WTB - Narrow ILM 2011 active cooler

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Looking for a cpu cooler for a 2011-3 supermicro board (narrow ilm). Considering a 2U SNK-P0048AP4, but open to quieter/better options (I don't think there really is one). Located in MN USA. Thanks!

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I run X10SRi-F boards with E3-2620v3 CPU.
I run the SNK-P0048AP4 you are considering.

I swapped the OE fan with a Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM
(no need to bother with the low noise adapter).

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
I run X10SRi-F boards with E3-2620v3 CPU.
I run the SNK-P0048AP4 you are considering.

I swapped the OE fan with a Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM
(no need to bother with the low noise adapter).
This was one configuration I was considering. How well does the Noctua fan keep temps under control?

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Idle temps ~40 Degrees C this time of year (winter).
Idle temps ~50 Degrees C during the hottest months.
My boards are in 2U chassis and sit in an non-AC basement.
Hottest ambient temps get to about 85 degrees F in the basement during summer.

I don't run heavy CPU loads and trust the Noctua will do fine up to the 85W TDP for my CPU.
Beyond 85W TDP ... i'd look at larger chassis with better airflow ..but still keep the Noctua.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Idle temps ~40 Degrees C this time of year (winter).
Idle temps ~50 Degrees C during the hottest months.
My boards are in 2U chassis and sit in an non-AC basement.
Hottest ambient temps get to about 85 degrees F in the basement during summer.

I don't run heavy CPU loads and trust the Noctua will do fine up to the 85W TDP for my CPU.
Beyond 85W TDP ... i'd look at larger chassis with better airflow ..but still keep the Noctua.
40C is acceptable, but seems a tad high for idle (do 2011 v3's run hotter?). My dual 2650v2 setup idles around 30C with an Alpine 20 active cooler.

The CPU I ordered is a 2660v3 TDP 105W, I'm wondering if I should stick with a 3U chassis and get a larger cooler. Or I suppose the trade off is increased noise with the 2U cooler.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I agree 40C seems a little high for idle ... but I'm used to it now.
Keep in mind my temps are based on running a low air-flow Noctua (3000rpm tops) in a 2U chassis.

The more room you have to run larger, lower RPM fans, the quieter you can have your setup and maintain relatively low temps
vs. running the smaller fans.

You need to know if you will be pushing the CPU loads to really know if the Noctua will be okay for you - and then test it out.
Worst case is you let the OE fan spin up as needed for your CPU loads.

I will say the OE fan for the SNK-P0048AP4 was okay up to about 3400RPM .. then it became annoying to me.
(i used to sit arms length/reach to my lab so quiet was desired).

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Hmm maybe I'll try slapping an 80mm fan on top on the 1u passive heatsink that came with the motherboard. Kind of a hack, but if it does the job it will at least get me running. I don't think my chassis fans would push enough air to cool the passive heatsink alone.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Don’t have one to sell buy another common option is the Dynatron R27 & R24
Similar to the SM with noise though.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Not a lot of choice for 2U active coolers. Besides the Supermico, Dynatron makes one but its apparently very loud as well. Moving up to 3U gives more choices, including the Noctua NH-D9DX i4.

I've got two boards with 2011 Narrow ILM. For one, I 3D Printed some brackets that work with AMD "longitudinal clip" style heatsink/fans (AM3.FM2, etc). That expanded the selection considerably, but it would still be hard to find something 2U that would cool a 105W CPU well.

On the other board, I used an Asetek style liquid cooler (Corsair H55, but there are others with the same mounting) with an Asetek Narrow ILM bracket kit, which is available for under $10 from Asetek.

Hmm maybe I'll try slapping an 80mm fan on top on the 1u passive heatsink that came with the motherboard.
On the one board, I started out with a pair of 1U Supermicro SNK-P0057PS passive sinks, and put an 80mm fan on top with some sheetmetal screws that friction fit between the heatsink cooling blades. This actually worked quite well, but I was using 60w "L" series CPUs, so not as much heat.

Last edited:

Calochortus

Feb 8, 2019
There's not a lot of choice for narrow ILM at all. There are a few threads about it here but basically:
  • Supermicro
  • Dynatron Ear Blasters
  • Noctua NH series
I used a supermicro 4U SNK-P0050AP4 on an E5-2630 with Optimal and CPU fan is silent. Idles at 22C (17 ambient). But 4U doesn't help you any.

I did do my memory testing using an old AMD 939 Opteron heatsink and a bit of paste, so anything works for a while ;)

Last edited:

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
I’ve been running Dynatron R24 units on two separate open chassis stacks and they have been practically silent.
Neat setup, got anymore pics? Everything I read about the R24 says the contrary, that its a jet engine.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Neat setup, got anymore pics? Everything I read about the R24 says the contrary, that its a jet engine.
I had two similar setups (still have one) and went with the R24 for both. They can get loud but at idle they are nearly silent. I ran this setup at my desk so there was zero tolerance for noise.

Attachments

Last edited:

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Also ran a smaller stack with itx boards (though it doesn’t relate to the R24).
What are you running in those ITX configs? I've been toying with the idea of creating a low power pentium/i3 HA cluster to play around with.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
What are you running in those ITX configs? I've been toying with the idea of creating a low power pentium/i3 HA cluster to play around with.
They were E3-1275L v3 with 16GB ram and 256GB msata ssds as boot.

Worked out well as a test cluster for vmware upgrades and third party tools.

gillbot

Dec 30, 2015
Wellsburg, WV - USA
I use the dynatron r27 and swapped the fan to a panaflo 35cfm or so, didn’t like the temps so I went back to the stock fan at 7v and much better performance with tolerable noise levels.

Reactions: sno.cn