EU [WTB][To close] Mini itx c3558 or c3758 board with 8 sata

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rockerz2k

Nov 18, 2021
Hi,
I would like to build a backup NAS with a low power mini-itx board.
So I couldbe interested in either Supermicro or Asrock rack c3558/c3758 boards with max 16 to 32 G of ECC ram and active cooling.
I’m based in France (and that’s my first thread).
Thank you all

Reactions: Samir

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
Active coolers from Supermicro make some high pitch noise. Possibly less annoying than the noise from 8 spinners but still….
For building in a non-server case, you may as well put a Noctua NF-A6x25 on a "passive" cooler, with two strips of gaffer tape to secure it to the sides of the heatsink (including in vertical position). It's quieter than the native active cooler.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
@rockerz2k should already be familiar with the Supermicro C0057A4L on their Xeon D board. Same active heatsink goes on A2SDi boards. :)

rockerz2k

Nov 18, 2021
Active coolers from Supermicro make some high pitch noise. Possibly less annoying than the noise from 8 spinners but still….
For building in a non-server case, you may as well put a Noctua NF-A6x25 on a "passive" cooler, with two strips of gaffer tape to secure it to the sides of the heatsink (including in vertical position). It's quieter than the native active cooler.
I agree but the issue is that my case have the motherboard vertically mounted. So a bit trickier

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
It seems like it would be possible to replace the fan (50x50x10) on the C0057A4L... wonder if anybody has tried?

rockerz2k

Nov 18, 2021
I would love to fit a noctua on it, but I couldn’t figure out how to remove the fan without removing the heatsink

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
It seems like it would be possible to replace the fan (50x50x10) on the C0057A4L... wonder if anybody has tried?
Yes, replaced them with Gelid Silent 5 ones, although only 3 Pin they are much less noisy than the original ones. Keeps even a C3958 as cool as the original.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I would love to fit a noctua on it, but I couldn’t figure out how to remove the fan without removing the heatsink
I don't think Noctua makes a 50mm fan.
Yes, replaced them with Gelid Silent 5 ones, although only 3 Pin they are much less noisy than the original ones. Keeps even a C3958 as cool as the original.
Ah, very cool! 3-pin means you lose modulation so it runs at constant speed?

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
Unplug the fan, unscrew the heatsink, run stress-ng to heat and soften the thermal compound (at worst the board shuts itself down…), unplug the computer, carefully wiggle the warm heatsink and remove it, let cool and clean thermal compound. Then you can unscrew the fan to replace it, and put back the heatsink assembly with new thermal paste.

Or you can get a version with passive heatsink and put a Noctua on it. I repeat: With two strips of gaffer tape on the sides of the heatsink. That's perfectly sufficient to hold the fan, even in vertical position.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Back to original topic: German electronic retailer „Jacob.de“ has A2SDI-4C-HLN4F in stock for around 400€. It’s the passive cooled one so you might ad a 60 Noctua fan yourself.
Very reliable shop, does shipping to EU.
You have to go there via this link, otherwise it’s 30€ more if you go direkt.