WTB: Supermicro rack rails

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I picked up a 42U rack and would like to install my server on it. It's a SC846. I did some research and I seem to have the newer/thinner rail mounts. So I want MCP-290-00053-0N. I found a few used ones on ebay, but I can get new sets for about the same price. Pfftt.

I thought I would check with the group here to see if anyone has some or has a place to look for a good deal.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I picked up a 42U rack and would like to install my server on it. It's a SC846. I did some research and I seem to have the newer/thinner rail mounts. So I want MCP-290-00053-0N. I found a few used ones on ebay, but I can get new sets for about the same price. Pfftt.

I thought I would check with the group here to see if anyone has some or has a place to look for a good deal.
Cheapest place I ever found was Newegg. Think they are around $72 but I bought all mine when they had a $10 off coupon code. So it made them about the same price as used sets on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
That's what I'm finding as well. Annoyingly, recyclers want about $60-$65 for used, based on a couple counteroffers I've gotten. No point in used for that price if I can get a complete new package for $70. Even Supermicro themselves sells them for about that price.

I'm leaning toward just getting some of the $30 shelf style rails from Amazon someone here mentioned in an older thread. I have enough vertical space open that I can just leave a gap above it to work on it if I want to.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX

Cheapest I've seen of late is about $45 + FS for a used set (both inner & outer) and posted in the deals section. These are compatible for CSE-216 chassis and extend out fully. Should be similar to the SM MCP-290-00053-0N.
SuperMicro Super Server 2U 3U 4U Rapid Sliding Rail Kit CSE-828 8026B

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
That's what I'm finding as well. Annoyingly, recyclers want about $60-$65 for used, based on a couple counteroffers I've gotten. No point in used for that price if I can get a complete new package for $70. Even Supermicro themselves sells them for about that price.

I'm leaning toward just getting some of the $30 shelf style rails from Amazon someone here mentioned in an older thread. I have enough vertical space open that I can just leave a gap above it to work on it if I want to.
that's funny... my logic is almost reverse of yours. I see $70 new, and $50-$60 used and I think to myself, new or used they are all the same to me, why not save $10-$20 bucks for the same thing!

Reactions: nthu9280

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@BLinux I thought the same way. It's a piece of metal probably slid back and forth all of 10 times in its entire life. $45 vs $72+ship. For >45% off, it made sense to get the used set for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
If it was 45 vs 72+shipping, sure. But it's 65 vs 72, both shipped. Even if it's not a moving part, I don't see any benefit to used.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Well, I figure I'm getting any extra bits that come with the new setup. Hardware, instructions that probably suck, and usually some warranty support for whatever that's worth. And Newegg is one of the easiest places to return incorrect items to. I've had some ebay sellers try to jerk me around when they clearly sent the wrong item. Would you buy a used motherboard for $7 less than a new one? I wouldn't.

if $7 is really my tipping point, this isn't a good hobby to have..

And I'm leaning towards the shelf type for $30 instead. Where my rack will be pretty empty, leaving some space above this server for maintenance isn't a big deal. And I can always get the sliding type later if it bugs me enough.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017

I think the recommended rails for 4U SC846 chassis is MCP-290-00057-0N , which is thicker and comes as default with SC846 (due to heavy weight of 4U chassis and UL regulation concerns). I have couple pairs of un-used MCP-290-00057-0N rails that I'm willing to sell cheap. But shipping may be costly to other destinations if your are outside Toronto , Canada.

Last edited:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I think the recommended rails for 4U SC846 chassis is MCP-290-00057-0N , which is thicker and comes as default with SC846 (due to heavy weight of 4U chassis and UL regulation concerns). I have couple pairs of un-used MCP-290-00057-0N rails that I'm willing to sell cheap. But shipping may be costly to other destinations if your are outside Toronto , Canada.
Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember reading that those don't allow the server to come out all the way, but that's ok in my case.

I am in the US, but shipping might not be too terrible. If you would be willing to get it quoted, the destination would be Herriman, UT, 84096.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember reading that those don't allow the server to come out all the way, but that's ok in my case.

I am in the US, but shipping might not be too terrible. If you would be willing to get it quoted, the destination would be Herriman, UT, 84096.
Sent you a PM.