dollars 5-7 years ago for $15 today...

In the end you'll spend maybe $200-250 and have all the functionality of a real server with the hardware that was designed for the purpose you seek. Is saving $200-250 really worth the headache of trying to make random setup a semi-functional server?

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Cross posting b/c this topic tends to come up a lot...

Perhaps buy a real server? You can easily get a Dell rx20 (i.e., 320, 330, 620, 720) /w free shipping for dirt cheap these days. Check eBay.

V3 xeons (i.e., e5-2640 v3- $6 on ebay) and DDR3 memory are dirt cheap or you can go with the rx30 series (i.e., 330, 630, 730) and use V4 xeons (i.e., e5-2640 v4 - $8 on eBay) and DDR4 - still dirt cheap.

You can literally get cpus that were thousands of dollars 5-7 years ago for $15 today...

In the end you'll spend maybe $200-250 and have all the functionality of a real server with the hardware that was designed for the purpose you seek. Is saving $200-250 really worth the headache of trying to make random setup a semi-functional server?
fair question - to me 'server' means focus on compute (and storage). high power, high performance, somewhat redundant loud piece of equipment that is still down is common component failed. for my own homelab I went instead for all of my 'compute' needs to Proxmox and clustered 3x HP SF001 hardware pieces when Walmart was getting rid of it for $75 new , with warranty. Microcenter was giving away i7-10700 cheaply when for 16 cores and after adding basic SSD and 32 GB RAM I have myself a cluster of 3 notes to play/work with, that draw very little from the wall (<10W idle consumption), give me full hardware redundancy, etc. So my need is not compute at this point. This gives me 48 cores of i7-10700 + 96 GB of RAM to work across VMs and containers, with little power, and hardware redundancy. and learning Proxmox was cool

What I was lacking was storage - I had 3 bay basic QNAP at that time and wanted more storage, here came TrueNas using hardware that was collecting dust anyway (Ryzen 1700 + Asrock X370 MB + 64 GB RAM) . In went 6x14TB hard drives +2x SSD for boot volume and off I went for last two years. that is the piece of hardware I want to add remote/local management or graphic card to. Not sure how buying a computer new , loud, high consumption server would help me with that... I also looked at NAS off the shelf options however once you cross the 4 bay boundary NAS companies assume this is pro/semi-pro market and prices goes up to crazy level.

if you have recommendation of 'server' that is not compute focused, power power, and 6+ bays, I would be happy to hear your thoughts/suggestions. adding $30-50 GPU is trivial , adding $200 plus pi based solution is much more expensive. building another $300 server just for storage? I dont know..

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I'd say a r520 or r530 then- since all your drives are SATA you don't need power hungry sas controllers. Run 1x e5-26xxL v3/v4 series cpu (you have the option to expand later since r5x series are dual processors capable but are usually fitted with just 1). 1 p/s and you're golden. Plus you have 6 or 12 3.5 drive bays- perfect if you ever decide to expand in the future.

Reactions: EngChiSTH and Samir

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
I'd say a r520 or r530 then- since all your drives are SATA you don't need power hungry sas controllers. Run 1x e5-26xxL v3/v4 series cpu (you have the option to expand later since r5x series are dual processors capable but are usually fitted with just 1). 1 p/s and you're golden. Plus you have 6 or 12 3.5 drive bays- perfect if you ever decide to expand in the future.

thank you - what is the power consumption on these servers? I think the CPUs themselves are 13 years old. our electricity in IL is $0.13-$0.14 per kWh here in USA/Illinois. Reddit search says ~100W without the drives..

Reactions: Samir and redeamon

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
It all depends on what is under the hood - If you run 1 cpu (L & V4 version), only necessary ram (ram uses 1-3w per stick), no sas (remove perc controller and just run the backplane straight to the m/b- sata only), low fan speed, 1 p/s- what else is there?

A bridge chip, cpu, bmc and maybe a few other chips, that's it. Idle wattage will be very low- I'd say sub 45w if not lower.

---

In this day in age, I'm not sure why someone would by a NAS device. Just get a used server and call it a day. It's often cheaper, far more powerful (you can run real cpus), far more expandability, functionality, reliability and even some IT experience. Yeah you'll have to install an OS and figure out what services you want, but I think it's worth it if you're serious about your setup.

The only downside is size (rack mount devices are big & heavy) and time.

Last edited:

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
It all depends on what is under the hood - If you run 1 cpu (L & V4 version), only necessary ram (ram uses 1-3w per stick), no sas (remove perc controller and just run the backplane straight to the m/b- sata only), low fan speed, 1 p/s- what else is there?

A bridge chip, cpu, bmc and maybe a few other chips, that's it. Idle wattage will be very low- I'd say sub 45w if not lower.

---

In this day in age, I'm not sure why someone would by a NAS device. Just get a used server and call it a day. It's often cheaper, far more powerful (you can run real cpus), far more expandability, functionality, reliability and even some IT experience. Yeah you'll have to install an OS and figure out what services you want, but I think it's worth it if you're serious about your setup.

The only downside is size (rack mount devices are big & heavy) and time.
one item - one point of failure. we can think of it being redundant this or that (PSU, etc) however it is still one motherboard, one BIOS (you upgrade or tinker with it, everything is down), and most of the item overpowered for what it needs to do function wise... if instead if have a compute node( or nodes on my case), well they are not expected to have any slow storage or much storage (SSD is still expensive if you start going into multiple TBs) and they NFS to storage server/NAS.

Storage is supposed to be low power, always on, just doing its job. in my case it is a truenas build that I think is awesome in terms of what and how ZFS is organized and managed . Can I run extensions/plugins/containers/jails on it? Sure! and Truenas makes sense if you already have some/most of the hardware, ready to tinker, and want more than couple of bays otherwise there is definitely place for QNAP/Synology especially in 1-2 bay spare, impossible to beat for that they offer IMHO. I started with them, found them to be rock solid 6+ years in, updated regularly, very low power consumption and 'just work'. However for higher capacities the DYU is significantly more value offering..

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
thank you - what is the power consumption on these servers? I think the CPUs themselves are 13 years old. our electricity in IL is $0.13-$0.14 per kWh here in USA/Illinois. Reddit search says ~100W without the drives..
My r420 idled @ 80w with drives, and does it matter that the CPUs are 13 years old when the alternative are AMD CPUs that can barely compete even though they were launched in 2017.

Reactions: EngChiSTH

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
My r420 idled @ 80w with drives, and does it matter that the CPUs are 13 years old when the alternative are AMD CPUs that can barely compete even though they were launched in 2017.
ok, thank you. FWIW I think AMD caught up and passed intel by around 2017-2018 and now far passed Intel.. Ryzen 3 and 4 is better, faster, lower power, and better node tech when anything Intel had recently... Prior to 2017 and around 2013 the Bulldozer was bull..

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
I've got a PNY Quadro P400 (full height bracket). $40 shipped (USPS Priority)IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2554.jpg